Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traction Control Sounds Like Car is Bottoming Out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else have experience with the traction control sounding like a grinding noise similar to what scraping the undercarriage would sound like?

I have an uneven entrance into my garage and at first I thought my car was scraping but I have enough ground clearance to get in without actually bottoming out. The only thing I can think of is that when the car "twists" a little to get over the hump the traction control kicks in and makes a scraping sound...

Does anyone else have experience with the traction control sounding like a grinding noise similar to what scraping the undercarriage would sound like?

I have an uneven entrance into my garage and at first I thought my car was scraping but I have enough ground clearance to get in without actually bottoming out. The only thing I can think of is that when the car "twists" a little to get over the hump the traction control kicks in and makes a scraping sound...

I don't know that I would call it a scraping sound, but yes, mine makes an odd sound when traction control kicks in. Like a short pulse or surge noise for maybe 1 second. Pulling in or out of areas with the wheel turned will cause it.... sometimes. Seems to be random.

I know the exact sound you are talking about. Itreminds my of the same noise antilock breaks make when the system engages. I have what is probably the steepest grade driveway known to man and I was really concerned when entering it. When I first purchased my 3 it did drag a couple times entering my drive. I have since perfected the entrance into the drive over the curb coming on the biggest angle possible.

I occasionally hear the grinding noise even at an extreme angle it seems to be almost resonating through the accelerator. I have checked under my 3 and the are no signs of any dragging (felt everywhere). I also have had numerous people watch me pull in watching under my vehicle and they don’t see the bottom contact the ground when the noise is heard.

I know the exact sound you are talking about. Itreminds my of the same noise antilock breaks make when the system engages. I have what is probably the steepest grade driveway known to man and I was really concerned when entering it. When I first purchased my 3 it did drag a couple times entering my drive. I have since perfected the entrance into the drive over the curb coming on the biggest angle possible.

I occasionally hear the grinding noise even at an extreme angle it seems to be almost resonating through the accelerator. I have checked under my 3 and the are no signs of any dragging (felt everywhere). I also have had numerous people watch me pull in watching under my vehicle and they don’t see the bottom contact the ground when the noise is heard.
Thank you for this response, I just want to know if anyone else out there had a similar experience! I’ve asked my girlfriend to watch closely and I’m definitely not scraping but it is definitely a very ugly sound.

Davidleon, there really wasn't anything to figure out -- it just makes that noise when I go into my driveway -- I've had my car for about 7 months and I haven't experienced anything negative beyond the annoying noise when pulling in...

Approaching straight on instead of at an angle helps, it's also less prevalent when I have passengers as I'm assuming weight is getting spread out over the entirety of the car a little more evenly...

Just jumping in to say I have been having this issue for the last few months. I suspect it must be software update related to the Traction Control or braking as I didnt notice it when I first got the car. It definitely only happens when the car is doing a sharp turn at low speed over uneven ground. Generally over a speed bump or into a driveway is when I notice it. Glad to see others have the same problem so is unlikely to be a specific fault.