Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too many Tesla's/EVs in household - would you get a BMW 530e instead of another Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are tons of things that affect climate change, the sun itself obviously warms and cools, and major volcanic eruptions (also likely meteor strikes) have made huge impacts. Humankind is certainly affecting the environment and climate change as well. Truth in the matter is we don't have data over a long enough period of time to draw any real conclusions and we won't in our lifetime. 100k years is a drop in the bucket as far as climate change on earth and we have only recently really started looking into climate change, less than 200 years of monitoring and making hypothesis about many past events and modeling things using simulations.

NASA GISS: Science Briefs: Super-Eruptions, Climate and Human Survival

The issue is always determining what is the cause and what is the effect, and depending on which side of the fence the article your reading is biased, it can skew things one way or another. One thing I'm always skeptical of right away is article only listing the past few thousand years, even worse if it's only considering the past 100's of years and worst of all if it draws conclusions only from the last 10's of years.

Even this is only a few million years worth of data.

Five_Myr_Climate_Change.png

Another thing that allot of people don't think about is the effect of manufacturing a new vehicle on the environment (junking an older one) vs just driving an older one.
When Used Cars Are More Ecofriendly Than New Cars
Probably, the most eco friendly thing to do is to buy a used 3 banger geo metro :)

Last edited:
Have somewhat of a rare dilemma right now. Have had EVs at home for a while since 2011 but numbers have been growing and currently have 4 EVs at home (Model X, Model 3, 2 BMW i3). Have 5 drivers, 4 EVs and 1 ICE BMW 435i. The Teslas are bought, while the i3s are leases with one of the i3s getting near the return period. Have 3 40A charging stations at home and it gets annoying making sure each of them has enough charge and there has been instances the i3s didnt get enough charge. Was planning on getting another Model 3 to replace the i3 and make use of the full tax incentive, however I have had some interest looking at the BMW 530e. Its a plug in hybrid and gets the HOV sticker which is main reason for all our EVs. The BMW has a similar MSRP to the Model 3, however there are much better incentives and dealer discounts being offered. I can lease a BMW 530e for $460 a month, or purchase for about $40-45k+taxes. The Tesla is over $60k w/ EAP but gets federal credit back. Getting the BMW would mean if we forget to charge it will still run in hybrid mode and financially it will be cheaper then the Model 3. Only issue I have is whether BMW driver assistance can compare to EAP. Have started to feel having too many EVs in a home also has its challenges. Am I crazy for thinking about a 530e? BTW I do love the Model 3 and X but I love my BMW 4 series too.
Don’t. Aa friend just got one, only to discover EV range is 15 miles in reality. You won’t even make it to the HOV lane!