Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two week old Powerwall Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Er…what model Enphase inverter do you have? Newer ones should be UL 1741 SA certified which if you have a US profile applied means they're already configured correctly. If you have an older or misconfigured one perhaps that makes sense? UL 1741 SA certification means high frequency ride through is defined between 60.5hz-61.9hz for 300s and high frequency must trip is 62.0hz for 0.16s. https://aeesolar.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/UL-1741-Supplement-A_Webinar.pdf. Personally I've had Enphase apply the PREPA 83%/hz (Puerto Rico) which will start to curtail solar production at 60.2hz in an off grid scenario.

Thank you for this information. Sorry for the slow response. I Was battling irrigation issues.

I have theIQ 6 Plus 72-2 US inverter. It’s provisioned with the IEEE 1547 (2015) Grid Profile. The Envoy is running software version D5.0.34. June 25-19 build. It’s NEC 2014 and 2017 and CA Rule 21 compliant UL 1741-SA.

The inverters have an extended response range of 47 - 68HZ.

Do I understand correctly, that the Ride Through and Trip Frequency are applied by the Provisioning of the Grid Profile, which in my case is IEEE 1547 (2015 version)? A 2018 update exits, but has not been applied to my setup. This standard has 3 classes. IEEE doesn’t want to show me what the trip points are because the profit from selling the documentation?

Beyond this, there are also Powerwall settings that need to be adjusted, to solve the UPS and Microwave Oven not working.

I really appreciate your help in educating me in this area. It’s frustrating because I’m blocked from these settings in the equipment. Attaining the optimum configuration involves me cajoling Enphase and Tesla to make the changes, but this is the blind leading the blind.

Thanks again for your efforts to provide illumination.

Would you advise I also ask the the Puerto Rico profile, even though I live in FL? Would they even do that?

Thank you for this information. Sorry for the slow response. I Was battling irrigation issues.

I have theIQ 6 Plus 72-2 US inverter. It’s provisioned with the IEEE 1547 (2015) Grid Profile. The Envoy is running software version D5.0.34. June 25-19 build. It’s NEC 2014 and 2017 and CA Rule 21 compliant UL 1741-SA.

The inverters have an extended response range of 47 - 68HZ.

Do I understand correctly, that the Ride Through and Trip Frequency are applied by the Provisioning of the Grid Profile, which in my case is IEEE 1547 (2015 version)? A 2018 update exits, but has not been applied to my setup. This standard has 3 classes. IEEE doesn’t want to show me what the trip points are because the profit from selling the documentation?

Beyond this, there are also Powerwall settings that need to be adjusted, to solve the UPS and Microwave Oven not working.

I really appreciate your help in educating me in this area. It’s frustrating because I’m blocked from these settings in the equipment. Attaining the optimum configuration involves me cajoling Enphase and Tesla to make the changes, but this is the blind leading the blind.

Thanks again for your efforts to provide illumination.

Would you advise I also ask the the Puerto Rico profile, even though I live in FL? Would they even do that?

Personally I applied the PR profile because it has configurations for ramping down solar production in proportion to the frequency. This is helpful during grid outage scenarios so that the solar doesn't see-saw on and off as the Powerwall charges and discharges. Otherwise there is no impact to my production. It's an exercise to the reader what profile is best for your situation.

Since your equipment is already 1741-SA compliant and you have the IEEE 1547 grid profile applied in the US I don't see why Tesla is pushing back. I would just call the and escalate to someone who understands that you have a modern, IEEE 1547 and 1741-SA compliant system and to make the change to your Powerwall.

Personally I applied the PR profile because it has configurations for ramping down solar production in proportion to the frequency. This is helpful during grid outage scenarios so that the solar doesn't see-saw on and off as the Powerwall charges and discharges. Otherwise there is no impact to my production. It's an exercise to the reader what profile is best for your situation.

Since your equipment is already 1741-SA compliant and you have the IEEE 1547 grid profile applied in the US I don't see why Tesla is pushing back. I would just call the and escalate to someone who understands that you have a modern, IEEE 1547 and 1741-SA compliant system and to make the change to your Powerwall.

Thanks so much. How / where do I learn about all the different power grid profiles?

Depending on how your access is set up you may be able to log in to your Enlighten and see the settings yourself. Otherwise you have to ask Enphase to provide or hunt around on the internet to find them. Attached is the PREPA profile I'm using.

Attachments

• enphase sample powerwall grid profile.pdf
    94.9 KB · Views: 106
Great, I am finalizing a 12 panels/SMA sunnyboy 5.0 setup for my house and would like to be ready for Powerwall2s. Any chance someone would share their electrical diagram so I see how best setup my subpanel for future Powerwall2s? Thank you!!
ps: Final plan is 2 roofs with each 12 panels/SMA and 3 PW2s
pps: would like to have the connections ready for PW2s and avoid panel upgrades ...

Physically what I would recommend is what you see in a lot of photos of Powerwalls. That would be the use of wire management gutters so that the wiring can be adapted to the physical placement of the parts. Gutters at top and bottom of sub panels also allow flexibility to swing circuits from critical loads panel to non essential loads panel as your needs change.

The two biggest parts of a Powerwall installation are the gateway and the PowerWall itself.