Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading EU LED headlights to US spec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 MS 100D, and ss many have said, the LED headlamps on the EU spec Tesla are pretty poor. My dealer tells me it's related to an EU restriction on how bright they can be without headlamp washers; a disappointing omission in my view.

Can the full power be enabled to bring them in line with US spec cars, or does hardware have to be changed?

Cheers

I am also wondering about this...

Also, is there a way I can raise the lights my self, so they give more light further in front of the car? I experience the lights pointing too much down towards the ground...
My old Audi had a function where I could adjust the “beam”, lowering or raising it...

I am also wondering about this...

Also, is there a way I can raise the lights my self, so they give more light further in front of the car? I experience the lights pointing too much down towards the ground...
My old Audi had a function where I could adjust the “beam”, lowering or raising it...

You sure can, see this thread: Poor LED Performance - 1 Solution
You can also ask your SC to do it - that's what I did after lowering the car, they charged one hour of work.

As I understand it, North American Teslas have 35W D3S bulbs and ballasts, whereas European models have 25W D3S bulbs and ballasts. I think the EU bulb fitting needs slight modification for a 35W bulb to be fitted and the ballasts have to be replaced with the 35W type. I think there are some third party kits for this sort of modification. However, none of these modifications are road legal in EU/EEA. 35W HIDs are allowed in EU/EEA if the headlights have automatic self levelling and are factory fitted. Cars without automatic self levelling headlights have the 25W limit.

As I understand it, North American Teslas have 35W D3S bulbs and ballasts, whereas European models have 25W D3S bulbs and ballasts. I think the EU bulb fitting needs slight modification for a 35W bulb to be fitted and the ballasts have to be replaced with the 35W type. I think there are some third party kits for this sort of modification. However, none of these modifications are road legal in EU/EEA. 35W HIDs are allowed in EU/EEA if the headlights have automatic self levelling and are factory fitted. Cars without automatic self levelling headlights have the 25W limit.

I guess you're referring to HID rather than LED headlamps here?

Yes - and you had asked about LED lights - sorry, I missed the point. However, the same European rules apply, in respect of limiting the output of headlights which don't have self-levelling and headlight washers. I imagine that upgrading LED headlights might not be as easy as with the HIDs.

I've been told by Audi, that cars with pneumatic suspension don't have the self levelling headlights as the car levells as a whole automatically ommiting the need for self levelling headlights.

• Informative
Reactions: .jg.
I've been told by Audi, that cars with pneumatic suspension don't have the self levelling headlights as the car levells as a whole automatically ommiting the need for self levelling headlights.
That's interesting. Perhaps retrofitted headlight washers would make upgraded headlights road legal. It might not be so difficult to tap into the windscreen washer pipes and add a couple of washer jets somewhere near the headlights.