Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And he already broke it... You've clearly missed the last 24 hours of his tweets.... He's awesome... LOL

But seriously, if you haven't seen any of his tweet's over the last few years on every single thing he's "gonna do", just 2-4 weeks away, or the Semi....or the pick-up....or 10k production....or the China factory....or profitability...in 2013....or 2014....or 2015....or 2016....or 2017....or 2018....or any of the other bullshit he sells to people......you just haven't been paying attention...

I wish you luck, sir... I'm about off to bed...
Pics or I call BS! ;) And by pics I mean links to support your assertion. :p

Elon's refusal to settle and his recent SEC tweet were clearly the triggers for a $40 and $20 drop so why are you supporting his tweets? I don't think Elon understand the impact a drop from 350 to 260 in a matter of weeks has on average small investors. He said he did not care about day traders and that true long term investors would be OK - this showed that he had no appreciation of how hard it was on small investors. Some of us put 10, 20, 30 years worth of saving on tsla and when it drops from 350 to 260 that represents as much as 10 year's hardwork. For a middle class investor losing 10 year's saving would have a huge impact to his/her quality of life. Also, most middle class investors can't afford to put away a large chunk of net worth for 10 years waiting for loss to recover even if they have complete faith (kid going to college, medical emergencies, retirement, etc.) Elon's net worth could drop from 30B to 20B but his quality of life would never change.

I am not saying Elon doesn't care but I think he does not understand small investors. HyperChange and TeslaDailyPodcast both came out and appealed to Elon - I think they did us a great service. I also sent a letter to Elon via tsla ir - not that I expect him to read it but at least someone might compile the sentiments and provide feedback to him.

I think you still did not get my point. On the surface, his tweet caused the drops. But actually the shorts wielded influences with propaganda machine caused the drops, his tweets are just the alibi they use these times . If he shuts up and nobody pays attention to the persecution of tsla, shorts will freely create more lies and further destroy tsla. In a word, the current pain could be pale to the potential pain shorts can cause. Did you consider this possibility?

I have no idea what you mean by losing 10 years of hardwork. Stock goes up, stock goes down. If you think in term of paper losses as real losses than the market is probably not for you.
It's really interesting to see 2 types of people:
1. Ones that absolutely don't understand how you could be upset from a short term "loss". Elon is in this camp.
2. Ones that do get upset. I was quite intrigued seeing his all-time supporter(bottom), who leaves positive responses to almost all his tweets bark back at him.
Screenshot_20181005-211358_Twitter.jpg

Seems like a problem that some people that claimed to be supporters get upset? Some who trade options also call themselves supporters, although that's not really investing.

- how do you feel about emergencies? Say, tommorrow you (or relative) get sick and you need to withdraw a lot to pay for the treatment. Well, you're long and have 10 years to get your money back, right? Not really, you need money today and you only get back 2/3. Well, you have 10m and have enough for 10 emergencies. Congratulations! You have a full right to not understand why somebody would get upset. I think 10 years life savings would fit into this category nicely and correlate to cancer treatment costs which may or may not be covered by insurance.

- how about you're long in tax sheltered account and your short term account is 1/3 short after the tweets? When you opened it, you thought the chance you would need this money is pretty low. But some smaller emergency did happen, so it's not 10 years you lost, but maybe 1.

Agree that all investment is risk yada yada, your own fault. Just saying that longs are not the only supporters. Tesla did not benefit from your long money(and my money specifically), unless you bought at IPO.
So, somebody who's not "long", but was recommending products to their friends, would be more valuable to Tesla.

It is possible that some of these recommenders are upset and it is possible that this is related to tweets. Longs are not the only ones Elon should be concerned about.

I disagree SEC is trying to solve any problem. They don't care some CEO is "out of control".

They charged him because some influential shorts / hedge fund managers complained to SEC. That is how stuff works on Wall St. Remember Wall St views EM as an outsider, not one of the club members.

