Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too many Tesla's/EVs in household - would you get a BMW 530e instead of another Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh yee of little imagination. The Model 3 does tow well and I even installed a brake controller. I tow a 2000 lb A-Liner with the Model 3.
View attachment 324183
Interesting, still I wouldn't do it. I have seen too many small F150 size trucks and largish trailers flipped on their sides when catching a gust of heavy wind. While electric cars are heavy, they are not as heavy as full sized trucks, nor do they have the suspension or straight axle capability of a large truck.

Charging seems like it would also be a huge problem, unless you can get to your campsite off a single charge and the camp site has power.

gvwr on a new 3500 is about 14,000 lb with 30,000lb 5th-wheel towing capability.
what is the gvwr on a model 3? Do you just estimate?

Trailer has a gvwr of around 10k lbs. While I can tow it so long as it's not maxed out with my titan, it's just not nearly as safe with the Sx@ in it as pulling it with a diesel truck. Even with the 3500, I have been blown out of my lane.

.../ There is no way you will ever catch me hauling 800lbs of bricks with a car; /.../ on a trailer.
.../ All these things can safely be hauled by a Model X with a trailer hitch (or a Model S or 3 with a trailer hitch if only Tesla would allow it…). And if it can’t, then there are other ways to transport something from A to B... [My edit.]
--> As in: If you're not comfortable driving the trailer yourself -- then you pay someone else to transport it (!)...
.../ having to rent one every time you need to haul something is also not cost effective. /...
A: And how many times a year would that be?

B: So... I guess it comes down to a choice between your own personal economy and "sea-level rise that ultimately is going to put large parts of Florida under water — as well as every other coastal neighborhood/city at similar altitude"...

Yeah... That seems like something that would be really difficult to decide between...

You know... Just plain disregarding the realities of Man-Made Climate Change is probably going to work out really well...

...As in: If you're not comfortable driving the trailer yourself -- then you pay someone else to transport it (!)...A: And how many times a year would that be?

B: So... I guess it comes down to a choice between your own personal economy and "sea-level rise that ultimately is going to put large parts of Florida under water — as well as every other coastal neighborhood/city at similar altitude"...

Yeah... That seems like a something that would be really difficult to decide between...

You know... Just plain disregarding the realities of Man-Made Climate Change is probably going to work out really well...
I use my truck usually a few times a month, sometimes more, sometimes less.
Are you suggesting I buy a tesla Semi?

• Funny
Reactions: dhrivnak
Interesting, still I wouldn't do it. I have seen too many small F150 size trucks and largish trailers flipped on their sides when catching a gust of heavy wind. While electric cars are heavy, they are not as heavy as full sized trucks, nor do they have the suspension or straight axle capability of a large truck.

Charging seems like it would also be a huge problem, unless you can get to your campsite off a single charge and the camp site has power.

gvwr on a new 3500 is about 14,000 lb with 30,000lb 5th-wheel towing capability.
what is the gvwr on a model 3? Do you just estimate?

Trailer has a gvwr of around 10k lbs. While I can tow it so long as it's not maxed out with my titan, it's just not nearly as safe with the Sx@ in it as pulling it with a diesel truck. Even with the 3500, I have been blown out of my lane.
I just think burning gas, is wrong now that we know what it is doing to the climate. So I picked the trailer accordingly. It meets our needs and at 1,600 lbs or about 2000 loaded I have pulled it over 13,000 miles, most of that with my Chevy Volt. Fortunately it and the car behaved well.

You don't seem to be reading my replies, so what's the point?...
Right, so we should stop Space-X, Ban Flying Planes or transporting goods with boats. Gotcha.

Electric cars are great, thats why we are all on this forum. But they are not practical for everything at this time. So if op is going to get an ICE, it might as well be something with a purpose outside of his other 4 EVs :)

Right, so we should stop Space-X, Ban Flying Planes or transporting goods with boats. Gotcha.

Electric cars are great, thats why we are all on this forum. But they are not practical for everything at this time. So if op is going to get an ICE, it might as well be something with a purpose outside of his other 4 EVs :)
You seem to have missed the part about the OP wanting a vehicle that has HOV access...

