Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UP’s new CF spoiler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the tip. How’s the spoiler holding up so far after a week?

No issues with the mounting. That sucker is on there for good.. I pity my future-self in the event that I ever get the car wrapped and have to try and remove it! I suggest that if you try to install it yourself that you do the following, as you only have 1 shot.

1.) Clean the crap out of the deck-lid with dawn or some other grease-removing cleaner to eliminate any wax or polish residue.

2.) 'Dry-fit' the spoiler (without tape) EXACTLY how you want it, and then use a few pieces of masking tape to hold it down in place.

3.) While in place, use some more masking tape to 'outline' the spoiler, so when you remove it, you have a very Cleary defined placement.

4.) Remove the spoiler, and use alcohol to get any of the mold residue and oils from the bottom, prior to applying the tape.

5.) Apply the tape in two long pieces (one piece on the each side of the leading edges)

6.) Once the tape is applied, I also run a hairdryer or heat-gun over the tape for a few seconds to help with adhesion.

7.) Peel approx. 1" of the tapes liner to expose the adhesive. Do NOT expose all of the tape prior to laying the spoiler in place.

8.) Using the masking tape guides you made earlier, place the spoiler carefully, and use a measuring tape against a reference (say, the end of the deck-lid in either direction) to ensure that your alignment is equal on both sides

9.) Once aligned, keep downward pressure on the spoiler while peeling the little 'tab' you made on the adhesive. This will keep the spoiler in place while you expose the adhesive

10.) Repeat on the second strip of adhesive. Now your spoiler is installed!

Lastly, I would recommend using a few additional pieces of masking tape to 'hold' the spoiler down overnight (mainly the two ends) as they have a tendency to want to 'pop up' until the adhesive has taken full-bite. You can then remove all of the masking tape from the guides, etc. and wipe the area clean.

I know this may seem over-complicated, but I've had experiences when it didn't turn out quite as well as I had hoped. Sure, it's a pretty simply job, but it's one of those things you should measure 3x and cut once - if you know what I mean. Patience and prepping is key. Nothing will irritate you more than having to look at a slightly mis-aligned spoiler for the rest of the cars life. ;)

Hope this helps.

I've gone ahead and cQuartz'd it as well just to preserve the finish, as I've had even really high end carbon from AMG, Brabus and others begin to yellow over time from UV exposure.

Did anyone else end up pre-ordering the UP spoiler?

I ordered mine in early September, and they said it'd ship in 6-7 weeks (after 3 days of trying to reach them because they issued me an invalid order number, but still took my money). I contacted them by email this week, and I've gotten 5 days of radio silence. Will probably issue a chargeback next week, and might go for something like what maglianera posted.

Just wondering if anyone else has had to deal with the same kind of shadiness from these guys.

“Based on this model, we estimate that utilizing the front lip, rear wing, and lowering springs will produce 43 miles of additional range (13.33%) at a steady speed of 70 miles per hour, on top of the Model 3’s expected efficiency.
Tesla tuner develops Model 3 mods to improve drag, efficiency, and range

Any real testing like Bjoern Nyland would perfom?

What about testing only the rear wing?