Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tricks for getting Summon to connect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm finding my success rate to get Summon working, in a reasonable amount of time, to be about 50%. Often times it hangs in "connecting" mode for quite a while and then asks to reconnect. Other times it says the vehicle proximity sensor is covered, wherever that is. I've tried opening the trunk or operating the door handle, which means the car is certainly recognizing the proximity of my iPhone, but that seems to confuse the system even more.

The times that I'm guaranteed to not connect is when the request follows me saying to a friend "Hey, check this out..."
Then I fumble with the phone for so long that it ends with "Nevermind, get in."

Anyone found a quick and easy way to ensure a connection to use Summon more reliably?

• Helpful
Reactions: maingirl22
I'm finding my success rate to get Summon working, in a reasonable amount of time, to be about 50%. Often times it hangs in "connecting" mode for quite a while and then asks to reconnect. Other times it says the vehicle proximity sensor is covered, wherever that is. I've tried opening the trunk or operating the door handle, which means the car is certainly recognizing the proximity of my iPhone, but that seems to confuse the system even more.

The times that I'm guaranteed to not connect is when the request follows me saying to a friend "Hey, check this out..."
Then I fumble with the phone for so long that it ends with "Nevermind, get in."

Anyone found a quick and easy way to ensure a connection to use Summon more reliably?
Same problems for me ... and the "summons has been cancelled because the proximity sensor on your phone is blocked" really was confusing. Check that any screen protector is clean and isn't blocking the sensor.

It's more like 30% for me. I noticed it works better when connected via cellular data rather than Wi-Fi, even if the WiFi connection is more stable for some reason.

As for proximity sensor, are you sure it wasn't talking about the phone and not the vehicle? That sensor is usually next to the earpiece speaker on the phone next to the front facing camera. I get that error only if I accidentally cover my phone's front with my hand or put it in my pocket. I'm guessing they did that so that you don't accidentally move your car with summon while your phone is in your pocket.

• Disagree
Reactions: xyeahtony
It's pretty annoying. I have to close the app and restart it which kind of defeats the purpose. Sometimes I'm trying to save time by pulling my car out of the garage to load it up but I end up standing in front of my car messing around with my phone to get it to work. It'd be faster to just get in and pull it out myself.

Reactions: MosquitoFloss
Summon never works for me if my car and phone are connected to my home WiFi. If I turn off WiFi on my phone it’ll work 100% of the time.
I have just the OPPOSITE PROBLEM, Smart Summon on my 2017S75/HW3/MCU1/FSD2 ONLY works while I am connected to WiFi??? Even stranger, it worked previously w/o a hitch, and I haven’t (knowingly) changed any settings on phone or car.

It's more like 30% for me. I noticed it works better when connected via cellular data rather than Wi-Fi, even if the WiFi connection is more stable for some reason.

As for proximity sensor, are you sure it wasn't talking about the phone and not the vehicle? That sensor is usually next to the earpiece speaker on the phone next to the front facing camera. I get that error only if I accidentally cover my phone's front with my hand or put it in my pocket. I'm guessing they did that so that you don't accidentally move your car with summon while your phone is in your pocket.
As a matter of fact, the iPhone proximity sensor is SO sensitive, that it recognizes my right hand finger as I pass by and hit the back button! I now use left hand only for the phone and it works fine.