Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto to Blue Mountain and Back on Sunday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Orangeville! Orangeville! Oops doesn’t exist yet.
Aaaaaargh.

@Mr. PlugShare, I promise to let you know, the moment I see any action.....
In the mean time OP, IF you use Airport Road or #10 to go up, and are stuck, please feel free to drop in at my Plugshare (#9 between Airport and #10) PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
40 amp at 245 volt = 50 km/hr.
Free coffee in arena kitchen
Wifi
Free "entertainment" most days (watching the riding lessons)

Aaaaaargh.

@Mr. PlugShare, I promise to let you know, the moment I see any action.....
In the mean time OP, IF you use Airport Road or #10 to go up, and are stuck, please feel free to drop in at my Plugshare (#9 between Airport and #10) PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
40 amp at 245 volt = 50 km/hr.
Free coffee in arena kitchen
Wifi
Free "entertainment" most days (watching the riding lessons)
That is super generous! Thx very much. I am hopeful I won’t need it but always good to be prepared.

I've driven up to Blue Mountain a number of times and have stayed at the Westin Trillium where they've got destination chargers. The destination chargers are in the underground parking and you would need a pass keycard to get in to them unfortunately. Nice place to stay, especially with kids. Given you're looking at doing a round daytrip, you might be best to bypass the charging enroute up, but do a quick charge on the way back as that's when you'll need to warm up the pack. If you want to "risk" it, then there's still superchargers at Vaughan Mills if you need to top up. You might even consider doing a 100% charge overnight before heading out and see how it goes (or you can do a bit of charging in the morning while you're getting ready to go). Enjoy the skiing!

Did you make it?

I did this trip again on Saturday. Here are my trip readings. On the way there i left with a 'full tank' - got to the hill with 49% (58 predicted). and on the way home i ended up with 5% remaining (12% predicted). Temp was between -6 and -10 the entire way.

1There.jpg
2Back.jpg
92sMw9z

iSKvI9A

Here is a brief summary. Overall the trip was great. AP worked great and drove for a large portion of the trip. I also used Navigate on Autopilot but there were not that many "on / off" ramps etc so it was largely AP.

I was only able to charge up to 97% from home. I started my charge around 2 am on Saturday night which should have left lots of time to reach 100% but at about 96 - 97% I kept getting messages that it would be in excess of 1 hour to complete the charge and then it just said "charging complete" at 97% and stopped charging. May be a calibration issue?

Left the house with a full load. 4 people, ski equipment, 97% charge and outside temp of -14 to about -16. The in car trip planner said we would arrive with 61% but that quickly dropped off. (Abetterrouteplanner was a little more accurate but not much for some reason - I may not have fully added the weight and cold weather.) I also put on the aero covers on my 18" winters.

I had the interior temp set to about 19.5 C (I kept turning it down, my wife kept inching it up) and we drove the highway sections about 122 km/h. We drove 153.3 km, used 36 kWh and averaged 236 wh/km. We pulled into the Grand Georgian parking lot with 47%. I was a little concerned with how much I might lose with the car sitting outside in the serious cold all day so after I dropped everyone off with the skis, I drove over to check out the Chargepoint chargers in the other parking lot. While this second parking lot was about half full, the back area with the chargers was largely empty. The first charger did not deliver any power, so I unplugged and tried the next one. I charged from 10:36 am to 1:07 pm (2 hours and 20 minutes). I added 16.2 kWh - apx 109 km of range (according to the Chargepoint app).

I checked the app periodically and at times it looked like only 1 other person was charging - when i went back to the car, my car was the only one - the other 3 spots were empty.

With this extra charge, I could have made it home with power to spare, but I wanted to check out the SC in Barrie so we stopped on our way home for a quick bite and about 10 minutes of supercharging.

Drove home in the "very fast lane" and arrived home with about 25% SOC.

One observation of driving on AP, is that for parts of Hwy 26, the speed limit is 80 km/h and AP (for some sections) will only allow for a setting of max 10 km/h above the posted speed limit which was problematic (too slow).

Passing slower moving traffic on a 2 lane road is an absolute dream in this car. No muss and no fuss - pull out, accelerate, rocket past the slower cars and move back into the lane.

