Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSportline vs Tire Shop Special Wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When our MYP is due for tires, I'm going to be downgrading the wheels with some 19" wheels that way I can at least rotate them, and get a little more life out of the rubber.

I've been browsing the forum and reading feedback everyone has posted about downgrading to 19" wheels, thanks to everyone who posted, it's been a huge help.

The question that I have, for those with a MYP that downgraded, and went with a "cheaper" alternative vs a brand name wheel - Is any real value of spending another $1000 on TSportline set of wheels, for example TSV's vs going with a cheaper alternative like Drag Dr-83?

On a side note - When I add the Drag wheels to the cart on discount tire's web site, it automatically adds a set of "Gorilla Hub Centric Ring $6.00$6.00GOR 74-64.15 BLACK". At first I thought it was some sort of a spacer, which I'd like to avoid having. But it looks like it's just a piece of plastic to help center the wheel.

Reactions: Noflash
For what it's worth I added it to a wheel size calculator - Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets

Unless I'm missing something, 8.5" wide wheel with a 30 offset vs 9.5" wide wheel wide wheel with a 35 offset seems about the same in measurements? Both should stick out about the same?

I went down a rabbit hole..... Looking at the wheel comparison, the discount tire wheels has zero scrub radius, while the tsportline wheel has negative scrub radius. Here's the scrub radius info I found. The wife uses this cary primarily to run to daycare and kroger, scrub radius seems like a big deal if you're doing track days(which I'm 99.9999% sure the wife won't be doing...) But I am wondering if there is going to be a noticeable difference when breaking, going into a corner a little too fast, etc.

Last edited:
Going deeper into the rabbit hole, here's a comparison of the Drag Dr-83(19x8.5 30 Offset) vs a Tesla Gemini(19x9.5 45 Offset) wheel:

Here's a comparison of the TSportline(19x9.5 35 Offset) vs a Tesla Gemini(19x9.5 45 Offset) wheel:

Going to send TSportline an e-mail and see what they say about the offset.

E-mail sent.

Hello,

I've got a very nerdy question. I'm looking at replacing the 2023 Model Y Performance wheels on my car. I hate not being able to rotate the tires, and I'm not really looking forward to replacing $1000 rear tires every 15k miles. So I was looking at the budget option, of just going with the 19" TSVs you sell.

The car is primarily used by my wife to drop the kid off at daycare and run errands, as far as I know, she's not doing any track days, so the $1000 rear tires are probably a bit overkill for the for the usual run to Kroger.

I'm comparing the TSVs to Tesla Gemini wheels on Wheel-Size.com (link at the very bottom) - The one thing that caught my attention is the scrub radius. On Tesla Gemini wheels the scrub radius is sort of negative(it's even more negative on the 21" Uberturbines in the back), on the TSVs there is zero scrub radius. Can you help me understand what the benefits of zero scrub radius on the TSVs are, and what my benefits are of spending $2000 on TSVs vs getting a used set of Geminis or going with cheaper brand and a smaller in width wheel like Drag Dr-83?

Thank you,

Sebastian

Tesla Gemini to TSVs - Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets

TSVs to Drag Dr-83s - Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets

Last edited:
I was looking at the TSV but for the price it didn’t make sense. I ended up going with 19” Replika r263 which is basically a satin black uberturbine replica. I got them with the same specs as the OEM Gemini wheels. It’s the same company that makes fast wheels which I see a lot of people putting on their teslas and also another model of the replikas are frequently put on as a replacement.

Reactions: ArizonaFish
I was looking at the TSV but for the price it didn’t make sense. I ended up going with 19” Replika r263 which is basically a satin black uberturbine replica. I got them with the same specs as the OEM Gemini wheels. It’s the same company that makes fast wheels which I see a lot of people putting on their teslas and also another model of the replikas are frequently put on as a replacement.
I glanced at those too. How do you like them? What tires did you go with? Any noticeable difference in cabin noise, or how the car handles?

It’s crossed my mind to just go get 20” wheels from tesla directly.
Getting takeoffs or used wheels on good shape is one option. I have the tsportline TSS 19s and the OE Continental Pro Contact RX tires. Only thing that's different is the offset of the tsportlines is +35 vs OE 19s are +45. Tsportlines are supposed to be designed specifically for Tesla.

Well I can only speak for the tsportlines that I have. Generally there will be some impact to range but that's mainly due to the tires. A LRR all season tire like the Continental Pro Contact RX in 19" will provide better fuel economy than a wider summer performance tire. For example the stock Tesla tires there is a penalty for the larger wider 21" wheel and tire combo. Even more so if they are summer performance tires vs A/S.

Many of the aftermarket forged wheels are lighter than the OE wheels. For example the OE 19" Gemini are just under 30 lbs each without tires. The Tsportline TSS are I believe 26 lbs each without the tire. This lowers the unsprung weight of the vehicle.

Lastly the Tsportline TSS have an offset of +35 (Gemini are +45) so they take the offset negative my 10mm compared to OE. The wheels sit further out from the car slightly. This changes things just slightly. Look up offset and scrub radius or how offset affect the vehicle. There are some slight variations. The idea of going with a trusted vendor who designed the wheels for a Tesla is that you know they were tested. The 10mm difference is small and the average driver will not notice any difference other then the wheel fills out the wheel well a little better.

Making larger changes to offset can change the handling of the vehicle significantly and put more wear on the suspension components as well as bearings.

Reactions: ArizonaFish