Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Typical / Rated Miles setting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
My car has gone into Tesla for some snagging issues to be sorted and during this time I have been loaned a Model S 100D. The range on this car is great and I noted that if I travel for 50 miles that the range would also go down by 50 miles, or maybe even a fraction less, not by around 65 miles like in my M3P. I believe with the bigger battery in this car I can get a genuine 300 miles range - as suggested by the range.
Having a look through the settings I noted that there is the possibility to select rated or typical range from the menus. Typical range has been selected and seems very accurate.
I know that the energy app can give a figure based on my driving for the last 5/15/30 miles. The figure seems to change often and recalculates very quickly, perhaps too sensitively for use as a typical range figure. It is helpful and has it’s place, but overlays the map, which isn’t ideal.
What I would like to know is, does anyone know why we don’t have this option of typical range for the Model 3?
Thank you.

The "Guess O'meter" is just that, a guess as to what the range might, or might not, be. It's well-known to be pretty inaccurate and has to be, as the car has no way of knowing what the weather's going to do, how the driver's style will change or what sort of terrain the car will have to drive over in the hours ahead. If it happens to be right once, then that's probably a complete fluke. I find it's a great deal more useful to switch the display to "fuel tank mode" and have it read out in %.

FWIW, the "guess O'meter" in all the cars I've owned that have had one has been just as wildly inaccurate as the one in the Tesla, for the same reasons, that the car doesn't have a magic ball that tells it how conditions are going to vary in the minutes and hours ahead. It doesn't even know if you might choose to turn the heating or aircon on at some future time, for example, so all it can do is assume that all future journeys will be like past ones, and guess the range on that basis.

The "Guess O'meter" is just that, a guess as to what the range might, or might not, be. It's well-known to be pretty inaccurate and has to be, as the car has no way of knowing what the weather's going to do, how the driver's style will change or what sort of terrain the car will have to drive over in the hours ahead. If it happens to be right once, then that's probably a complete fluke. I find it's a great deal more useful to switch the display to "fuel tank mode" and have it read out in %.

FWIW, the "guess O'meter" in all the cars I've owned that have had one has been just as wildly inaccurate as the one in the Tesla, for the same reasons, that the car doesn't have a magic ball that tells it how conditions are going to vary in the minutes and hours ahead. It doesn't even know if you might choose to turn the heating or aircon on at some future time, for example, so all it can do is assume that all future journeys will be like past ones, and guess the range on that basis.
Thanks for the reply. I get all the possible variables. However, it doesn’t account for the fact that the typical range setting on the Model S does provide a great deal of accuracy even allowing for the variables you correctly state above. Thus my question why don’t we have this setting on the model 3?

It was probably just luck that the Model S Guess O'meter happened to throw its runes in the right order so as to give a meaningful answer, I think. There's no way that any device on any car can predict what the energy consumption is going to be over the next hours or days with any accuracy, as there's no way to get the data needed. A stopped clock is right twice a day, for example.

For example, I could get in my car, and instead of driving sedately for an hour, I could go hoofing it around like a nutter. The car cannot know that I'm going to do that, so when I get in it's going to give a range remaining prediction that'll be miles off. The same goes for the weather. We all know that cold, wet weather tends to hit range, yet the car cannot know that in advance, so it will predict a range remaining based on how the car has been driven for the past few hours or days. If it so happens that there's been a spell of warm, dry weather, the range estimate will be a long way out if it then turns cold and wet.

The Guess O'meter takes a guess, on the assumption that the pattern of driving it's logged for some time previously is going to be the pattern of driving that's going to continue for the remainder of the charge left in the battery. Sometimes this guess might be near enough right, sometimes it will be very wrong, most of the time it will be wrong to some extent, perhaps not enough to worry about..