Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will lose wear, range, the low tire pressure alert will go off more often, and other factors. Wear will depend on your driving style and road conditions… faster cornering will increase wear. Pressure is a personal preference. For me I study load charts and other factors. I now run with my pressure at max sidewall -2psi as my default. Weather and other factors will have me increase/decrease by 1 or 2 psi. Yes my ride is more harsh but I’m willing to sacrifice a little discomfort for economy and hydroplaning. I also like to feel the road so I know what my car is doing. Again, personal decision and I’m not telling others what to do or looking for people to tell me I’m wrong😁

if you're lowering your tire pressure, you'll see more uneven wear (specifically rapid shoulder wear, if your alignment is correct, you'll see more wear on both inside and outside shoulders vs the center of the tread). Lowering your air pressure affects the foot print that the tire makes with the road which will affect handling and wear mostly negatively and allows the tire sidewall to flex more which may slightly help with ride comfort. In extreme low pressure conditions however, this flex is very bad for the sidewall when rotating and can lead to a tire blowout.

it would be very difficult for anyone to tell you how much less treadlife you'd get from lowering your air pressure. Tread life is based primarily on driving behaviour, so if you're gunning your Y everywhere, you'll get only a fraction of tread life compared to someone who drives normally.

At what level do the sensors go off? If you are 39-40, will you lose range?

My 90% charge is about 6-7 mile’s less lately. A variety of things have changed in the last few weeks though; new Mich AS 21” tires - had the P zeros, dip of 15-20 degrees and a slight decrease in PSI (42 to high 30’s). Would those factors effect the range the car is displaying?

Last edited: