Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires rubbing only when in reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've had 8 MS's over the years, and one had the worst problem with this was a used 2013 P85 purchased on eBay from the original NM owner.

Diagnosis revealed the entire front of the car had likely been stuffed into a snow bank at some point. Interestingly, the previous owner had really wanted to sell it with his new (and smaller) snow tires rather than the 21" wheels the car originally came with . . . and he claimed to know nothing about this major issue. (Very likely a highly fraudulent seller.)

Fortunately, eBay has a program by which they will pay for repairs on cars not as advertised. It cost ~$5k to replace the front support that holds the side heat exchangers.

Problem solved.

Suggest you take a closer look at the front of the car as even a mild curb or parking block strike can push the entire front assembly back a fraction, and that's all it takes for the tires to rub against the inner fender liners.

As to why it occurs far more often in reverse vs. moving forward, I'm at a loss . . . .

Good luck!

I took possession of a brand-new 2020 Model S LR+ last Friday and I've noticed when I back out of the garage and cut hard right to turn around, I hear a loud groaning/grinding/friction sound coming from front left wheel well.

I mentioned this in another thread, and included photos: The 483 Mile Report: Two Days With My New 2020 Model S LR+

Will be contacting Tesla this morning about this. Never happened in all the years I drove my old S.

I took possession of a brand-new 2020 Model S LR+ last Friday and I've noticed when I back out of the garage and cut hard right to turn around, I hear a loud groaning/grinding/friction sound coming from front left wheel well.

I mentioned this in another thread, and included photos: The 483 Mile Report: Two Days With My New 2020 Model S LR+

Will be contacting Tesla this morning about this. Never happened in all the years I drove my old S.

mine kinda sounded the same way. It turned out for me it was a $140 fix. I’d gotten some snow stuck under the wheel well linings and the linings were literally rubbing on the tire when I’d back up. It sounded awful. And got worse and worse. there are about 35 little clips in there. Crank you wheels and see if they’re all there. Especially if this is a new car.

I have the staggered 21 inch tires. My 2016 p90d started doing this after I replaced the AC compressor and cleaned out the condensers. I put the condensers exactly back into their keepers but something must be misaligned by only a few millimeters. I have been running Toyo proxes since before the problem. It is definitely related to work on the condensers. I have had no luck realigning them.