Listen to Vox's podcast on EM. They said one of the very well known hedge fund managers (I guess) went and complained about EM to SEC after the tweet. I'll have to listen again to get the name.
There’s a good chance they are trying to do what’s best for Tesla investors but their input came from shorts complaints and media. Heck, even Gene Munster, ultra bull, suggested something similar. Not saying SEC or Munster were right.

I disagree SEC is trying to solve any problem. They don't care some CEO is "out of control".

They charged him because some influential shorts / hedge fund managers complained to SEC. That is how stuff works on Wall St. Remember Wall St views EM as an outsider, not one of the club members.

Listen to Vox's podcast on EM. They said one of the very well known hedge fund managers (I guess) went and complained about EM to SEC after the tweet. I'll have to listen again to get the name.
The SEC gets complaints all the time from a lot of people and hedge fund managers. That's not something new.

If we are to make the SEC the enemy, I think we're going down the wrong road. Blame them, accuse them, call them names, and fight against them. That game is going to be uglier than most anyone here can imagine.

Now, I don't agree with the SEC and I think they're overboard in this situation. But you've got to think outside the box. Listen to their press conference when they announced the charges against Elon. They are very articulate in expressing the problem they're solving is protecting the public and shareholders from an out-of-control CEO.

Say, tommorrow you (or relative) get sick and you need to withdraw a lot to pay for the treatment.
That's why you need insurance. Medicare For All can't come fast enough.

In any case, its beyond foolish to be playing with TSLA with that kind of (emergency) money. Put the emergency money in a CD ladder, not stocks.

The more I think about this, the more sure I become. IMO, Elon's slamming Tesla for a reason. Don't know if it's a buy-back, a squeeze strategy, or a go private part deux... doesn't matter. He's not that stupid to keep shooting his own feet while simultaneously hitting on all cylinders where it really matters. So he has a plan and none of us see it. I never was the religious type, I don't always need to fully understand things, but I sure as hell try to figure them out and this is what's most logical for me. Unfortunately, if you're not long or options trading, sorry wrong strategy. You don't save the world overnight.

Fact is, in the past month, I have not lost a single thing. I own exactly the same amount of Tesla (bit more) as compared to last month. Again, nothing has changed, "ignore the headlines." Common, no one else sees this? If I'm correct, I expect it to drop further. Maybe for 2 weeks if Saudi has anything to do with things. Buy what you can afford, all the way down. But sell, and you miss it all my friends in a flash.

Would love to hear what y'all think of some of my most recent thoughts on Elon vs SEC. Though I don't agree with the SEC going after Elon so harshly, I also don't agree with Elon attacking and blaming the SEC, the media and shortsellers. If he doesn't stop, there's a good chance that Elon won't be CEO for much longer... and that would be a very sad outcome.

Part 1: The Turning Tide - Why the SEC is going after Elon and why he’s losing many of his most ardent fans
I just read this. I actually started a series of blog posts that I hope Elon will be able to read somehow. I just posted Part 1. But I'll be working on Part 2 and 3 over the weekend. And after all the parts, I'll try to put them together into one long blog post.

I feel an urgency to help... cause things aren't pretty right now. And I think I know how all this can be fixed.

Thanks for doing this Dave. I was wondering what on earth happened to you...the Tesla community could really benefit from your contributions right about now. Part 1 made a lot of sense, looking forward to part 2&3, more so on your suggestions on how to fix this fiasco.

And he already broke it... You've clearly missed the last 24 hours of his tweets.... He's awesome... LOL

But seriously, if you haven't seen any of his tweet's over the last few years on every single thing he's "gonna do", just 2-4 weeks away, or the Semi....or the pick-up....or 10k production....or the China factory....or profitability...in 2013....or 2014....or 2015....or 2016....or 2017....or 2018....or any of the other bullshit he sells to people......you just haven't been paying attention...

I wish you luck, sir... I'm about off to bed...

sigh, another maladjusted troll.

yeah, you’re right, elon’s worthless. completely full of *sugar*. never accomplished a thing. it’s all just a dog and pony show.

whereas you, on the other hand...

Well, that 2+-year reservations list, that just got filled in about 4 months, is about to be done...
Think of it as traffic on Black Friday at Walmart, versus the traffic any typical Wednesday afternoon...
Congrats on getting through the Black Friday...
But now what? Demand for a $60k+ 4-door sedan just isn't that big of a market...
There's a ~reason~ the stock didn't go up after production numbers were announced.....
And sure, Elon's not helping......but.....it's more than just Elon...

Stock available to short is growing, so it's not like people are going wild with new shorting....
The large holders are becoming more and more concerned the growth story is whimpering out, and are selling...
Again, Elon's not helping, but, there's simply more supply of stock for sale, from people getting out of longs...

Not to even mention that the 2025 bonds are back down to their recent lows again....
At 85.367 as of Thursday... They'll be even a bit lower when Friday's quotes are posted...
Basically, bond traders are telling you they don't think those will be paid off at par 7-years from now...
There's a reason those bonds are called "junk" bonds...

Bond Factsheet - TSLA 5.300% 15Aug2025 Corp (USD) || bondsupermart

But, you go with all the things you mentioned...
Stock price on chart >>> lower on left - higher on right = Right-side up
Stock price on chart >>> higher on left - lower on right = Upside-down

So yes, guess I'm upside-down.... You're on to me... ;-)

Your zoomed into far there Smokey4141. It’s lower on the left higher on the right. That’s why we are called long investors. We are looking at the big picture. That’s why most people just ignore you and your ilk. You’re too busy looking at too narrow of a picture of reality. Long term, that’s how Elon thinks, and that’s why what he does excites me.

Just asking the question... If Q4 is gonna be the craziest quarter, you'd think more people would recognize that, and the price ~should~ go up in anticipation of that... But it's not...
So, just asking the question... Clearly, I'm missing something... Sorry to bug you tonight.. Take care..
Bob Lutz says bankwupsy any day now. So does Sméagol and firebird. I mean, who you going to believe some random people on the internet? Or Bob Lutz, c’mon?

He's not that stupid to keep shooting his own feet while simultaneously hitting on all cylinders where it really matters. So he has a plan and none of us see it.

I used to think the same. Not anymore. I now think he is a genius in many areas but just plain dumb in this. Maybe because he has been successful for so long, that for the things that he thinks strongly about 'pedo' and 'short', he has trouble controlling his emotion

If we are to make the SEC the enemy, I think we're going down the wrong road. Blame them, accuse them, call them names, and fight against them. That game is going to be uglier than most anyone here can imagine.
For better or worse, EM has started a fight with SEC. Yes, it was better to have not tweeted that infamous tweet without doing the homework (as I've argued many times here).

But now that we are here, it is not unreasonable to ask why SEC took this action - and has done nothing about shorts or their practices (or for that matter 2008). SEC is mostly missing in action - except suddenly in this one case ?

I think we need to get some of our reps (Senators/Congressmen) to look into this. Can you imagine this happening in any other country ?

Reactions: sundaymorning
So my IB Trading Workstation app window his an indicator in the share purchasing pane saying shares are "shortable". I didn't see way to clear that flag when purchasing shares.

Their online helps says that you can opt out of their "Share Yield" program in order to prevent your shares from being lent out, however the steps in the help page don't match what I see in the app... so perhaps it's an outdated help article. I haven't had time to call them.

My shares (50 in an IRA and 37 in brokerage acct) are all fully paid for, so I assume the sign-up agreement must default to allow lending...

that’s possible, but i’m not so sure.
you can check a statement to find out if you are earning interest income for stock yield enhancement plan.

if so, and you want to opt out, just write or call the help desk and ask to be removed from the program.

the problem is that it’s all or nothing. you can’t select which stocks you want (probably unless you’re a big wig, or you work for one of the securities you own and you’re not allowed to lend as a regulatory requirement)

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I'm not objective. I admit. I love Elon and I didn't doubt any second about him and I never will.

