Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to add a keyfob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else had any issues where they're unable to add one of the Model 3 keyfobs to their car?

I ordered one and it came a few weeks ago, but was so busy lately, I hadn't researched it much.

My car has the latest firmware (2018.48.12.1) so it is supported. Some Googling, I saw that it does happen where the two batteries they include are dead, however I've tried 5 different batteries with no luck (2 that came with it, 2 in a package I already had, and 1 in a brand new package I bought).

My only remaining assumption is that the keyfob is simply DOA, unless anyone else knows of anything. I have a service appointment in 2 weeks for something else, and may just try and ask while I'm there.

I remember reading in the manual that you could have a pairing issue if it is cold where you are... let me see if I can find it...

Edit: Found the reference... it says:

================

Note: Key fob pairing should be performed
when the key fob is at room temperature.
Pairing may be unsuccessful if the key fob is
cold

================

Not sure if that helps you at all... is it very cold where you are?

Sorry, I guess I stated it far too plainly.

When I place the new fob, with battery installed, behind the cupholders like it asks, same areas as the keycards, it doesn't recognize them. It doesn't do anything. No error message, nothing happens.

So default assumption was batteries, but after trying 5 different batteries, it is still the same. As far as I can tell, the keyfob has no LEDs, so I can't really confirm whether it is working or not.

Yes, I had tried removing one just to experiment with adding it back. It got stuck and the remove dialog didn't go away until I restarted the MCU.

Looks like we both have the same issue. Service will fix it but they'll probably need to do it manually. I wonder what the underlying bug is, wonder if they will report it since there are now two separate cases of this happening.