I still find the interior wind noise to be a little too high when driving over 110 km/h. Maybe it is road noise, maybe just surface glass wind noise - but it is overall, a bit noisier than I would like.

All in all, it was a great trip. Would like to try it out again when the temp is warmer - I think the very cold weather significantly impacts the range and I was moving pretty quickly. Would be great if the car had a trunk / ski pass through instead of having to drop an entire seat. My 2 boys had to "get close" between the middle seat and behind the driver but they were willing to do so in order to take the Tesla.

(I have gone back and forth to Western a couple of times (apx 202 KM each way compared to this 153) with a light car and warmer weather and done better range wise.)

One observation of driving on AP, is that for parts of Hwy 26, the speed limit is 80 km/h and AP (for some sections) will only allow for a setting of max 10 km/h above the posted speed limit which was problematic (too slow).

AP isn't recommended on streets with lights and stops signs, only on highways, so Tesla reduces the speed in which it'll work in. The car won't change lanes in none-highway routes. You can, though, use the accelerator to drive faster and the car will still steer with just a warning message.​

Here is a brief summary. Overall the trip was great. AP worked great and drove for a large portion of the trip. I also used Navigate on Autopilot but there were not that many "on / off" ramps etc so it was largely AP.

I was only able to charge up to 97% from home. I started my charge around 2 am on Saturday night which should have left lots of time to reach 100% but at about 96 - 97% I kept getting messages that it would be in excess of 1 hour to complete the charge and then it just said "charging complete" at 97% and stopped charging. May be a calibration issue?

Left the house with a full load. 4 people, ski equipment, 97% charge and outside temp of -14 to about -16. The in car trip planner said we would arrive with 61% but that quickly dropped off. (Abetterrouteplanner was a little more accurate but not much for some reason - I may not have fully added the weight and cold weather.) I also put on the aero covers on my 18" winters.

I had the interior temp set to about 19.5 C (I kept turning it down, my wife kept inching it up) and we drove the highway sections about 122 km/h. We drove 153.3 km, used 36 kWh and averaged 236 wh/km. We pulled into the Grand Georgian parking lot with 47%. I was a little concerned with how much I might lose with the car sitting outside in the serious cold all day so after I dropped everyone off with the skis, I drove over to check out the Chargepoint chargers in the other parking lot. While this second parking lot was about half full, the back area with the chargers was largely empty. The first charger did not deliver any power, so I unplugged and tried the next one. I charged from 10:36 am to 1:07 pm (2 hours and 20 minutes). I added 16.2 kWh - apx 109 km of range (according to the Chargepoint app).

I checked the app periodically and at times it looked like only 1 other person was charging - when i went back to the car, my car was the only one - the other 3 spots were empty.

With this extra charge, I could have made it home with power to spare, but I wanted to check out the SC in Barrie so we stopped on our way home for a quick bite and about 10 minutes of supercharging.

Drove home in the "very fast lane" and arrived home with about 25% SOC.

Passing slower moving traffic on a 2 lane road is an absolute dream in this car. No muss and no fuss - pull out, accelerate, rocket past the slower cars and move back into the lane.

I still find the interior wind noise to be a little too high when driving over 110 km/h. Maybe it is road noise, maybe just surface glass wind noise - but it is overall, a bit noisier than I would like.

All in all, it was a great trip. Would like to try it out again when the temp is warmer - I think the very cold weather significantly impacts the range and I was moving pretty quickly. Would be great if the car had a trunk / ski pass through instead of having to drop an entire seat. My 2 boys had to "get close" between the middle seat and behind the driver but they were willing to do so in order to take the Tesla.

(I have gone back and forth to Western a couple of times (apx 202 KM each way compared to this 153) with a light car and warmer weather and done better range wise.)

I would say given that you elected to charge a couple of times, perhaps next time bite the bullet and use what energy you need to keep your family comfortable on a now familiar route and be prepared to simply add some time to charge the car either at the destination or at the supercharger on the way back. It's not a bad thing to trial out ways to maximize range - you should look up the trip made by "Tesla Model 3 Road Trip" on Facebook Tesla Model 3 Road Trip. He experienced harsher conditions and gave some insight as to how the Model 3 handles more extreme cold weather (although to be fair some of it is over the top).

Thank you for providing this insight to your experience.