Right, so we should stop Space-X, Ban Flying Planes or transporting goods with boats. Gotcha. /...
I want a world where the global sea-level as soon as possible starts to decline back to roughly the pre-industrial level. And yes... That is going to come with a price... For me that isn't that difficult... Basically my conscience just regulates my own moral compass accordingly...

Most homeowners should own a truck. They may not drive it daily but having to rent one every time you need to haul something is also not cost effective. Makes more sense than having 4 or 5 cars at least.

I'm a homeowner, never once felt a need for a truck. Or a side by side, or a toy hauler. These are fine, but they're for an extremely niche set of hobbies. I have plenty of friends that have 'em, but it's a miniscule fraction of the American public, forget worldwide.

Just sold a couple vehicles, now our 2-person household that carpools to work is down to 3 cars :D

Still got way more than we need, though arguably they're not wasting resources when they're not being driven. OTOH, it would cost me far more in purchase/maintenance/insurance/registration than it would cost me to rent if I ever find myself needing a truck. Hell, I'm already in that situation with the excess vehicles we have, but at least one of the cars is going up in value!

I'd never say you shouldn't have a truck, but I sure don't think it makes any more sense to say most homeowners should.

I'm a homeowner, never once felt a need for a truck. Or a side by side, or a toy hauler. These are fine, but they're for an extremely niche set of hobbies. I have plenty of friends that have 'em, but it's a miniscule fraction of the American public, forget worldwide.

Just sold a couple vehicles, now our 2-person household that carpools to work is down to 3 cars :D

Still got way more than we need, though arguably they're not wasting resources when they're not being driven. OTOH, it would cost me far more in purchase/maintenance/insurance/registration than it would cost me to rent if I ever find myself needing a truck. Hell, I'm already in that situation with the excess vehicles we have, but at least one of the cars is going up in value!

I'd never say you shouldn't have a truck, but I sure don't think it makes any more sense to say most homeowners should.
if you already have 4 cars your 5th should be a truck :)
I want a world where the global sea-level as soon as possible starts to decline back to roughly the pre-industrial level. And yes... That is going to come with a price... For me that isn't that difficult... Basically my conscience just regulates my own moral compass accordingly...
FWIW, your going to be waiting a long long time since the earth is going through a warming period with or without the help of mankind.

I don't need a truck, have never owned a truck, have never rented a truck. Borrowed a pick-up once to move my Mom, but it was her truck, and she didn't like to drive it....

A truck is made to haul things. It does not drive like a car. A car can tow things, but it's not generally made to do that. I own a small trailer that I use maybe twice a year to haul things that I don't want to put in my S, but owning a truck, you end up driving a less-agile vehicle all the time. Most pickups are horribly unbalanced, with large weight in front over un-driven wheels and little weight in back where it can easily be put into a spin on a gravel road.

Owning a car and using a trailer twice a year makes more sense than owning a truck.

upload_2018-8-8_16-12-44.png

Reactions: ohmman
I don't need a truck, have never owned a truck, have never rented a truck. Borrowed a pick-up once to move my Mom, but it was her truck, and she didn't like to drive it....

A truck is made to haul things. It does not drive like a car. A car can tow things, but it's not generally made to do that. I own a small trailer that I use maybe twice a year to haul things that I don't want to put in my S, but owning a truck, you end up driving a less-agile vehicle all the time. Most pickups are horribly unbalanced, with large weight in front over un-driven wheels and little weight in back where it can easily be put into a spin on a gravel road.

Owning a car and using a trailer twice a year makes more sense than owning a truck.
Yep trucks are made for hauling, moving things in the bed etc. It's still just not the same. You can't simply go to costco and decide to pickup a bedroom set and strap it to the roof of your tesla, you can very easily have it loaded into your truck and easily secure it and haul it home. But hey I'm a DIY type of guy (when possible) so I use my truck allot. If I'm buying a new mattress I won't be strapping it to the roof on my tesla either.

