Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What if some (I'm not claiming all) of Elon's actions provides fuel for the onslaught of negative media, and the complete absenteeism and ineptness of Tesla PR/Communications allows for the negativity to spread virally without a proper onslaught of positive media strategy coordinated by Tesla. In other words, if there's an onslaught of negativity, shouldn't Tesla respond to the task and coordinate an even bigger onslaught of positive media. Tesla PR/Communications have been absent from the battle. It's like they think they're doing PR as a normal corporate job or something. No, this is a huge propaganda war waging globally and across almost every single media outlet. Tesla is not no ordinary company needing ordinary PR. Tesla is a hugely controversial and impactful company, and Tesla is being bashed and crushed with propaganda... yet Tesla sits back like they're being righteous and turning the other cheek. Hmmm, no that's how you get killed in all this. If there's 1000 negative stories on major media outlets about Elon and Tesla in the past month, Tesla PR/Communications better be engaging in an aggressive and smart strategy to get 2000 positive stories circulated to counter. But that's completely absent, and people here are wondering what's going on. What's going on is craziness. Tesla is under attack, yet they are passive and just taking in the punches, like a boxer that can't punch back. I'm not saying direct attacks against the negative media. No. What I am saying is they need to be coordinating and seeding positive stories about Tesla, that far outnumber and outweighs the negative stories against it. This is the only way to win, in my opinion. And this is being ignored by most.

Here's my two cents. Folks should stop blaming shortsellers, the media, and the SEC.

And people need to be asking what Tesla can do to wake up out of their slumber and actually launch a positive media stories that far outweigh and outnumber the negative ones.

You can point the finger at enemies around you, but it's usually the problems within that lead to defeat. Pointing fingers at enemies is usually just an excuse.

In my opinion, folks are doing a disservice to Tesla by blaming external whoevers.

Tesla has all they need to fight back and to do so in a way to win this battle. They need to wake up, stop making excuses, and actually do the job that's required. And I'm not just talking about making cars and making profit. They also need to control the messaging around their company and products, as that's a very important part of the product itself.

I agree Tesla needs to fight back.

Is there no way to shine a light on the cockroaches (collusion between the press and the shorts)? Can Tesla hire P.I.’s?

This is just beautiful.

Do8-xBZVsAAnU1q.jpg:large

Do8-46NUcAI0Sbm.jpg:large

*images from twitter, not mine.

Last edited:

Total bull *sugar*. The five star system is a total sham and fails to account for the totality
of any issues with the Model 3.

We need to move to a 10 scale so the shorts can go crazy when the Model only hits 8.5 out of 10.

Until the Volvo gets a 5. ;)

The current system doesn’t reflect how well Tesla does and should be changed.

This is huge! Back when Sandy Munro criticized Tesla for having extra beams and stated he didn’t understand why they put it in when it doesn’t add to vehicle stability/saftey.. well, the verdict is in and it doesn’t get more official than this. I hope Tesla uses this in their marketing campaign and post up signs in every store. It goes to show this little company with a rocket scientist ceo understands something that Detroit and other legacy autos don’t, how to build the safest car in the world, how much is bodily saftey worth to you?

But S&P was already B- negative outlook before Moodys caught up to them with B3 negative outlook????

My concern is the credit rating that supports price along with the liquidity of the Company. The Cs would be a hyper ugly, hyper expensive problem yet will the Agencies ignore governance issues while the SEC drama plays out on twitter? Both Moody's and S&P paid their fines to the SEC, and this will be tough for them both to ignore. Let's hope the SEC debacle is resolved quickly. BTW curious if you have a price in mind that would concern you? Appreciate your perspective.

Moody's to pay $16.25 mln to settle SEC charges | Reuters
SEC.gov | SEC Announces Charges Against Standard & Poor’s for Fraudulent Ratings Misconduct

Could credit ratings be like certified residential real estate appraisals? Just as rating agencies in the mid-aughts were erring far too much on the high side, so were certified appraisers on residential properties. Having been involved with three residential transactions this year and seeing the appraisals of both the bought and sold properties, the pendulum has swung past half way in the other direction on residential appraisals.

Reactions: neroden
I agree Tesla needs to fight back.

Is there no way to shine a light on the cockroaches (collusion between the press and the shorts)? Can Tesla hire P.I.’s?

Trying to go after every source of negativity against Tesla is going to be an unending chase.

The way to fight back is to create more positive stories about your company than there are negative stories against your company. This is ultimately what I call taking control of the narrative surrounding your company, and what Tesla has failed miserably at. And it's what I aim to go into detail with my blog series, more specifically what Tesla needs to do practically to win the propaganda war.

Take some time to read the delivery threads here on TMC. I think you will understand where the change in perception is coming from... Then add in a healthy dose of shareholders complaining on Twitter and you have your answer.
The general public is unaware of the delivery issues, they have almost no bearing on public perception changing.

@DaveT,

Hmmm, well, here’s my feedback.

The “out of control CEO” is a farcical thesis at baseline given Tesla’s rapid development under Musk. If Musk is out of control, America dearly needs more out of control CEO’s.

You consider his internet persona proof? Seriously? All he has to do is pull out the sales numbers. Aren’t his ‘net frolics just more proof he is doing the number one job of a CEO: Moving product. Here’s the data: More tweets, more sales. And see, it’s obviously not about the stock price. “Clack” goes the gavel — case laughed out of court.

Elon makes Tesla cars a$$-kicking, rule-breaking, fun-fun-fun. The legacy car companies want to define EV’s as eat-your-granola, goody two shoes, PC and boring. Hmm, which kind of branding has historically actually sold lots of cars, especially American cars?

As for the SEC, try this thesis on for size. They’re just bureaucrats following their prime motive: CYA. They don’t like the reputation they received as protectors of the big financial players after the Great Recession. Clobbering Elon gives the impression to the public that they are doing something about rule-breakers, while simultaneously allowing them to protect the big financial players who, presumably, are dangerously on the hook for a lot of this short action.

If the SEC was actually interested in doing it’s job, they would go after the shortsellers they euphemistically call “investors.” Instead, the SEC is saying “Cave or you’ll get the chair for a minor *possibly* mistake you made while trying to protect Tesla and its shareholders (formerly synonymous with ‘investors’).” Having watched the short tactics for years now, the injustice here saddens me for our country.

No doubt Musk is under stress. People *are* out to get Tesla which is why they are desperate to oust him. As for me, I’ll stay long and stay in his corner because I know for sure he won’t compromise on what is best for the long term growth and success of Tesla.

BTW, here’s a hint about the madness of kings, (re-)read Clavell’s Shogun.

Sec lawyers eventually get hired by hedge funds as compliance officers,
That’s what motivates them

The general public is unaware of the delivery issues, they have almost no bearing on public perception changing.
If that is true are you laying all of the blame for a change in perception on Elon?

You have comments of newspaper stories out there on people who have paid for cars weeks ago and still have no cars. Do you really think all of these people getting 2, 3, and 4 cancelations are keeping their frustrations to themselves? We all know good news travels at the speed of sound; bad news travels at the speed of light. ;)

Trying to go after every source of negativity against Tesla is going to be an unending chase.

The way to fight back is to create more positive stories about your company than there are negative stories against your company. This is ultimately what I call taking control of the narrative surrounding your company, and what Tesla has failed miserably at. And it's what I aim to go into detail with my blog series, more specifically what Tesla needs to do practically to win the propaganda war.

Speaking of which....
Model 3 achieves the lowest probability of injury of any vehicle ever tested by NHTSA
Lets spread the news!

Status
Not open for further replies.