Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Unable to Drive" Remove charge cable ERROR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone anyone with a pre-2017 Tesla model S have the problem of NOT BEING ABLE TO SHIFT OUT OF PARK because the car thinks the power charging cable is connected to the car? I walked into my garage and before I could get close to the car I heard my UNCONNECTED Model S clicking as though the charge door was opening and closing. The key fob was in the car's cub holder.

I've had the car not allow me to shift out of PARK in the middle of an intersection, coming off an expressway ramp or just from a parking spot.

What's going on? HELP!!!!!

TRod
In Chicago

Attachments

• 20200809_113504.jpg
    20200809_113504.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 675
I've had the car not allow me to shift out of PARK in the middle of an intersection, coming off an expressway ramp or just from a parking spot.

Ok, I am probably stupidly missing something here, but why are you parking in the middle of an intersection?
I've never had the problem of not being out to shift into drive, and hope that doesn't happen. I'll be interested in knowing what is the problem.

Reactions: Fazooley
Ha Ha and another Ha. I didn't put it in park. It put itself in park when I had it in drive. It did it again today while waiting in a burger king drive through.

I did see a post from "EVie'sDad saying they had the problem after a car wash. They say the charging port had moisture on the door contact plate ( i'll have to find that ) and they toweled it off and it allowed them to put it in drive. "HectorGB72" says they had a similar issue. In the Meantime, Tesla service plans to charge me big bucks to fix it tomorrow. Do they already know they have a problem with this? Should this be a recall fix?
20200812_192224.jpg

Could it be that the seat thought you were not in it anymore? If you lift up while going slow enough and the seat sensor thinks you got up it will shift into park automatically.

Not sure about the charging port issues as I haven't experienced that problem in my S

Hey guys, and ladies
My issue has been resolved. My charge port was replaced by a different Tesla service location. Funny thing is that they charged me $1500 LESS than the first Tesla service location. The first service location also doubled charged me with a diagnostic fee. How can I lodge a complaint to Tesla Corp about this?

Hey guys, and ladies
My issue has been resolved. My charge port was replaced by a different Tesla service location. Funny thing is that they charged me $1500 LESS than the first Tesla service location. The first service location also doubled charged me with a diagnostic fee. How can I lodge a complaint to Tesla Corp about this?

Tweet @Elon. Best chances for results tbh

Good evening all, I’m revisiting this topic as I have a 2016 Model S 75 that started having this problem. After having the car towed over an hour away, the service center said the error had cleared and thought it was the charge port, so I agreed to have them swap it out. Fast forward one week and the car got the same error today. Thankfully after a couple of reboots and a manual release cycle of the charge port, the error cleared and I was able to drive the car home, where it charged like normal and will drive without error now. After speaking to the service center again, they are stating the car will need a new charger. However, the car has never failed to charge and charge at the full 48 amps at home without error. Any thoughts before we invest $2k in a charger? As it appears the service center is guessing.