Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure display in the app (iPhone)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I inflated all four tires on my M3 Long Range this morning. When I look on the app now it shows the current pressure on the front and side tires on the passenger with the time stamp of 6 hours ago (when I filled them all). But for the tires on the driver's side it shows not only incorrect readings but gives date stamps of "3 days ago". What gives? Are we not supposed to take this functionality on the app seriously?

TL ; DR = I only use that reading in combination of the TPMS notification, and my own digital tire gauge.

It doesnt update real time (only updates when the car is driven) so cant be used for any sort of actual live air pressure check because filling tires is supposed to be done with the tires cold, yet the pressure it will give you it only gives you if the car has been driven, and its a history type setting.

When the car tells me my tires are low, before I drive the next time (but after the car has been sitting for a few hours) I take out my digital tire gauge and check them, and then fill them as necessary.

So, if by "take seriously" you mean as some sort of real time or close to real time tire pressure, my answer would be "no".

Reactions: Bijli Ki Rani
I inflated all four tires on my M3 Long Range this morning. When I look on the app now it shows the current pressure on the front and side tires on the passenger with the time stamp of 6 hours ago (when I filled them all). But for the tires on the driver's side it shows not only incorrect readings but gives date stamps of "3 days ago". What gives? Are we not supposed to take this functionality on the app seriously?

What type of phone do you have? (Android or iPhone)

What phone App version do you have?

TL ; DR = I only use that reading in combination of the TPMS notification, and my own digital tire gauge.

It doesnt update real time (only updates when the car is driven) so cant be used for any sort of actual live air pressure check because filling tires is supposed to be done with the tires cold, yet the pressure it will give you it only gives you if the car has been driven, and its a history type setting.

When the car tells me my tires are low, before I drive the next time (but after the car has been sitting for a few hours) I take out my digital tire gauge and check them, and then fill them as necessary.

So, if by "take seriously" you mean as some sort of real time or close to real time tire pressure, my answer would be "no".

Yes, I only filled them after verifying how low they were with a gauge. I was just surprised that after filling it gave me two separate date/time stamps for the fill levels on the different sides of the car. And, weirdly enough, I had not driven the car since filling the tires but it pulled the correct post-fill level and time stamp for the passenger side anyway. I wonder if this is because I'd woken the car up by opening the door while filling on that side.

That is to say, my question is not "why is this not showing me an accurate reading?"; it's "why is this showing me two different readings/time stamps for two different sides of the car?"

And, weirdly enough, I had not driven the car since filling the tires but it pulled the correct post-fill level and time stamp for the passenger side anyway. I wonder if this is because I'd woken the car up by opening the door while filling on that side.
That is weird. I'd guess that opening the door had no effect. My understanding is that Tesla's TPMS sensors turn off when the car is not moving in order to save their batteries (correct?).

"why is this showing me two different readings/time stamps for two different sides of the car?"
Good question and worth asking. I suggest you drive around the block, see what readings you get, and if they're reasonable just chalk it up to typical software weirdness.