Trucks drive exceptionally well off-road where you need ground clearance or extra rubber, which I also do very often. Unbalanced or not, my truck has gone many places my model 3 will be unable to go. They actually drive just fine on the road too despite them not being as fast or agile as a car.

Yea extra registration and insurance is expensive, but hey, if your out of warranty on your car, it's a very decent backup vehicle as well.

If you had a truck, you certainly wouldn't bother rigging a trailer to your very nice car ;)

Well.... We had one Tesla S for 3 years as our only car, after selling the gas-hog Prius. Finally added another S and the 3 for convenience.

Have never even considered owning any kind of BMW. They are over rated, IMO. They sell because they are advertised. They are barely different from any other gasser or hybrid. Why not buy a KIA?

No one has any idea how long an average Tesla will last. A gas car starts downhill from the day you take it off the lot, grinding and abrading and leaking, spewing poisonous gasses, maybe rusting parts away. Maintenance is required, often. The life time of the car is based on how long the gas engine lasts. Hybrids have gas engines.

There is no gas engine in a Tesla. The 300 mile battery (new S is 335) is made to replace, but estimates are 10-15 years. No pollution, noise, vibration, and no routine maintenance required, as in no oil changes, TX fluid, air filters, oil filters, plugs, mufflers, etc., etc. There is no comparison. And I put 150,000 miles on my Ses in 5.5 years. They drive like new.

My wife thinks that I'm the only one who needs a muffler, so there is that. I could turn up the radio....

Reactions: Glamisduner
Well.... We had one Tesla S for 3 years as our only car, after selling the gas-hog Prius. Finally added another S and the 3 for convenience.

Have never even considered owning any kind of BMW. They are over rated, IMO. They sell because they are advertised. They are barely different from any other gasser or hybrid. Why not buy a KIA?

No one has any idea how long an average Tesla will last. A gas car starts downhill from the day you take it off the lot, grinding and abrading and leaking, spewing poisonous gasses, maybe rusting parts away. Maintenance is required, often. The life time of the car is based on how long the gas engine lasts. Hybrids have gas engines.

There is no gas engine in a Tesla. The 300 mile battery (new S is 335) is made to replace, but estimates are 10-15 years. No pollution, noise, vibration, and no routine maintenance required, as in no oil changes, TX fluid, air filters, oil filters, plugs, mufflers, etc., etc. There is no comparison. And I put 150,000 miles on my Ses in 5.5 years. They drive like new.

My wife thinks that I'm the only one who needs a muffler, so there is that. I could turn up the radio....
Well any car starts to degrade as soon as you drive it. Electric cars still have motors too. Most of those reasons above though is why I'm getting a model 3. For Car duties if you can afford and EV and charge at home, I don't see the point of getting an ICE unless it's some crazy sports car I have no need for.

Wife wants an SUV and does not want to fork out for an X, so options are more limited. (She thinks the bolt is too small).

.../ since the earth is going through a warming period with [something Glamisduner wrote that was completely incorrect (My edit.)] the help of mankind. [My underline.]
There.

Corrected and fact checked that for you.

Really surreal that you have to do stuff like that in August of 2018!...

Reactions: narayan
My bad actually...

The earth would be going trough a cooling period if it wasn't for man made green house gas emissions.
Not sure how your predicting that. Earth has been through many many cycles over it's lifetime and they are not exactly predictable, cycles have existed before the first human was born. That's not to say I don't think humans are not escalating global warming, but even if we stopped 100% pollution right now it's not like the earth is just going to start cooling down because of that, it will just stop escalating the problem.

I'm no expert, but as I understand it, prior to humanity emitting massive amounts of greenhouse gases, the Sun was the No. 1 factor that controlled the Earths climate. That, and fluctuations in CO2 levels and other green house gas levels in the atmosphere.

Here's my source for the Sun's current cooling trend:

Sun & climate: moving in opposite directions | skepticalscience.com

All info on that site (skepticalscience.com) is written by climate scientists, and based on climate science.