Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total loss of battery pack on new 2022 MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was on a road trip in my 2-month old Model Y Performance, driving from SF-LA-LV. Everything was going well, and I was at my first stopping point in LA. I had supercharged a couple of times on the way down, and was stopping for my 3rd supercharge, after an hour of stop and go LA traffic.

20 minutes into my charging session, a car pulled up next to me and plugged in. Then I heard the horrible POP of the pyro fuse, followed by the dreaded errors. First, "Unable to charge - Supercharger reports an error", then "Vehicle may not restart; Service is required," "Electrial system is unable to support all features; Shutting down features to conserve energy" etc.

The vehicle was towed into the service center with less than 2k miles on it, and it's going to need a pack replacement which is inbound from Fremont / Reno.

Based on the car next to me plugging in around the time this happened, and the first error being a supercharger one, I have a theory that maybe the supercharger itself had an HV electrical component failure that surged energy into my car. Just a guess.

Anyway, somewhat disappointing, but otherwise the MYP has been fantastic. Hopefully it will be back on the road soon. Just wanted to share this story for informational value :)
Take pictures all around the car before leaving it at the service center, my car was scratched while at service, cars are parked outside, I guess anyone could vandalize them. But it is still a bummer.

So I followed up with Tesla again. They are claiming that the original battery pack the car was manufactured with was a 75 kWh pack. And they replaced it with a 75 kWh pack.

This is for a model year 2022 Model Y Performance, which was delivered in December 2021. Something is very strange here.

Yes, this is absolutely wrong. My June '20 build is 75kWh for sure, but the 82kWh pack has been used since the '21 model year. so your '22 definitely had the 82kWh pack. I believe you can check under the cowling in front of the windshield inside the frunk where it states the battery size.

Hi - did you ever find out what happened with this? I am going through the same exact scenario right now with my 2022 Model 3 LR - Tesla is replacing the battery pack and saying they are putting a 75kwh remanufactured pack in and that it's an exact match to what's in there. I was under the impression my car had the 82kwh pack but they keep saying they are replacing it with an exact match and that it's a 75kwh pack.