Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trialling FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok feel free to flame me if need be.

I have my first big road trip in the 3 coming up next week. According to the upgrade screen in the app it states that I can request a refund for FSD within 48 hours of purchase. I figure this would be the best time for me to see if it's really something we could benefit from. Has anyone actually purchased then had Tesla refund FSD? With the amount of highway driving on this road trip I figured navigate on AP would be cool to test, and with my 85 yr old grandmother riding with us, summon would be nice to try if we get in a tight parking situation.

Yes, a few people have posted purchasing the software boost and then requesting a refund and it worked fine. But I’m not sure I’ve ever seen the 48 hour return policy in writing anywhere. I think that was just a myth that got spread around on the forum here. If anyone finds something in writing please post it. I would not feel comfortable purchasing FSD, using it for 2 days, and then expecting a refund. It is not their intent to offer a trial. The refund was put in place to assist people who accidentally purchased it through the app without intending to do so.

Screenshot_20200212-212714.png

See the FAQ section here: Upgrades
It’s also on the Upgrades tab in the app.

OK, so 48 hours but it specifically says for purchases made from the app. So it’s unclear if you purchased FSD on the website how they would handle it. I guess someone will have to be the test case to see if you can easily try it out for 2 days and then request a refund.

Reactions: lafrisbee

I hate to be picky, but who constructs these sentences for Tesla?

The first sentence says “all sales are final”. The second sentence says “Upgrades are not eligible for a refund after 48 hours of purchase”. So it makes it clear that you can’t request a refund after 48 hours but it is silent on whether refunds are eligible prior to 48 hours after purchase. And it directly conflicts with the first sentence.

Grammar is not their strong suit.

I plan on calling ahead of time so as to make sure theres no issue. Hopefully if I do it, it hits the car right away so no time is wasted. I want to be able to use it in multiple scenarios and don't want to wait 24 of the 48 hours for it to be pushed to the car

I hate to be picky, but who constructs these sentences for Tesla?

The first sentence says “all sales are final”. The second sentence says “Upgrades are not eligible for a refund after 48 hours of purchase”. So it makes it clear that you can’t request a refund after 48 hours but it is silent on whether refunds are eligible prior to 48 hours after purchase. And it directly conflicts with the first sentence.

Grammar is not their strong suit.

The same thought went into this sentence as
i bought it and it was installed literally instantly. i also refunded it as i found it was kinda useless for the price. got the refund in about 3 days.

Thanks bro, how's the 3 doing in the great white North?

That 48 hour thing is a somewhat recent addition. I get the sense it showed up after some accidental purchases...

So it’s possibly true that intentional purchases are final, but if you kid gets your phone or you accidentally mash the button or something you have 48 hours to rush to Tesla and explain your situation and ask for a refund.

Can Tesla prove you bought it just to test vs an accident? Probably not. Will they refund, probably. Could that change at any moment or then deny it for some reason (possibly based on data seeing you used it for 500 miles straight or something) who knows...

Reactions: vickh
I think what drives me crazy and kept me from pulling the trigger to begin with is that it's not transferrable to our next Tesla. It's essentially a software purchase. Software that's running on a computer I technically own and is the same in all Model 3s around the same time mine was built and in the future, presumably the Y as well. Its really like saying I can't take my server that runs my smart home and bring it to the next house I buy. I'd understand if it was installed equipment listed on the sticker. And from what iveel read in some situations people who have bought teslas used with FSD installed on the computer have had it taken away by Tesla during audits.

And from what iveel read in some situations people who have bought teslas used with FSD installed on the computer have had it taken away by Tesla during audits.

My understanding is that was done in error, and they have since corrected it.

At least it was on the thread that I was following.

In any case I completely agree with you that FSD is software, and should be transferable if trade in your vehicle. Especially since most of its actual value is down the road an indeterminate number of years.

OK, so 48 hours but it specifically says for purchases made from the app. So it’s unclear if you purchased FSD on the website how they would handle it. I guess someone will have to be the test case to see if you can easily try it out for 2 days and then request a refund.

It might be a better idea to purchase it through the app. The reason there is even a refund now I think is some people somehow butt dialed purchasing upgrades and wanted a refund.

My understanding is that was done in error, and they have since corrected it.

At least it was on the thread that I was following.

In any case I completely agree with you that FSD is software, and should be transferable if trade in your vehicle. Especially since most of its actual value is down the road an indeterminate number of years.

If anything they should be able to swap the Hardware as I've heard it's not all that time consuming.

I think what drives me crazy and kept me from pulling the trigger to begin with is that it's not transferrable to our next Tesla. It's essentially a software purchase. Software that's running on a computer I technically own and is the same in all Model 3s around the same time mine was built and in the future, presumably the Y as well. Its really like saying I can't take my server that runs my smart home and bring it to the next house I buy. I'd understand if it was installed equipment listed on the sticker. And from what iveel read in some situations people who have bought teslas used with FSD installed on the computer have had it taken away by Tesla during audits.

I agree. At the very least if the car is traded back into Tesla the software should be valued at the full price. Then again in that scenario the person got to use FSD for the entire time of having the car for nothing since he would get a full refund for it so... Maybe that doesn't make as much sense. I agree though, it should be transferable.

I agree. At the very least if the car is traded back into Tesla the software should be valued at the full price. Then again in that scenario the person got to use FSD for the entire time of having the car for nothing since he would get a full refund for it so... Maybe that doesn't make as much sense. I agree though, it should be transferable.

What I would say to that is, Tesla will sell the car again with FSD and build it back in, essentially charging twice for the same "piece of software". It's a double dip. I'm surprised honestly in such a litigious society that noone has brought this to the courts.

That 48 hour thing is a somewhat recent addition. I get the sense it showed up after some accidental purchases...

So it’s possibly true that intentional purchases are final, but if you kid gets your phone or you accidentally mash the button or something you have 48 hours to rush to Tesla and explain your situation and ask for a refund.

Can Tesla prove you bought it just to test vs an accident? Probably not. Will they refund, probably. Could that change at any moment or then deny it for some reason (possibly based on data seeing you used it for 500 miles straight or something) who knows...

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve come close to “butt-buying” FSD. I tend to leave the app in the background on my iPhone whenI am out (my car won’t recognize me unless I do). The app really should have that purchase require checking the box rather than the box already checked. I’ve pulled the phone out of my pocket many times as the phone was at that screen. I can just imagine, one big bump and I buy FSD without even trying.

If they don’t put the purchase default as requiring you to check the box on your own - I may just switch to using key cards. For a $7000 (plus tax) purchase Tesla needs to make it a little more deliberate to do so.

When we bought the FSD upgrade, we knew it went with the car rather than us, so like it or not, there you go.

However, if someone put me in charge of the world, my policy would be that it is the seller's choice.
  1. You can leave the software license with the car, thus increasing its market value and having it be something your buyer would enjoy. Maybe you're not even buying another Tesla at the time. (I know--hard to imagine.)
  2. You can opt to take the license with you. When you sell your old Tesla, it doesn't have FSD. And you can transfer your license to your new Tesla.
It's sort of like selling and buying houses. You can choose whether to take the fridge or leave it for your buyer. (Yes, I know a fridge isn't software.)

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS