Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

unfair supercharger idling charga

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slightly off topic, but will an L2 charge station charge a M3LR from 90 to 100% as quickly as a supercharger?
Also, can other really charge to 100%? My first day having my 3D, I could only get 99%, and have never needed to try to charge above 95% since.

Slightly off topic, but will an L2 charge station charge a M3LR from 90 to 100% as quickly as a supercharger?
Also, can other really charge to 100%? My first day having my 3D, I could only get 99%, and have never needed to try to charge above 95% since.
If I charge to 100% it will say 100% but the next morning will say 99%... I usually only charge to 100% when I need to and only about 2 hours before I travel.

A supercharger will be able to bring it from 90 - 100% a little more quickly than an L2 charger. I've had mixed experiences... for example with my wall connector the car will greatly throttle the charge rate in this range. A ChargePoint charger at work, although it provides less power than my wall connector, doesn't seem to throttle as much from 90 - 100%. A supercharger will do this faster, but it's still painful to go from 90 to 100.

Probably more than 90%. It also depends a bit on how much power the L2 provides—public chargers provide somewhat varying power levels and usually won’t supply the 11.5kW that your car’s AC charger can accept. But yes, at some point the supercharger taper drops the power to the level of an L2. And, AC charging will also taper near full SOC, so at some point supercharging and AC charging are exactly the same.

While eating lunch today I charged to 98-99% at the Las Vegas South supercharger. stall 5A. Supercharger is totally occupied plus a couple cars waiting. Stopped charging using the IOS phone app. Charge indicator goes white. While pulling the plug, the indicator goes red & the plug is locked in the charge port. No amount of physical or electronic finagling will release it. Support line puts me on hold. Just so happens I have the direct cell # for a local ranger.

My first encounter with idle fees was when I was targeting 90% in Springfield VA as #11 of 18 slots. I was notified by app that charging was interrupted at 80% and that idle fees would result after 5 minutes. By the time I got there, I was down to #7 of 18, so it let me restart charging and then go up to 98% while finishing lunch.

But! It sounds like Tesla is starting to get a bit tougher by setting a limit for you if you use too high a limit. Perhaps this is only on busy stations, with plentiful chargers within an 80% range. Does anyone know where this is laid out by Telsa?

• Informative
Reactions: davedavedave
Idk, 95% is pretty much full and getting that last 5% charge takes at least 15 minutes which isn't very efficient. If the last 5% is really a deal breaker to get to the next charger, then just go 5 mph slower as the overall time is basically the same and yet you don't take up a supercharger for longer than necessary.

Also do you have an example of two superchargers that are like 250 miles apart? I don't think i've ever seen that, normally its like 150 or 200 at most.

Depends upon the car too. You guys with the ultra-swank LR are in good shape. My SR, not +, only has 212 miles at 100%, which can be pushing it to next supercharger even today.

That's tempered by the car itself knows that my battery is actually only at 90% when I hit 100% on the display, since it's software locked. That means charging doesn't slow down near the end, and also I still have full regen at 100%. So it's not uncommon for me to want to hit 100% whenever traveling.