We want and love that Elon & his teams develop superior rockets, superior cars, energetic infrastructure, tomorrow satellites, AI hybrid devices...all to help humanity.
What drives Elon? Problems of humanity. He designed his products as solution to the problems of humanity which were no rocket program for mars, ICE cars that killing us, utility that killing us. He always pointed what is the problem and solving it, always.
Does he act different now? No! He just changed the area of his focus. The principle of changing bad thing for humanity is the same!

When he pointing abot SEC...do we think that with SEC is everything ok? I know that they are protecting bad guys who destroys good things. Is this good for humanity and also for themselves for longer term? I do not think so!

Shortes? They are earning money by problems in the companies. They are earning money where are also not problems in the companies. There are no difference for them between bad and good companies as they earn the money. Their motto: They will earn money even if the Earth is doomed tomorrow. They don't care. We are talking about Earth, our home, our lives.

Elon pointed all this. Some people want that his twitter will be quiet?! Not pointing any more what is bad in humanity? Why? Because they are afraid that SP will go down? The paradox is that all these good products are made on a base of problems! Without problems there will be no superior products. If you fogy problems you won't see the problem solving products!

Do we think that we can separate Elon from solving problems? Because that they want by silence on his twitter!
If we go back to the superior products and to implement them you hit to a lot of obstacles (bad things) which need to be changed: SEC, dealing network (legislation), press supported with money of affected power centers, shorters destroying everything...this is small revolution with a rapid change in the centres of power.

Shorters are showing us today that they have the power. Yes, they have. They don't want the change. But we are talking about Earth...us. We have to change if we want to survive. We just have to.

I identified that shorters (@FirebirdAlpha) are trying to attack demand for Tesla's car by linking negative press about Elon by saying that people will not by cars because of Elon. This try is doomed because people are not buying cars because of Elon any more but because of superiority of the car by any parameter. If there will be no Elon people would still buy Teslas.

The shorters power will clear some long lines. The remaining one will be true believers. Each day by falling SP our lines are more solid and probability for opposite trend is increasing. There are no negative facts! This is important. There is only tons of FUD which fogy the fact view. Good thing is that we reached breaking point of profit and Tesla is less depend on WallS. We all are pised when good news do not reflects SP. Next opportunity to change that is earnings report. I do not know if SP will increase having in mind that we have powerful enemy in front which represent all bad on Wall Street. We have to defeat him. Do not think that this will be easy.

Do we want a better world?

As my roots saying: We do not choose the enemy according to his power which stands in front of us, but according to the holiness behind us! We are in war and God save the longs!

I genuinely think Elon needs help. I can understand he felt he has been wronged. Most of us here felt the same. However that is not how he should react, which not only hurt us small investors, more importantly, it hurts the employees who are in the trench fighting along with him. It's not good for his own health either. Overall bad for his mission, which he cares a great deal.

On the other hand there would be no space x or Tesla if not for him. Afterall, there was only one single person who had a dream of landing rockets and achieved that. So no, kick him out is not the solution.

I hope the wise folks here would be able to reach out to some of his friends and form a supporting group for him.

That's why you need insurance. Medicare For All can't come fast enough.

In any case, its beyond foolish to be playing with TSLA with that kind of (emergency) money. Put the emergency money in a CD ladder, not stocks.
Long money is not specifically emergency money. You could hope that the risk of getting sick that way is 5% and your investments shouldn't stop completely b/c of such a small risk.
But thinking of this risk might make you upset when your investment goes down short term.

Also, insurance... I don't really know what's covered what's not until you face it. There could be some subscript that you missed. Hypothetically speaking, you could have relatives that are not your immediate family and are not covered. Yes, you should've bought private insurance for $2k/mo, but maybe you don't have the extra money right now and what's invested is tax sheltered and also not the best option to withdraw at a penalty and a loss.

I don't know why all other people get upset, I'm just speculating on some potential reasons.

In fact, the simplest explanation would be losing your job tomorrow & you don't have tons of other savings.

Last edited:
I'm not objective. I admit. I love Elon and I didn't doubt any second about him and I never will.

