Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Tesla Model Y Lemon in CA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the service center can’t replicate the issue, they can’t fix it. Either you would need to bring it in and hope it happens in front of them or leave it there long enough they can attempt enough times to see it themselves. Also an intermittent issue with a trunk is far from a pressing safety issue.
I’ve never had to lemon a car, but have done it with a motorcycle a few years ago in CA. It’s not a quick process, because the service dept. needs time to troubleshoot and go through every possible solution before the manufacturer will initiate the buy back. It’s slow, but painless, at least in my experience.
A lawyer is a waste of money and time.
The problem is that even I showed in front of many service advisors including their manager on 3/22, they just didn't fix and requested to me to make some bug report. Yup I did. But on 3/24 the 2nd visit, they said "unable to verify customer concern technician had Pulled bug reports and periscope". In this case, the advisors just refused to fix even my car is new and in warranty.

I will record everything what they will say during the next visit if they say same thing.

The problem is that even I showed in front of many service advisors including their manager on 3/22, they just didn't fix and requested to me to make some bug report. Yup I did. But on 3/24 the 2nd visit, they said "unable to verify customer concern technician had Pulled bug reports and periscope". In this case, the advisors just refused to fix even my car is new and in warranty.

I will record everything what they will say during the next visit if they say same thing.
Any update for the lemon law? I'm also having door issues and also consider lemon law.

Wow an incredible amount of misinformation, some of which is from posters not even in California or who don’t understand how the heavily pro-consumer lemon law works in California.

I’ve been through it once with Ford forcing a full buyback and now I’ve initiated against Tesla, both times via an attorney. The original poster should stop what they’re doing and go directly to a reputable lemon law attorney who has demonstrable success against Tesla. An Internet chat board with biased opinions is not the place to find information on which to base important decisions.

don’t forget that you’ll get reduced amount depending on the mileage of the car. I thought I read somewhere it’s like $.65/mile
You get the amount back dated to when the problem first presented itself (first service)... so in OP's case, everything including interest on the loan. In any case, if you don't want to pressure Tesla directly consult a lawyer.

And yeah seriously, even the Q&A explains it, there is no minimum requirement, only guidance, for attempted fixes for resolution in California. Pulling on the buy-back string may also put the right pressure for the service department to get a fix, get a loaner so you're not inconvenienced while they can diagnose and properly resolve the issue, etc.

Subaru of America sent someone to resolve a stereo issue when I pulled on it and cut me a check for an aftermarket stereo when they essentially couldn't resolve it.

The idea a consumer should have to live with a defect, especially for what is usually the second largest purchase, is absurd. It's understandable that the service department may have issues troubleshooting it but that's irrelevant to whether or not a resolution is warranted by the manufacturer (Tesla)

Reactions: Iron and jiehan
It is not. Look under California Lemon Law at Buying and Maintaining a Car.

I'm in California. I had my former '19 Bolt bought back by GM (as did many others) due the battery fire recall. I don't have time to retell the story but mentioned at the below:

I drove my car the whole time from when it got included in the recall in Aug 2021 until the day I surrendered it at end of Jan 2022. I even got hit by a Bolt parking ban at my work which I mentioned at Bolt Parking Only.
I have a 2021 GM Bolt and the battery fire recall was a big nothing burger.
It was a bad business decision from GM to replace all batteries because 0.0016% of all Bolts caught fire. The very very few that caught fire I'm wondering what was the actual cause.

It was a bad business decision from GM to replace all batteries because 0.0016% of all Bolts caught fire. The very very few that caught fire I'm wondering what was the actual cause.
I think it's more of a reputational thing in that they are about to release a bunch of new EV's and don't want this issue to bleed over into their new cars. It was cheaper to do this than have that hangover effect. It also shows they will stand behind their products.

The problem is that even I showed in front of many service advisors including their manager
It was demonstrated but service didn't do anything ... hmmm. No activity from OP since April, maybe problem was fixed. I saw the video and two thoughs come to mind. The video did not show the back of the compartment ... maybe an object was in the way, maybe the latch was not in a good position. The other is a question, what did that message say after long pressing the button? And what does that do?
Screenshot_20230920_061829_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I think the few battery fires were caused by bad home wiring.
Well, GM did determine that a small number of LG battery cells had 'badly folded tabs' which contributed to the issue. So you can't blame homeowners for this.

Reactions: cwerdna
I was following along since I was affected. As you could imagine, the opinions about the level of danger/risk were ALL over the map w/some barely worried to other non-stop complaining and saying basically the sky is falling.
Personally I think the few battery fires were caused by bad home wiring.
For sure not all were. At least even caught on fire while it was on the road. was one. We discussed it a bunch including at 9/13/21 Bolt Fire - 2019 model in Cherokee County, GA.

I did see the video that's been removed at the top of Apparently a 2020 Bolt has suffered a battery fire. A few other folks did too. The car had been done charging for a while and the flames came from the car.

I don't recall if the cause of Watch Opel Ampera-e catch fire in Germany was determined but from what I see at the beginning, it doesn't look like it's caused by wiring or cabling external to the car.

Also see https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V560-6162.PDF, pages 2 and 3. This is from one of several defect 573 docs at 2019 CHEVROLET BOLT EV 5 HB FWD | NHTSA under campaign 21V560000. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RMISC-21V560-8766.pdf was also attached.

GM has said at General Motors to Recall Additional Bolt EVs (when GM extended the recall to include US-pack Bolts too, not just MIK packs, which meant all Bolts produced from the beginning up to the point were recalled), says:
" In rare circumstances, the batteries supplied to GM for these vehicles may have two manufacturing defects – a torn anode tab and folded separator – present in the same battery cell, which increases the risk of fire. Out of an abundance of caution, GM will replace defective battery modules in Chevrolet Bolt EVs and EUVs with new modules, with an expected additional cost of approximately $1 billion.

“Our focus on safety and doing the right thing for our customers guides every decision we make at GM,” said Doug Parks, GM executive vice president, Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain. “As leaders in the transition to an all-electric future, we know that building and maintaining trust is critical. GM customers can be confident in our commitment to taking the steps to ensure the safety of these vehicles.”

After further investigation into the manufacturing processes at LG and disassembling battery packs, GM discovered manufacturing defects in certain battery cells produced at LG manufacturing facilities beyond the Ochang, Korea, plant. GM and LG are working to rectify the cause of these defects. In the meantime, GM is pursuing commitments from LG for reimbursement of this field action."

What really pissed me off is some folks spreading misinformation like ZenRockGarden here. See my responses starting at 2 Month Tesla Owner - Fed up and Done. Ugh! It's one thing to dislike GM or be very concerned or badly affected (e.g. Bolts got banned at my work in Oct 2021 (I had no other car in my household of 1) which is a whole long story that in itself and is moot now) but it's another to spread all sorts of misinformation.

Last edited: