Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe in 1 year we'll all look back and say: Damn that one tweet that destroyed a whole car company.
I dont think so. I think Tesla, as a brand, lives a very long successful career. I just think it wont be under the current capital structure.

EV's are the future, everyone knows it. Tesla brand (as of now, although this could get hurt) is still the primo name in the EV game, it might always be. I think that has value and think it lives on.

The problem is the way it has the most value is being owned by an organization that is heavily capitalized ALREADY and has all the resources necessary to make great EV's. Tesla has great bits and pieces, but it just doesnt have the total package of what a car manufacturer needs to be.

If Tesla does restructure (likely leading to a significant drop in SP, possibly to zero), I would very likely be a buyer in the new entity if it was structured properly. It is a great name and a great brand (with great products when QC is working), but the company itself is missing some very important pieces to be successful as it stands today.

Boomer, I agree with everything you wrote except David Morton. He came in at a salary of $350k, but was also granted a $10 million equity grant payable in 4 years. The man is an accountant. The only way you walk away from that kind of money is if you a) hit the lottery b) find a beautiful, single, rich heiress to marry you, or c) realize the odds of the grant being worth staying around for 4 years are very slim.

“Since I joined Tesla on August 6th, the level of public attention placed on the company, as well as the pace within the company, have exceeded my expectations,” Morton said in the filing. “This caused me to reconsider my future. I want to be clear that I believe strongly in Tesla, its mission, and its future prospects, and I have no disagreements with Tesla’s leadership or its financial reporting.”

In plain English it means this poor guy walked into a complete "sh*t-storm". While he has no "disagreements" with Tesla's financial reporting he seemingly did not like what he saw ahead. Because otherwise, they would have had to fire him and pry him out of his office to walk away from $10 million. If the poor guy is married he probably came home to another one too! lol

Can you imagine trying to explain to your wife why you walked away from $10 million?
Good point. Tesla must have some serious problems. I am afraid

fair point. but we’ll probably never hear the real reason ...and as you stated, will have to have time to allow us to figure it out ourselves.
i’d tend to agree that it’s not a good look that he's left, whether it’s bevaide he truly just can’t handle the sh!tshow right now, or if he didn’t think he’d last 4 years to get the bonus.
You have to hand it to the Tesla legal department. They must have one hell of an air-tight NDA. Because no one from the C-suite talks on the record. From Jason Wheeler and Jon McNeill on down.

Good point. Tesla must have some serious problems. I am afraid
I did not say that. I said David Morton just may not have liked what he saw for his own reasons. And you only need to post a response once. We heard you the first time ;)

EDIT: Now you are even starting to annoy me and that takes a LOT since I take verbal lashings all the time.

You forgot to mention that the graph is correct, it's only delayed. While the competition is flatlining.

Sure! I would never dare to suggest, that a prediction that's off by a factor of only 2 or so on the timeframe is incorrect. The Ford graph is correct too btw. One could easily argue, it can't be incorrect, since it's basically not saying anything and thus does not contain a single untruth ... ;-)

fair point. but we’ll probably never hear the real reason ...and as you stated, will have to have time to allow us to figure it out ourselves.
i’d tend to agree that it’s not a good look that he's left, whether it’s because he truly just can’t handle the sh!tshow right now, or if he didn’t think he’d last 4 years to get the bonus.
I find it difficult to believe, that in 21 days you think that you can’t handle it. I mean, how this looks when he is applying for next job.

Shortsville Times
Musk YouTube Breakdown Sends Tesla Shares Over a Cliff

Brandishing an outsize glass of whiskey in one hand and a cigar-sized marijuana "blunt" in the other, Tesla CEO Elon Musk embarked on a samurai sword wielding meltdown during a live YouTube interview last night. His mind clouded by drugs, booze, insomnia, megalomania and alien brainwaves, the erratic entrepreneur alternated between crazed laughter and morose ruminations about crazy subjects like human survival and AI during a bizarre two-and-half hour conversation with comedian and fellow stoner, Seth Rogen, at one point appearing on the brink of lopping off the stunned host's head with a samurai sword, at another of attacking him with a flamethrower....

Why is he a train wreck...IN YOUR opinion....because of short term stock volatility?
Having built four of the most talked about companies in the last 20 years with two being unbelievably successful (PayPal,Space X) I think he has been a little bit better that a "Train Wreck"
Yes because of short term stock volatility. That is a harmful thing. It harms the company and shareholders. I don't care about the random walk in the park type of stock volatility, it's just noise. Volatility due to the seemingly irrational and unstable behavior of the CEO and the non-stop revolving door of top management concerns me.

Reactions: Matias
True. I currently do not know what to do with my shares. I guess I try to stick with them and sell them around 300-340 with luck for a small loss.

But if the scandal comes out before I might get a total loss :(

THE scandal? Please explain.

On a more personal level I believe it would be good for you to take a break because you are talking yourself into an ever darker abyss. Breathe.

THE scandal? Please explain.

On a more personal level I believe it would be good for you to take a break because you are talking yourself into an ever darker abyss. Breathe.

Stop feeding the troll. "Mike" is only here to astroturf. He's not an investor like he pretends to be. Look at his comment history.

Someone please logic check me on this.

There was an earlier post that showed the percentage of institutional investor holding TSLA is dropping substantially. The institutional ownership went from 61.5% in Dec 31, 2017 to 45.5% on June 30, 2018.

Then, when there is huge good news, such as Tesla showing profitability in Q3, wouldn't a lowered percentage of institutional investors mean a more depressed gain in stock price? I'm making the assumption that II's are long term holders. Then, with less II's, then there's a lot more retail ownership, which would be open to trading. Therefore, the number of shares available to gobble up is a lot more when there is less long term ownership from institutional investors?

Note: I'm secretly hoping a scenario where the institutional investors are all long term, which don't really have much influence on the stock price. But, a high number of long term holders mean less supply of shares to buy/trade, which should mean during a time of really good news, the stock price would roar upwards from limited supply of shares to buy. Long term investors would be like: "We knew it was going to have a meteoric rise. You want in? Fight and bid up over the limited number of shares!"

Reactions: SpaceCash
Shortsville Times

Brandishing an outsize glass of whiskey in one hand and a cigar-sized marijuana "blunt" in the other, Tesla CEO Elon Musk embarked
Shortsville Times

Brandishing an outsize glass of whiskey in one hand and a cigar-sized marijuana "blunt" in the other, Tesla CEO Elon Musk embarked on a samurai sword wielding meltdown during a live YouTube interview last night. His mind clouded by drugs, booze, insomnia, megalomania and alien brainwaves, the erratic entrepreneur alternated between crazed laughter and morose ruminations about crazy subjects like human survival and AI during a bizarre two-and-half hour conversation with comedian and fellow stoner, Seth Rogen, at one point appearing on the brink of lopping off the stunned host's head with a samurai sword, at another of attacking him with a flamethrower....
Looking at this, Mark Matousek is an amateur. I am afraid, he could read out this.:)
Please, post no publishing without written permission.;)

I dont think so. I think Tesla, as a brand, lives a very long successful career. I just think it wont be under the current capital structure.

EV's are the future, everyone knows it. Tesla brand (as of now, although this could get hurt) is still the primo name in the EV game, it might always be. I think that has value and think it lives on.

The problem is the way it has the most value is being owned by an organization that is heavily capitalized ALREADY and has all the resources necessary to make great EV's. Tesla has great bits and pieces, but it just doesnt have the total package of what a car manufacturer needs to be.

If Tesla does restructure (likely leading to a significant drop in SP, possibly to zero), I would very likely be a buyer in the new entity if it was structured properly. It is a great name and a great brand (with great products when QC is working), but the company itself is missing some very important pieces to be successful as it stands today.

So... you really don't have anything to say, other than you think/hope that $TSLA goes bankwupt? I mean, you think anyone is supposed to take you seriously when you say that they need to be bought by a company that "has all the resources necessary to make great EV's." Who, pray tell, is that? I promise and pinky swear not to laugh at your answer.

Or the part where you say "Tesla has great bits and pieces...". Um, yeah, like manufacturing capacity to produce the M3 in volume. Or the part about the supercharger network. Or maybe you are referring to their autopilot software? Or their high performance neural network chip? Maybe you meant such trivia as their ordering website? Having distribution points to get sold vehicles to the purchaser? Or maybe you meant the part where they do OTA updates, famously fixing a braking issue raised by consumer reports?

You are right, they definitely have great bits and pieces. But somehow you get from there to "it just doesnt have the total package of what a car manufacturer needs to be." I'm not sure I follow. The fact that they don't make a legacy engine or car? But to make sure we don't miss your point (whatever it is) you follow up with "the company itself is missing some very important pieces to be successful as it stands today." [edit: I mean't to put in a clarifying question here: can you be specific as to what it is you feel they are lacking?]

Right, so having positive cash flow (yeah, I know, we have to wait for the earnings call to have this nailed down, but it was obvious from Q2 that this is inevitable this year) is not successful? Having the best selling luxury sedan is not successful? You know, there are other car companies that would very much like to have that sort of "not successful."

But then again, you signature line gives you away. You are a bear and have shorted $TSLA, so naturally you are *hoping* that the only way they could be successful would be to go bankwupt. I'll grant you that you are not a paid troll like has been recently inhabiting the forums -- I only started posting recently, but I've been lurking and I know your post history.

Maybe you really don't get why you keep getting banned and I do believe that you "come in peace" -- you are not trying to stir it up, and I appreciate that. All I ask is that you honestly try to separate from your short position in $TSLA and look at this objectively. You can be horrified by Musk's behavior (as some bulls are) and think that they are not following a good business plan, but don't try and pretend that Tesla does not have what it takes to be a car company -- because the present facts state very plainly that they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.