Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk opened on its own and missing video?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to a Dr Appt today.

13:50 Arrived at Dr Office
14:27 Got iphone alert that trunk is open? Looked at app and showed that the truck is open.
14:30 Went to parking lot and confirmed that truck is open. nothing missing. Mirrors were folded in so doors were locked.
14:31 closed truck with app

Then went into car to view video and see if anyone was near the car when the truck was opened. Low and behold, there was a 15 minute gap in the video from 14:02 - 14:27

14:27 jumped from 14:01 to 14:27. At 14:01 the truck was closed. and at 14:27 it was already opened. Missing 15 minutes of recorded video????

I was looking for recording at the time the truck was opened but the video is missing like the famous 18 minute Nixon tape gap.

Seriously, Can anyone explain why this happened to my recording and why the truck was opened?

Last edited:
Is there a second phone that has the Tesla app installed, connected to your Tesla Model Y?
Yes, the wife's phone. She was with me. It's possible one of us activated truck open on an iPhone but that doesn't explain the recording gap.

We also have apple watches with app to control the tesla. My thoughts were that perhaps the wife or I hit the open truck on the watch but it gives you a second screen that asks "Open Trunk. Really Open Trunk" and you have to select open trunk in that screen. So that is unlikely.

What I can't explain is the missing 15 minute of recording.

FWIW The trunk opened on me shortly after leaving Costco on Southern Blvd while in Florida last year and eggs and a few other items ended up on the pavement. Tesla said it was a sensor failure and it was replaced under warranty. Ask Tesla to remote in to your vehicle via a service request. Perhaps they can see something?