Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To rotate or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tris

Dec 13, 2022
US
My MY (19") has 10k miles, and I haven't rotated the tires.

I checked the tread depth today: the front tires have 6/32" on the outer treads and 8/32" in the inner (middle). The back tires have 6/32" on all treads.

Should I rotate them now, or is there no point? Also, is it normal for the outer treads on the front tires to be more worn out?

according to google it seems like shoulder wear is a result of under-inflation but my tires are never less than 42 psi 🤔 and it's only the front tires...
Here’s the thing, most people report more inside wear, myself included. And that’s with “correct” alignment.

I haven’t seen anyone report more outside wear, until your thread.

And even if your alignment is correct, you’d want to rotate, since the goal is to spread the “effects” of whatever is going on all around. Because if you assume the front inner continues to wear less than everything else, it’ll start becoming a significant difference later when it catches more traction then your rear… might cause you to spin around when you need to brake.

Reactions: Iron
rotating your tires will extend thelife for the tires as a set. the rears will wear faster than the fronts according to the mobile service that did the brake service on MY. At 10k miles, you may not see much difference but another 10k you will definitely see the rears go