Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire/wheel advice for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems to be a bit of a theme lately on the forum so figured I'd take advantage and ask my question as well!

I have the AWD Model 3 with 18" Aeros on order since late May and am not a tire/wheel guy prior to this purchase by any means so wanted to ask the experts if my entirely Internet based research is sound or way off base.

My current plan:

Purchase the TSportline 18" TST wheels and pair them with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/45ZR18
tires for what little of the summer/fall will be left.

Purchase snow tires (probably the Michelin X-Ice XI3 235/45R18 tire) and have them installed on the Aero wheels.

Any flaws in my tire size choices? Should I get 19" summer tires/wheels for performance reasons or are 18s the sweet spot still? Any other tire models I should be considering instead? Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: mikevbf and Pkmmte
bump. I have a similar plan for my future M3 and would enjoy any input or suggestions to the above setup. I have Nokian R3s on my MX and like them so might go that way with the winters, but find them a little loud as is the case with most winter tires. Was thinking of going with the Continental WinterContacts in hopes of a little quieter ride or even the Tesla winter tire of choice the Pirelli Winter Sottozero for better wet/dry barking and performance. One of the big reasons I am considering anything different from R3's is unlike other cars, my MX performs almost as well in all seasons in snow and ice as it does with the R3's unlike past Subarus that performed Way Better with winter tires than all seasons, so thought I could get away with a little more comfort and performance over the best snow and ice tires. What do you think?

I also live in snow country and planning on getting snow tires and rims for my M3 so I dont have the pain of pulling them off the rims every change of seasons. I’m still trying to find a tire shop that “knows” how to remove the wheels properly with the jack “donuts”.

I would still love someone to comment on the ride comfort / road noise of something like the PS4S vs the primacy all season tires.

I don't mind more expensive tires that wear out faster if they are also quieter and/or more comfortable - but based on what I can read online, it seems like the summer performance tires might be noisier/bumpier, and the only advantage being traction (which is not insignificant I realize).

Anyone have any experience?