Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire penalty on P3D Lateral G rating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much is tesla hamstringing itself without proper wheels and tires on the P3D? If it had come with forged wheel and say 265 Pilot Sport Cup tires (more in line with other 11 second cars) what could we expect in a lateral G rating that’s often published in auto media?

Does the lack of a limited slip cap it around 0.9g? Or would we see near 1.05G on wider, sticky tire late alpha uses?

How much is tesla hamstringing itself without proper wheels and tires on the P3D? If it had come with forged wheel and say 265 Pilot Sport Cup tires (more in line with other 11 second cars) what could we expect in a lateral G rating that’s often published in auto media?

Does the lack of a limited slip cap it around 0.9g? Or would we see near 1.05G on wider, sticky tire late alpha uses?

According to the article here, the Primacy all season tires were only good for .84g lateral grip but the M3P with the PS4s achieved .95g. Also worth noting from the article is the braking distance. 176ft 70-0 with the Primacy tires, 147ft 70-0 with the PS4s with better brakes as well. It would be interesting to see what you could get with some lightweight 18 or 19s with sticky tires. I think a swaybar upgrade may help.

2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance – Accelerative Excellence

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC

They did not hamstring themselves in the least. The Tesla Model 3 Performance is a road car not a track car. It comes with road tires that are actually the best street Tire you can put on a vehicle and not only that it's a special issue of that tire with different tread construction and not just acoustic foam.

For sure many of us have wished that there was a Rally Sport version of the Model 3 Performance, coming with lightweight forged wheels and actually something like 275 / 35 tires, upgraded brake pads, stainless steel lines, better brake fluid, but all those changes are relatively easy to effect. As for what the car is capable of on track tires with a full coilover kit and set up properly, it's more like 1.3 to 1.5 G's. And it doesn't need any version of 'limited slip'. This is an antiquated way of dealing with the traction limits of an internal combustion engine drivetrain. Those are obviated completely in track mode which allows a certain level of optimal slip and rotation.

Reactions: mcbarnet007
According to the article here, the Primacy all season tires were only good for .84g lateral grip but the M3P with the PS4s achieved .95g. Also worth noting from the article is the braking distance. 176ft 70-0 with the Primacy tires, 147ft 70-0 with the PS4s with better brakes as well. It would be interesting to see what you could get with some lightweight 18 or 19s with sticky tires. I think a swaybar upgrade may help.

2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance – Accelerative Excellence
Actually, even .84g is pretty darn good for a non-super street car.

I recently drove a Nitto NT01 265/40R18 (wide and sticky) with -1.55 front camber and -1.88 rear camber on the street and I was getting 300 wh/mi at 70mph freeway speed. I think 42 PSI helped and the camber minimized the amount of contact patches while going straight. However, NT01's are so loud that it will make you feel like you're driving an ICE car.

Agreed. Not bad but a simple swap to performance tires gets you closer to 1g.
Yeah, I was going to mention that. You can get close to super car cornering with just a different set of tires. Pretty impressive. In my case, I'm way too big of chicken to even push my stock tires to the limit. Too risky when you're not at the track. Also, the M3 is smart enough to try to keep you from killing it even if you're stupid. I will say that I've never come up short on cornering when I actually needed it like something unexpected happened.

Reactions: raptor5244