Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip planning - elevation change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a rule of thumb for miles to add to a trip for elevation gain, such as add so many miles per 1,000' of elevation? I believe I read some where else that there was such an estimate, but I forgot where. I'm brand new to all this, and I have an upcoming trip that's 188 mi long with an elevation gain of about 2,000', temp will be around 25º or so.. I think I'll be fine, but I'd like to get a better idea.

Thank you,

Tony

Unless the altitude change is substantial. Don’t worry about it. The only real concern is being certain you have sufficient charge left at the top in case of unexpected happenings. An example I was sitting in Hilo with 104 miles of range showing and the car said no problem reaching my house in Kona over the Saddle road ( 6600ft higher). However, at the crest it showed 12 miles left and 40+ to go. When I got home it showed 32 miles left, exactly what it projected. However if there had been any woops I could have been in a world of hurt(no cell). After that, if the car showed less than 125 mi of range, I would get a splash first. Other than things like that, don’t worry.

Is there a rule of thumb for miles to add to a trip for elevation gain, such as add so many miles per 1,000' of elevation? I believe I read some where else that there was such an estimate, but I forgot where. I'm brand new to all this, and I have an upcoming trip that's 188 mi long with an elevation gain of about 2,000', temp will be around 25º or so.. I think I'll be fine, but I'd like to get a better idea.

Thank you,

Tony
I live uphill from work. Travel down then up ~1000 vertical feet over 8 miles every day. For my trip home I typically see about double my “average Wh/mi. For example right now since May 1 my average is 227 Wh/mi. And yesterday I charged at work and my Wh/mi since last charge (on the way home) is 390. In the winter with the heat on I’ve seen 600-700 Wh/mi for my drive home.