Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scraping noise over bumps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Doesn’t seem like this has been covered in previous posts.

Noticed if I go over speed bumps even slowly, as the front wheels go down I’m getting a scraping noise from what sounds like front drivers side. I’m driving MYLR23, plenty wheel clearance so it’s not like the wheel is anywhere near the underside of the arch.

Wondering if anyone else has had this, before I book in a SC app?

It’s got little ones on the front. You think it’s them causing the noise?
My little ones catch, but as I said that's a slightly lowered m3. Wouldn't have thought the short would on a Y, but depends what you are driving over!

Step 1 in any trouble shooting is work out how to re-create the problem. You'll need that whether getting help here or taking it up with the SC.

Reactions: M1tch
Hi all

Doesn’t seem like this has been covered in previous posts.

Noticed if I go over speed bumps even slowly, as the front wheels go down I’m getting a scraping noise from what sounds like front drivers side. I’m driving MYLR23, plenty wheel clearance so it’s not like the wheel is anywhere near the underside of the arch.

Wondering if anyone else has had this, before I book in a SC app?
I had a rubbing noise at low speeds in my 2019 M3P. About two months ago I booked it in and it had both front control arms and lateral links replaced under warranty.

My Y still catches some speed bump. It is better to go a bit faster as in my case its the rebound that makes the mudflaps catch the bump itself. I assume you cannot see any dropped covers under car.
Nah no dropped covers. Just wondering if it is the mud flaps but again I’d be surprised if it was cos I go across these bumps quite slowly to avoid any damage etc. Bit more investigation required I guess.

Like I said "...less scrapes, more speed". Or is it "More haste, less speed" whatever! If you go too slow the mud flaps come down crunch onto the speed bump itself. I have a viewing spot at my local Costa. I sit there watching drivers trash their mud flaps on a simple black/yellow rubber bump. The bump is littered with fragments of their pride and joy... (like I once did model 3 that time with after market mud flaps). The Y has softer rubber but they still crunch.

Last edited: