Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2) I believe Elon was humbled by large investors who basically said ‘we believe in you 100% and have your back’. That allowed him to hear from his backers, as opposed to normally only hearing from his critics.

I think this was the main point, the large shareholders told him that they don't care about the WS analysts fixation on the short-term, so he is free to look/plan further out. So as long as he can ignore the FUD he doesn't need to go private.

My only hope is that he doesn't back off on the Q3&Q4 profitability, but after a couple profitable quarters he should feel free to tap the market for more money so he can accelerate the Y, Semi, 2020 Roadster, and Pickup. That is what I would like to see happen.

Last edited:
Reciprocity is right, if any of you have a twitter account then please get over there and help out this week. As Q3 earnings approaches and the news of TSLA staying public sinks in the Shorts and FUDsters are becoming increasingly desperate and devious.
PLEASE HELP your fellow TMC on twitter to fight the FUD and lies.
Please help fight the fight .if you guys care about tesla and love to speak your mind then come join us on Twitter fight against nasty short seller and reporters who seem to make up lies and stories fight them with fact. SHOW THEM WHAT TESLA IS MADE OF.

Ok people. Tesla is staying public. Now is the time to take a stand against the FUD. I know that TMC is a nice safe place to validate your beliefs in Tesla and the mission, but it's a bit of an echo chamber. While the best, most knowledgeable Tesla minds debate endlessly how many cars Tesla will make and how big Tesla will get, there is a war going on for the hearts and minds of the unwitting who are begging duped into shorting Tesla and spreading lies by parking lot truthers and a constant flow of lies and made up facts.

Just ask 10 random people about Tesla and Elon. You will be shocked at how many echo fud. Social media is a powerful tool, it elected a President many of you despise, yet you huddle in the corner muttering how great Tesla is with little or no actual resistance. It's too bad that more people don't read TMC before deciding what to invest in, but they don't. It's too bad traditional media doesn't come to TMC before posting a dumbass article. They take the short cut off searching for $tsla on Twitter and only see a slew of hot garbage.

It is time to get off your arses and counter some fud. I'm only asking that your search for $tsla and find 10 lies per day to correct with facts and a bit of humor. That is the only cure for fud poisoning.

If the best of the best minds from TMC did only that, fudsters would be overwhelmed and we could start to take control of the narrative which will have an impact on what Traditional media broadcasts. It's time.. the fud will ratchet up with the latest chaos around the sec/public/private debate. I emplore you to dive in and take no prisoners! Remember, facts and humor. Keep it light and it will spread.

Awesome to see this rally to fight FUD on Twitter. I've been doing it for a few months now under a different handle, and it feels rewarding to have some impact. If you're a creative type, it can be really fun. I just do it in my spare time at night. Just be honest, factual, and do your best to be civil.

Totally agree. I’m small fry, lost just $20K, but wouldn’t dream of suing. I believe in the mission and the company, and besides, it was my choice to trade options.
There will be massive swing after q3 letter. So you've lost money only if to compare with max you could earn during last swing.
Afterthoughts are deadly in gambling.

I see 3 forces at play on Monday

1. For people who betted on the deal going through, it is bad news and they might sell out of fear, or to trim position.
2. For people who betted on the deal not going through, this removes the uncertainty which might allow them to move forward
3. Haters and shorts will continue to do what they have always been doing – spread FUD and short during time of uncertainty

Pushing a privatization plan that eventually fails could be disruptive and negatively impact share price, so it is natural for people afraid of the consequence to sell in anticipation of the eventual failure. Based on the price action of the last 3 weeks, where we had an initial jump followed by mostly declines, my guess is that the second group far outnumbers the first.

I think the price action will be dominated by what people in the second group would do on Monday. Since these people sold due to fear of failed plan, let’s look at what these fears might have been:

1. Elon pushing the plan against reasons and in the process destroying board/investor trust and disrupting norm operation
2. Elon exposing his character and mental defects
3. Elon losing credibility

Elon making a quick decision yesterday largely eliminated the fear #1 and #2 – his action and well-written letter showed that he was rational and clear minded, listens to others, and willing to do the right thing when called for. The only damage was that he lost a little bit of credibility by starting something he couldn’t finish ;)

Based on this, I would not be surprised to see some initial drop in share price (due to group #1 and #3) on Monday and then followed by buying (due to group #2.) We could easily get back to pre-tweet price of $340-350 by end of week.
350 was done after Saudi news, with the expectation that they will bring more money after disclosure.

Reactions: neroden
Reciprocity is right, if any of you have a twitter account then please get over there and help out this week. As Q3 earnings approaches and the news of TSLA staying public sinks in the Shorts and FUDsters are becoming increasingly desperate and devious.
PLEASE HELP your fellow TMC on twitter to fight the FUD and lies.

Indeed. I met with a friend on Friday morning and a group of good friends on Friday night. Almost all of them thought that:

a) Elon is a drug addict
b) He's going to be fired
c) The company is on the verge of disappearing

They are people who like to be informed, but on many different things. So I think that the average person, who doesn't get exposure to Tesla for more than 5-10 minutes a day, has more or less these ideas.

I also believe that having more cars around and better numbers will help a lot to fight the FUD.

But while we get there, I think it's important that we spend a bit time and energy out there (like twitter) to try to balance the current sentiment with facts, information and humour. We can always come back here to recharge and restore our faith in humanity.

Just my 2 cents.

That awesome and debunks another FUD that is still out there. Compare that to other EV manufacturers. Now they need to do something as well.

For me that means my P3D will be almost 100% with renewable produced.

Sometimes its an advantage to be late with delivery...

Love it!

Indeed. I met with a friend on Friday morning and a group of good friends on Friday night. Almost all of them thought that:

a) Elon is a drug addict
b) He's going to be fired
c) The company is on the verge of disappearing

They are people who like to be informed, but on many different things. So I think that the average person, who doesn't get exposure to Tesla for more than 5-10 minutes a day, has more or less these ideas.

I also believe that having more cars around and better numbers will help a lot to fight the FUD.

But while we get there, I think it's important that we spend a bit time and energy out there (like twitter) to try to balance the current sentiment with facts, information and humour. We can always come back here to recharge and restore our faith in humanity.

Just my 2 cents.
Graun' readers by any chance?

Reactions: 1208
I’m by no means a native speaker...

Video gave a great explanation of why Tesla is building a factory in Shanghai, China. Video starts with saying the locals all know Tesla is building a Factory but not sure exactly where it will be. The shot of the open green field is the actual land. The Tesla factory will have other Chinese manufacturing neighbors. Really No new info we didn’t already know on why Tesla selected China to build GF3 like area with suppliers, port access, technology hub, logistics hub, Tesla’s second biggest market, etc. Two years to complete.
No 25%import duties. Only building Model 3.

Funny you picked out this video maybe at random and it didn’t have any FUD I can tell and just facts. And no reporter’s usless opinion.

This is wrong.

Tesla cars sold in China from this factory will suffer 25% tariff because the tesla factory is a solely owned foreign entity. Even if it is in Shanghai.

Hi!

We both promised, that we don’t forget, that you are certain, that the 420 deal will go trough.

What do you think about your certainty now?

The thing is the deal would have gone through if Elon would have made the proposal.

In the board meeting GS presented a path to make it happen. They left the room and Elon said he pulls back because of issues around retailer investors and distraction from their mission as a company. That indicates that the funding was secured and enough large investors backed the $420 plan. Otherwise GS and Silver Lake would not have presented how to do it.

So if Elon would have proposed the deal would have gone through.

Although I would have loved to see the shorts squeezed out I am delighted that Elon protect the retail investors and I can stay in for sure.

Source a NYT article. Sounds credible this time: NY Times article details behind the scenes of the board meeting on Thursday. Interesting read. : teslamotors

This is wrong.

Tesla cars sold in China from this factory will suffer 25% tariff because the tesla factory is a solely owned foreign entity. Even if it is in Shanghai.

I think this is fundamentally wrong: while the Chinese Gigafactory is in Shanghai, it's not in the Shanghai Free-Trade Zone (which is subject to tariffs), but on mainland China. Tesla will be a 100% foreign owned but domestic carmaker in China.

So not only will tariffs be 0%, but Tesla cars will also likely be able to get the EV incentives of domestic Chinese EV carmakers, which are very generous: above $7,300 per car:

vincent on Twitter

... because the incentives scale up with battery range and Tesla is able to reach the highest incentive category.

Also note that Chinese EV incentives are not tax incentives like in the U.S., but are directly given to carmakers, regardless of the tax bracket of the person purchasing the car. This widens the number of customers who are able to purchase Teslas.

This is why the Chinese Gigafactory, 100% owned by Tesla, is such a big deal - the Model 3 will be able to reach literally 10x-20x more customers in Chinese market, because instead of $140k starting prices the effective starting prices will be in the $25k range ... Profit margins will also be much better, because instead of 40% of the purchase price being lost to tariffs, there's effective negative tariffs due to the EV incentive. On a $50k ASP Model 3 the incentive plus Tesla's position as a domestic manufacturer is equivalent to an about -15% tariff.

This is what Elon's trip to China and Beijing and his meeting the #2 Politburo member in the Chinese hierarchy was all about I think.

So please repeat this everywhere you see the Chinese Gigafactory discussed: it's on mainland China, with a full political buy-in and support from the Chinese political hierarchy all the way from Shanghai to Beijing, which a BFD!

Last edited:
Ok people. Tesla is staying public. Now is the time to take a stand against the FUD. I know that TMC is a nice safe place to validate your beliefs in Tesla and the mission, but it's a bit of an echo chamber. While the best, most knowledgeable Tesla minds debate endlessly how many cars Tesla will make and how big Tesla will get, there is a war going on for the hearts and minds of the unwitting who are begging duped into shorting Tesla and spreading lies by parking lot truthers and a constant flow of lies and made up facts.

Just ask 10 random people about Tesla and Elon. You will be shocked at how many echo fud. Social media is a powerful tool, it elected a President many of you despise, yet you huddle in the corner muttering how great Tesla is with little or no actual resistance. It's too bad that more people don't read TMC before deciding what to invest in, but they don't. It's too bad traditional media doesn't come to TMC before posting a dumbass article. They take the short cut off searching for $tsla on Twitter and only see a slew of hot garbage.

It is time to get off your arses and counter some fud. I'm only asking that your search for $tsla and find 10 lies per day to correct with facts and a bit of humor. That is the only cure for fud poisoning.

If the best of the best minds from TMC did only that, fudsters would be overwhelmed and we could start to take control of the narrative which will have an impact on what Traditional media broadcasts. It's time.. the fud will ratchet up with the latest chaos around the sec/public/private debate. I emplore you to dive in and take no prisoners! Remember, facts and humor. Keep it light and it will spread.
Ok guys, what about a new thread called "FUD-Fighter" or "Pravduh-help" where FUD news ontwitter is being placed, when some reasonable "defudding" help is needed?

Although I would have loved to see the shorts squeezed out I am delighted that Elon protect the retail investors and I can stay in for sure.

Also note that KarenRei made the argument previously that too many institutional investors would have cashed out at $420, i.e. going private would have effectively bailed out the shorts at $420.

If Karen is right then that $420 price floor is now gone, and Tesla staying public might magnify any short squeeze, if one triggers at prices over $400.

So if what you want to see is the 'short burn of the century', it's still very much possible, it's just on Elon Time.

Last edited:

Note one effect of FUD and stock bashing: it delays investment interest, it creates "pent up demand" for Tesla shares. That kind of barrier against investing into Tesla will probably erode catastrophically.

We saw this happen with SpaceX: there was a lot of FUD, and then suddenly, after the key event of the Falcon Heavy launch, public opinion turned almost 180 degrees. There's still FUD from the Musk-haters, but the FUD's efficiency on members of the general public got reduced significantly.

I think we are going to see a similar event with Tesla as well.

Reactions: neroden
I see some loser posting about lawsuits etc
I personally lost well over a million dollars on August 7th after the $420 tweet having to sell 2020 and 2019 OTM calls and switching into ITM 2019s
Am I suing Elon Musk or Tesla?
No, never!
There is something called personal responsibility
If you can’t handle the heat don’t go into the kitchen
Too many losers in this world trying to make money off suing others
Totally disgusting

One of the best posts I've ever seen here, @TrendTrader007 !

Status
Not open for further replies.