Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto ->Old Montreal -> Ottawa ->Toronto roadtrip charging tips for SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello all,

Will be driving my SR+ model 3 to Old Montreal from Toronto (Aurora) for the first time. Plan to drive straight to Old montreal area on first day.

Plan to stay in old montreal for couple nights.

Then, drive to Ottawa to stay one night there and then back to Toronto.

Which supercharging stations would you guys recommend to stay?

Also, any good destination charging station would you guys recommend around Old Montreal area?

would love to hear some tips. Thank you!

hello all,

Will be driving my SR+ model 3 to Old Montreal from Toronto (Aurora) for the first time. Plan to drive straight to Old montreal area on first day.

Also, any good destination charging station would you guys recommend around Old Montreal area?

Don’t know what your range is, but on our Model S (370km fully charged), we usually did Belleville for a big charge, then Kingston for a small top up to get to Montreal. Usually, we’d make it home fine, but you may need just a bit more range since you’re headed to Old Montreal so I say refill in Pointe-Claire.

in terms of Destination Charging in Old Montreal, there aren’t many hotels which offer charging, and the Old Port parking (with 4 charging stations) is a waste of money. Meanwhile, there are street chargers on St-Antoine which you can use for $1/hour + parking fees. There’s a lot of chargers available on the full 2 blocks (16 total) so finding an available plug shouldn’t be a problem (Don’t forget your JDapter!)

En route to Ottawa, do use the Casselman Supercharger to fill up. Back to Toronto, you can use the now-open Perth V3 Supercharger and the Peterborough Supercharger which is said to open this weekend...

Tell me if you need to know anything else, and have a nice trip!!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Panda1
Thanks for the detail instruction. I will definitely use your route and charging suggestions.

I wanna check out the Peterborough supercharger but I notice it is not activated yet.

I see you are local montreal resident.
Which 4 stars hotel do you recommend to stay in old city Montreal With a nice water view?

I am going to dine at the famous Joe's beef. I am.wonder if you can recommend so local fav for fine dining?

Merci very much

Last edited:
These two are right in Old Montreal and have Tesla destination charging:

Luxury Hotel in Montreal | Le Saint-Sulpice
SpringHill Suites Old Montreal

As close as you can get to a water view would be the smaller hotels along Rue de la Commune E, but limited parking and no charging.

Le Saint-Sulpice is a little quieter/refined while the Springhill suites are co-joined with a great EDM club called Velvet. Club is in a solid brick cellar of the oldest hotel in North America. Also worth a visit for the restaurant or just to look around.
Auberge Saint-Gabriel & Velvet - Montreall.com

Circuit Electrique have stations all over the area - $1.00/Hour for 30A/240V
The Electric Circuit

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 12.50.50 AM.png

Last edited:
I do the Ottawa -> Toronto (and back) from time to time in my SR+ on the 416->417 route. For Ottawa->Toronto if the weather is good and I drive conservatively I can start with 100% charge and get to Port Hope and charge there. However if you're not starting with 100% (or you don't like the idea of showing up at a SC with 5% charge) I'd stop in Belleville and then again in Pickering.

hello all,

Plug your trip into A Better Routeplanner and configure your car, speed, etc. and it will tell you nearly everything you need to know. It does help having locals give tips for overnight charging. You can also look at PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You.

BTW, I recommend https://pacmusee.qc.ca/ which is nearby.

i called sulpice hotel to inquire about their onsite EV charging. Because covid they do not have valet service. Guest can park by himself and use EV charging for free :) FYI in case someone wants to stay in hotel in the area.

I also notice lots of hotel discount for local Quebec ppl :)
You may not be able to get hotels with a river view in Old Montreal, however you may be able to get a canal view room at the Alt Hotel in Griffintown. It’s quite close to the old port and downtown, there is Tesla charging in their garage, and the area is very nice and modern if you want that...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up scoring a pretty good deal at a 5 stars hotel located in heart of downtown Montreal for about $200 per night :)
https://hotelbirksmontreal.com/

On Tesla map, it shows there are Tesla destination chargers just less than one block away from Hotel Birk. The parking name is "Stationnement Publique - Renaissance Marriot"

Stationnement Publique - Renaissance Marriott | Montreal, QC | EV Station
Stationnement Publique - Renaissance Marriott | Tesla Canada

Chargehub seems to show charging is free? Is it too good to be true?

These two are right in Old Montreal and have Tesla destination charging:

SpringHill Suites Old Montreal

As close as you can get to a water view would be the smaller hotels along Rue de la Commune E, but limited parking and no charging.

Le Saint-Sulpice is a little quieter/refined while the Springhill suites are co-joined with a great EDM club called Velvet. Club is in a solid brick cellar of the oldest hotel in North America. Also worth a visit for the restaurant or just to look around.
Auberge Saint-Gabriel & Velvet - Montreall.com

Circuit Electrique have stations all over the area - $1.00/Hour for 30A/240V
The Electric Circuit

View attachment 570151

I see there are some Electric circuit charging station inside Eaton Center. Is parking inside Eaton Center free? Can I park overnight?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up scoring a pretty good deal at a 5 stars hotel located in heart of downtown Montreal for about $200 per night :)
https://hotelbirksmontreal.com/

On Tesla map, it shows there are Tesla destination chargers just less than one block away from Hotel Birk. The parking name is "Stationnement Publique - Renaissance Marriot"

Stationnement Publique - Renaissance Marriott | Montreal, QC | EV Station
Stationnement Publique - Renaissance Marriott | Tesla Canada

Chargehub seems to show charging is free? Is it too good to be true?

It’s definitely not free. Parking is $18 + a $3 charging fee. It’s expensive, they valet your car (maybe not during Covid), but there are about 28 charging stations, so that’s a step in the right direction

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I see there are some Electric circuit charging station inside Eaton Center. Is parking inside Eaton Center free? Can I park overnight?
If your hotel has complimentary parking, I would try and see 1) if they have charging but no one noticed yet and if not 2) plug in into a wall outlet and save some money.

I would avoid the Eaton Centre if I were you. Chargers are always dirty, some are non-op, and parking is expensive and charging is billed by the hour

If you’ll do an overnighter the KPMG Tower has 2 charging stations billed at $2,5 per session and $7 for overnight parking and weekends.

Might have been said before, but why bother with destination charging? Top it off at Point-Claire SC when arriving (or leaving) in MTL, and you'll be fine for the week. I charge my SR+ once a week theses days (WFH 3 days a week helps).

Run in it a A Better Routeplanner

I have done it many times with a Long Range in winter which is similar to your summer situation.

I think likely Belleville, Cornwall, Pointe-Claire, you may be able to do Kingston, Pointe-Claire but you are pushing it a bit.
If you are short on charge drive the speed limit 100 on cruise control and look at your consumption state graph under the energy tools.

Then when going to Ottawa stop at Point Claire to top up leaving Montreal if needed and, a longer stop at Casselman, unless you are charging overnight in Ottawa.

From Ottawa you can try Kingston if you are all charged up, or Perth if not as charged, then Port Hope and home.

thanks for all the tips guys.

From Toronto to Belleville SC, I had 20% left and charge to 94%

From Belleville SC to Casselman SC, I had 9% left and charge to 75%

From Casselman SC to downtown hotel, I had 35% left.

I parked on street parking because this garage door is closed
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

I drove pass by Kingston SC but there was a long line of waiting so just skip this stop.

Just came back from my trip with SR+. Here is my summary and thought.

Toronto ---> Bellevile SC --> Kingston SC (pass by but did not use due to long wait) --> Cornwell SC --> Montreal

Really enjoy the Bellevile location since is next to a mall. Easy to find washroom and kill time window shopping for wife. Kingston could be a good location with supermarket nearby but not enough SC available. Why is Kingston so busy? Cornwell SC is hidden inside hotel parking and abit out of away from HWY 401.

Montreal --> Laval SC --> Ottawa SC --> Perth SC --> Port Perry SC --> Toronto

First time supercharging in French mall at Laval SC :) Was really empty. One audi Q3 french driver drove by and asked me about my tesla experience. He was considering buying Tesla. Too bad I forgot to give him my referral code :( Ottawa SC is hidden under Rideau Mall P3 parking. Paid 6 dollar for parking fee. Grab some lunch at Bayward market while waiting for full charge. Peth SC has supermarket next to it. Good location. I took ottawa -> perth -> 401 route based on recommendation here but I will not do this route again because most of drive is one lane and most cars drive around 90KM. Scenery is nice but not spectacular. Port Perry SC was busy too.

Overall. Driving experience was nice. Montreal is a awsome city to have EV car because of The Electric Circuit Some street parkings are free because you have a EV car. I think people in Montreal are interested to buy EV. I got two Frenchies asking me about Tesla when I was parking on the street.

I did experience phantom braking 4 times during the trip which is a concern. I cannot wait for the day to get my trimotor cybertruck to drive to Montreal from Toronto in one single charge :)