TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

USA EV Tax Credit Question

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by salant76, Sep 23, 2020.

1. salant76

salant76 New Member

I figured a Tesla forum would be a good place to ask this question since many of you have owned multiple EVs over the last 5-10 years.

Does anyone know if the $7500 tax credit you get for some EVs (my current car is a VW eGolf which I got in Feb on this year) is a one time deal?

Or if I purchase a new EV next year or the following that still qualifies for a tax credit I still can get that tax credit as well?

Thank you.

Scott

2. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

The tax credit is based on and decreases with quantity sold milestones. It does not apply to models. It applies to the total number of EVs/hybrids, regardless of model, that the manufacturer has sold. How many EV/hybrids has VW sold?

3. jeremymc7

jeremymc7 Member

Consult the IRS guidelines or your accountant. I believe you can claim more than one, but only one per year. Cars would need to be purchased on different years and used for their respective tax return. Likewise the Tesla's credits are long gone for everyone now. I got one of the last ones before it went away.

4. salant76

salant76 New Member

VW still qualifies for the full $7500. The question is if I upgrade the car in 2021 or 2022 with a car company that still qualifies for a tax credit. Can I still get a tax credit for the new car or once I personally buy one BEV I no longer qualify for an addtional tax credit.

The state rebate which I have done all ready for my eGolf is more clear on the terms with buying new cars.

Thank you.

Scott

5. jeremymc7

jeremymc7 Member

6. jeremymc7

jeremymc7 Member

• Like x 1
  7. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Nope. I bought two Tesla Model S in 2013. I was first owner for both, so I got to take two $7500 tax credits.

8. jeremymc7

jeremymc7 Member

Said I wasn't sure. Link from prior message has the specifics confirming as you said re multiple credits, assuming someone has enough liability.

9. salant76

salant76 New Member

Thank you.

When I did a search on TMC forum first got a lot of results so figured it was easier to ask.

10. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Yep, and tax credit carries over to next tax year if not all used in first.

11. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

No it does not carry over. If you don't have enough tax liability to use it all this year, you forfeit the extra. There are things you can do to increase your taxes to be able to claim the whole credit, but you are NOT ALLOWED to carry it over to the next tax year.