Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USA EV Tax Credit Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figured a Tesla forum would be a good place to ask this question since many of you have owned multiple EVs over the last 5-10 years.

Does anyone know if the $7500 tax credit you get for some EVs (my current car is a VW eGolf which I got in Feb on this year) is a one time deal?

Or if I purchase a new EV next year or the following that still qualifies for a tax credit I still can get that tax credit as well?

Thank you.

Scott

The tax credit is based on and decreases with quantity sold milestones. It does not apply to models. It applies to the total number of EVs/hybrids, regardless of model, that the manufacturer has sold. How many EV/hybrids has VW sold?

Consult the IRS guidelines or your accountant. I believe you can claim more than one, but only one per year. Cars would need to be purchased on different years and used for their respective tax return. Likewise the Tesla's credits are long gone for everyone now. I got one of the last ones before it went away.

VW still qualifies for the full $7500. The question is if I upgrade the car in 2021 or 2022 with a car company that still qualifies for a tax credit. Can I still get a tax credit for the new car or once I personally buy one BEV I no longer qualify for an addtional tax credit.

The state rebate which I have done all ready for my eGolf is more clear on the terms with buying new cars.

Thank you.

Scott

Consult the IRS guidelines or your accountant. I believe you can claim more than one, but only one per year. Cars would need to be purchased on different years and used for their respective tax return. Likewise the Tesla's credits are long gone for everyone now. I got one of the last ones before it went away.
Nope. I bought two Tesla Model S in 2013. I was first owner for both, so I got to take two $7500 tax credits.