Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold Weather Tire Inflation Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the temperature dropping to 40 F and 30 F recently I notice that my tire pressure dropped quite a bit (from 42 psi to 37 psi at 38 F).

I inflated back to 42 psi at 38F and notice now at 29 F it is 41. I understand the relationship between temperature and pressure but was surprised that it changes so much, but I never bothered much with the tire pressure on my previous cars.

My real question here is that I keep the Model Y LR with 19 inch wheels and Continental standard tires in my garage that is 65 F to 70 F and I am wondering the correct way to deal with this and sort of worry about the tire pressure going up too much in the garage.

I think the correct thing to do is to put the car outside at the typical temperature for the season, let the tires sit there for a couple hours and then inflate to the specified 42 psi. Is that the right?

Is there a minimum and maximum tire pressure for these tires when you are not at the official 42 psi? I remember seeing some posts where people were underinflating for comfort and over inflating for stiffer ride. What would be the danger zones?

Thanks.

dhrivnak: Joe2765 reversed some numbers in his post, making it confusing. 42psi at 38f, 41psi at 29f.

Joe2765: You're overthinking this. Set the tires at 42psi in your 65f garage, check them when they're in 30f, probably around 38 or 39psi, which is still fine. PSI will go up/down 4-6 psi between 30f and 75f

When filled 42 psi at 82 degr F, it drops to 37 psi at 38 degr F. If filled with normal air with maximum humidity.
If you fill at 68 degr F. the needed pressure you can let it flow with temperature change, is my conclusion in time, and will be proven right in about 20 years
Main goal of pressure determination is to not overheat tire-material when driving the speed for wich its determined.

So its possible, but unlikely that your pressure dropped only by temperature dropp.

Then why is your garage heated to 65 or 70 degr F.
You could also only frostprotection or 50 degr F. Saves you heating too.

In next topic I give more explanation about how low you can go, and pressure/axleloadcapacity-lists with build in maximum reserve, at wich comfort, gripp, and energy use is still acceptable. And still no centrewear.

Last edited:
I agree with @Pianewman. I adjust tire pressure seasonally and as needed. I currently set to 42.5 PSI when the tires are cold. This A.M. my garage temperature was 43F, the outdoor temperature was 30F. Tire pressure readings were 41/41 front and 40/40 rear as I drove away from my unheated garage. I will probably add +2 PSI in a month when the A.M. inside garage temperature is closer ~30F. Sometimes the tire pressure on the side of the Model Y that is closer to the house (heat source) reads +1 PSI compared with the opposite side. Sometimes after charging the right rear tire will read +1 PSI compared to the other tires (this wheel/tire is closer to the onboard charging circuitry.)

If the tire pressure is more than 20% lower than the recommended pressure the Tesla Model Y will display a low pressure warning. The maximum tire pressure is stamped on the sidewall of the tire (it is 51 PSI for the OE Tesla tires.) You can set the cold tire pressure to +/- 5 PSI from the recommended 42 PSI with no issue.

Last edited:
This may be a silly question to some, but as you are adjusting tire pressures will the Tesla beep the horn to notify you that you have reached the 42psi?

I know that some manufactures have this feature in their vehicles.
No, the Tesla vehicles don't provide audible feedback when adjusting the tire pressure. (I believe Nissan had feature this first.) The reason is that the Tesla TPMS sensors go to sleep to conserve the battery in the TPMS sensor shortly after you stop driving. The TPMS sensors only wake up from sleep after you drive a short distance.

Reactions: EARL99208
No, the Tesla vehicles don't provide audible feedback when adjusting the tire pressure. (I believe Nissan had feature this first.) The reason is that the Tesla TPMS sensors go to sleep to conserve the battery in the TPMS sensor shortly after you stop driving. The TPMS sensors only wake up from sleep after you drive a short distance.
That's god to know….Thank you!!