TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Totaled our Volt

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by MikeInFL, May 18, 2018.

1. MikeInFL

MikeInFL Member

Hi everyone!

My pregnant wife unfortunately totaled our Volt earlier this week and we are in need of a replacement vehicle. We ideally don’t want to purchase another Volt. Currently doing a 48 hour test drive of a Bolt and while it’s a great commuter car it simply too expensive for what it is.

Now that everyone is up to speed we’re hoping to find someone with a ready to configure reservation. We understand that these are on eBay/craigslist but we prefer to work with a trustworthy TMC member if possible. We’re willing to donate $250 only because we have 30 days of rental coverage otherwise we would wait like everyone else. We would Ideally like to find someone charging no fee as we do not want to upset anyone for jumping the line.

I can also provide the police report if needed.

Also, if you have a recent delivery we may be able to work something out. (split the tax credit?)

Attached Files:

2. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

That was considered totaled? Doesn't really look that bad.

• Like x 1
  3. MikeInFL

MikeInFL Member

Yeah, it’s crazy how well the crumple zones work. She and the baby are thankfully safe.

• Like x 3
  4. mhan00

mhan00 Member

Damn, that’s heartbreaking. I have the exact same Gen 2 Blue Volt and it hurt seeing a similar car destroyed like that. Glad to hear your wife and baby are okay.

5. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

Glad to hear everyone is safe. I wish you luck with your quest. You can always see if you can find a CPO Model S if the 3 doesn't pan out in time.

• Like x 1
  6. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

Back in late March, early April, Bolt Premiers were going for about $30K and LT's several $K under $30K after fed rebate. Current deals don't seem that good... maybe cuz of low supply.

7. MikeInFL

MikeInFL Member

I should have clarified, that we would pay back your initial reservation payment and $250 on top of that.

8. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

Your title of thread brought less ppl in.

9. MikeInFL

MikeInFL Member

Agreed.

10. drawfour

drawfour Member

To be honest, offering $250 for someone to lose their spot in line when they've likely had a reservation for over 2 years... That's not gonna make people jump up and say "Sure!".

• Like x 1
  11. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

Unwanted advice follows. Please put your trays and seatbacks in an upright position and use your air-sick bag:

You really need a mini-van. Not today. In the years to come. It will make life so much more pleasant with kids.

Go test the Chrysler PHEV Pacifica.

12. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

IIHS Top Safety Pick +

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  13. rocketshipp85

rocketshipp85 Member

I’d let one of mine go for $700 if your interested. Pm me and we can talk more.

14. EVSteve

EVSteve 110% Solar Powered

Yup same thing with my 2013 Volt that took a deer to the face at 55mph. The salvage value of the Volt when taken into account results in a total vs a regular car with similar damage. In my case I didn't even have full airbag deployment. Only the seat belt pretensioners fired. Radiator, hood bumper, some sensors and a few headlights but declared total loss. IMG_6873.JPG IMG_6876.JPG

• Informative x 4
  15. sundaymorning

sundaymorning Active Member

It doesn’t really look that bad, I wonder if there’s a design flaw where the Volt can’t worhstand even minor accidents.

16. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

#16 McRat, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
    The bizarre part is why does the Model S's rear axle assy come forward 4" on a frontal collision. And take a look at how strong the front wheels are. One is cast, one is forged. Guess which one.

G1 Volt

Model S

17. MikeInFL

MikeInFL Member

I’m trying to get a replacement vehicle in good faith. I feel $250 is a fair offer for their spot, especially if they are no longer interested or solely did it to turn a profit. Either way they get 25% ROI.

Also, not trying to upset all the other great people in line. I’d like to think most would understand.

We had no issue waiting for our spot but now we have to try and find a replacement since our Volt is gone.

18. MikeInFL

MikeInFL Member

19. MikeInFL

MikeInFL Member

Gen 1 Volts were built VERY well. We put over 100k on ours and it still felt new when we finally sold it. Also the forged wheels were extremely light weight. It's crazy to see how the cast Tesla wheels come apart in this video...

20. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

I have a feeling a Model 3 would have also been totaled if involved in a similar accident, if THIS is $7k worth of damage for basically a fender dent.
    [​IMG]
    Here's What $7,000 Of Damage Looks Like On A Tesla Model 3 | CleanTechnica

• Disagree x 1