Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMC Member Reviews Model Y Rear Seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

With the first deliveries of Tesla’s Model Y rumored to take place in a few weeks, the anticipation has everyone looking for an early taste of the all-electric SUV.

TMC member tpoltron says he was treated to a preview of the vehicle when a buddy who is a “mid level Tesla guy” showed up to his place in an early prototype.

Here’s the post:

Clearly Tesla is getting many prototypes out in the real world now. Other than some handcrafted interior trim (I’m guessing it was an earlier prototype) it looked good. The front row seemed like a 3 with a more headroom, and the second row felt roomier than an X (though the Y might be a pinch smaller it has more glass and a lot less falcon wing door hardware overhead). Sadly there was no 3rd row installed to check out but the truck was big. I’m pretty sure I’d happily own and drive one. Given what the Model 3 has done in the shrinking midsize sedan market, I suspect any old car manufacturer not concerned in the hot midsize CUV space will be in trouble.

The Model Y has been spotted on roads with increasing frequency as Tesla finishes testing the vehicles ahead of production. However, there’s some indication that the first batch of Model Ys have already come off the assembly line. The Tesla Model Y has been officially listed on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s VIN decoder website. And a photo posted to Reddit of a VIN attached to a Model Y in the wild suggests that the company may have already produced as many as 600 units.

We’ll certainly learn more about the Model Y delivery timeline during Tesla’s quarterly earnings call scheduled for Jan. 29.