Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tire foam is not impressive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a brand new Continental Cross Contact LX Sport tire as a full-size spare for my Model X Refresh. You can see the "foam" solution inside, and I am not impressed! For some reason I expected the foam to fill up the entire tire. Or at least coat the interior of the tire. Instead the foam is simply a strip of foam, glued into the inside of the tire. I could have done that!

And there is even a gap in the foam. They didn't even measure the inside circumference correctly to cut a piece that fit!

IMG_9735.jpg
IMG_9736.jpg
IMG_9737.jpg
IMG_9738.jpg

IMG_9740.jpg
IMG_9741.jpg
IMG_9742.jpg

(relevant quote)
As noise reducing tire technology continues to spread, we see multiple variations of style, width, color, continuity and even placement of the foam. While this disparity may seem like random execution, it is intentional, with each manufacturer determining the ideal size, style and placement of the foam for each application. Examples of some of the different styles of foam we have found are pictured below:

Foam in Tires.PNG

But of course, someone is always going to make the assumption that "omg they forgot to do X".