We want and love that Elon & his teams develop superior rockets, superior cars, energetic infrastructure, tomorrow satellites, AI hybrid devices...all to help humanity.
What drives Elon? Problems of humanity. He designed his products as solution to the problems of humanity which were no rocket program for mars, ICE cars that killing us, utility that killing us. He always pointed what is the problem and solving it, always.
Does he act different now? No! He just changed the area of his focus. The principle of changing bad thing for humanity is the same!

When he pointing abot SEC...do we think that with SEC is everything ok? I know that they are protecting bad guys who destroys good things. Is this good for humanity and also for themselves for longer term? I do not think so!

Shortes? They are earning money by problems in the companies. They are earning money where are also not problems in the companies. There are no difference for them between bad and good companies as they earn the money. Their motto: They will earn money even if the Earth is doomed tomorrow. They don't care. We are talking about Earth, our home, our lives.

Elon pointed all this. Some people want that his twitter will be quiet?! Not pointing any more what is bad in humanity? Why? Because they are afraid that SP will go down? The paradox is that all these good products are made on a base of problems! Without problems there will be no superior products. If you fogy problems you won't see the problem solving products!

Do we think that we can separate Elon from solving problems? Because that they want by silence on his twitter!
If we go back to the superior products and to implement them you hit to a lot of obstacles (bad things) which need to be changed: SEC, dealing network (legislation), press supported with money of affected power centers, shorters destroying everything...this is small revolution with a rapid change in the centres of power.

Shorters are showing us today that they have the power. Yes, they have. They don't want the change. But we are talking about Earth...us. We have to change if we want to survive. We just have to.

I identified that shorters (@FirebirdAlpha) are trying to attack demand for Tesla's car by linking negative press about Elon by saying that people will not by cars because of Elon. This try is doomed because people are not buying cars because of Elon any more but because of superiority of the car by any parameter. If there will be no Elon people would still buy Teslas.

The shorters power will clear some long lines. The remaining one will be true believers. Each day by falling SP our lines are more solid and probability for opposite trend is increasing. There are no negative facts! This is important. There is only tons of FUD which fogy the fact view. Good thing is that we reached breaking point of profit and Tesla is less depend on WallS. We all are pised when good news do not reflects SP. Next opportunity to change that is earnings report. I do not know if SP will increase having in mind that we have powerful enemy in front which represent all bad on Wall Street. We have to defeat him. Do not think that this will be easy.

Do we want a better world?

As my roots saying: We do not choose the enemy according to his power which stands in front of us, but according to the holiness behind us! We are in war and God save the longs!
I guess you stated the root of the problem. He doesn't understand how to pick a fight.

There are just too many problems in this world that even Elon Musk can't solve. And he should not try to tackle every single one of them his way.

Again I do think he needs help. I wish the wise folks here can come up with some action plan where we can find someone that he listens to.

• Disagree
Reactions: CorneliusXX
The more I think about this, the more sure I become. IMO, Elon's slamming Tesla for a reason. Don't know if it's a buy-back, a squeeze strategy, or a go private part deux... doesn't matter. He's not that stupid to keep shooting his own feet while simultaneously hitting on all cylinders where it really matters. So he has a plan and none of us see it. I never was the religious type, I don't always need to fully understand things, but I sure as hell try to figure them out and this is what's most logical for me. Unfortunately, if you're not long or options trading, sorry wrong strategy. You don't save the world overnight.

Fact is, in the past month, I have not lost a single thing. I own exactly the same amount of Tesla (bit more) as compared to last month. Again, nothing has changed, "ignore the headlines." Common, no one else sees this? If I'm correct, I expect it to drop further. Maybe for 2 weeks if Saudi has anything to do with things. Buy what you can afford, all the way down. But sell, and you miss it all my friends in a flash.
People are focusing on the wrong thing here... they don’t realize what Elon is doing. He’s pulling money from SpaceX shares and going private with the Saudi’s. They’re scooping up these half priced shares. Elon always has the last laugh. Honey badger don’t care.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mader Levap
Status
Not open for further replies.