Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've enagaged lawyers in an attempt to recover FSD cost (Australian owner)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see why you can't simply purchase FSD once and transfer it to your next Tesla in perpetuity. Is there a problem with that?
The problem is less so for individual owners, but making it transferable will reduce heaps of sales for (eventual) robotaxi operators. Instead of purchasing FSD for each vehicle, or subscribe for the fleet, it’s a once off purchase.

I'm not paying for lunacies and wishful thinkings of some rich American psychopath :)
Yes especially when he also says he wants earthlings to be multiplanetary. Multiplanetary coming soon?. I didn't drink his KoolAid but I do recognise he makes reasonably good EV. I didn't buy the EV because of the RocketMan. I bought it because it made sense and there was a govt carrot

Then add in the well known "Elon time" and "coming soon" means Jack💩 to me at least. When I saw the "later this year" and "coming soon" I knew it was not going to happen anytime soon. Might sound like hindsight but I have consistent told others to not get EA/FSD.

there just wasnt any that I can find
Ok thanks
This is all I can find - for those who ordered around the time when automatic driving on city streets was "later this year"

IMG_3411.jpeg

Throwing accusations of fraud around because someone made a guestimate of when something that has never been done before will be done, or because auto wipers don't work perfectly for everyone yet, is just stupid.

Is he over-optimistic, sure, has that been obvious for years, yes, he always ends up delivering even when all the 'experts' tell us it's impossible. Guestimates are not promises, taking longer to deliver on something than estimated, is not fraud or scam, etc, making those sweeping accusations just makes a person look very silly.

The ACCC doesn’t care whether Elon is or is not a genius. The ACCC doesn’t care whether something has or has not been done before. The ACCC does not consider vague timeframes to be a “get out of jail free” card, relieving businesses from a need to comply with the law.

The ACCC cares about whether a business has taken someone’s money and then not delivered the product that was promised in a reasonable timeframe.

What is “reasonable” is somewhat a matter of judgment under the law, but previous case law, what a “reasonable person” would think, and factors such as the nature of the product, the price of the product, and whether any mitigating factors outside of the control of the provider would be relevant in determining whether the law has been broken.

Given FSD is software and purely up to Tesla to deliver, i.e. they are not dependent upon other parties or supply chains, but only their own software engineers, then I doubt the ACCC would consider that any external mitigating factors exist.

The fact that FSD costs a lot of money and that its capabilities have not been fully delivered to purchasers within 1-2 years are likely to be considered extremely relevant.

Can we see the terms and conditions pf FSD and also the agreement/contract of sale of the license.
They don't issue any new contract or Terms and Conditions.... just an invoice for purchase.

However everything is on this link: https://www.tesla.com/en_nz/support/autopilot

so traffic signal detection is BETA, everything else doesn't say it's BETA and says it changes lane by itself, it navigates on autopilot by itself... only exception is navigate on autopilot in CITY streets - rest are features available with purchase.

What about the regulatory approval bit?
I don't think a lawyer would have much trouble with that.

Tesla would have to provide evidence that the product has been ready for years but it's just the regulators that are holding it up. That is clearly not the case.

(Edit: Although it could potentially become the case once Tesla gets it approved in other countries, and then makes it public that it's ready to go in Australia pending regulatory approval and that then drags on for years...)

Yes especially when he also says he wants earthlings to be multiplanetary. Multiplanetary coming soon?. I didn't drink his KoolAid but I do recognise he makes reasonably good EV. I didn't buy the EV because of the RocketMan. I bought it because it made sense and there was a govt carrot
Unfortunately, the other reasonably priced option is to pay Chinese Communist Party, which I find a lot more unacceptable than to pay a rich American psychopath.

Reactions: mrpseudonym
Unfortunately, the other reasonably priced option is to pay Chinese Communist Party, which I find a lot more unacceptable than to pay a rich American psychopath.
major part of Tesla also made in China...
why bring politics and try to deviate from topic in discussion about Tesla promising same thing every year for last 9 years but never delivered... I mean - stupid wipers don't work yet and you get them working perfectly in old vintage Mini or Fabio...

Cars are good and interesting - technology is advance... but competitions are producing similar or better results - minus false claims of Full Self Driving (Autonomous) and need of company staff publicly lying to everyone about any features not certified or completed at production level...

Don't even get me started on how he polluted the world... correction - Universe... by throwing first PR junk roadster in outer space for fame and publicity... SpaceX Roadster (Starman) | TheSkyLive

Last edited:
There's no doubt Elon is the 'great disruptor' of our time. If it wasn't for him the Prius hybrid would still be the 'green' way of the future. I can cut him some slack because he's way ahead of the curve with automobile technology and his thought process is years ahead of where we currently sit. But, to promote FSD and EAP and sell them at a premium in markets like Australia is just wrong. Everyone that made the mistake of doing that should be refunded IMO.

In this world we are faced with Hobson’s Choices all the time, unfortunately. Certainly I find the other alternative of funding Middle East/Russian despots and dictators and their oil cartels even worse. And that’s before considering the impact of their product on the planet.