Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2021 M3 or new 2023 M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, long time reader of this forum and appreciate all the insight and advice over the years. Unfortunately my beloved 2017 Model S was totaled (was hit while parked unoccupied right in front of my home, the driver was not injured), and since I am not commuting much now I am thinking of going with a Model 3. I am considering either a 2021 with about 20k miles since it is the refresh year, but looking at the 2023 inventory the new Model 3s are basically the same price after the 7,500 tax credit.

So I am wondering thoughts on the used 2021 vs. the new 2023 for roughly the same price? I will probably only need a rear wheel standard range model given limited daily driving right now, likely would get the 19 inch rims though to make it a bit more sporty (and then powder coat them black). The biggest issue actually seems to be the removal of the USS and the lack of parking sensors indefinitely on the 2023, and those are pretty important especially given I now intend to park more often in a tight fitting garage.

Any other considerations I might be missing, improvements from the 2021 to the 2023 I might not be aware of?

Appreciate any thoughts, thank you in advance.

The main reason is the lack of the USS and any clarity when the parking sensors will return (if ever).
and you think thats REALLY worth a loss of a couple of years of warranty over? I did not purchase EAP for my vehicle - thus - I don't have to worry about summon - and since I am coming from 50 years of driving 'normal cars' I still look to the sides and mirrors before I change lanes. . . .

Reactions: Snowdoody
Thanks ZenRockGarden, I guess that is what I was getting at, what the other improvements are from the 2021 to the 2023 M3? If anything the 0-60 time is actually listed a half a second slower on the 2023 M3 RWD than the 2021 M3 RWD.

I did not have any issues with my 2017 MS and was at almost 75k miles so was less concerned about the warranty, but you are correct having that for an additional 2 years might be a huge advantage, even for resale purposes.

My only concern with lack of USS was parking sensors, in particular given some other drivers in my household who are used to having it and us having a very tight garage, I didn't realize there was an easy after market solution that would integrate with the Tesla, I will look into that as well.

Thanks ZenRockGarden, I guess that is what I was getting at, what the other improvements are from the 2021 to the 2023 M3? If anything the 0-60 time is actually listed a half a second slower on the 2023 M3 RWD than the 2021 M3 RWD.

I did not have any issues with my 2017 MS and was at almost 75k miles so was less concerned about the warranty, but you are correct having that for an additional 2 years might be a huge advantage, even for resale purposes.

My only concern with lack of USS was parking sensors, in particular given some other drivers in my household who are used to having it and us having a very tight garage, I didn't realize there was an easy after market solution that would integrate with the Tesla, I will look into that as well.

I'm a better expert on the MYLR changes, but it shares a lot with the M3, so you'd be looking at everything from matrix headlights to nicer interior door panels, magnetic vs plastic center console closure, metal vs rubber steering wheel thumbwheel buttons, faster media CPU, slightly improved seating materials - and that's just things you can see. Under the skin Tesla is constantly evolving how they make these cars.

I am shocked anyone would even ask if they should buy a 2 year old used car instead of a new one for the same price. That makes no sense at all. You're so worried about hitting non moving objects when being able to go as slow as you need that you would buy a used car? It's not like you're blindfolded, you can still use your eyes to not run into things like people did for decades. It you really want sensors, fine, but don't pay anywhere near what you can get a new Model 3 for. You should be able to find a much better deal on a used Model 3. The market has been crushed the past few months.

• Funny
Reactions: Snowdoody
Boom Roasted. . . Lol,

I had parking sensors in my 21, don't in my 23, and like others have said, once you're used to the eyeball micrometers it's no big deal. But until then just use a tennis ball and string.

I noticed the ultrasonic sensors would "measure" 18in when the new update with Tesla vision says 13" at the same distance, in my 23. True distance was 21" and the surfaces are a large white freezer and large cardboard boxes about 3' high.

I do get the feeling that the ultrasonic sensors were helping when there were sentry mode events happening around my car, it seems that it doesn't report as many sentry mode events when I know people are walking past in the new one, that's my bugaboo with ultrasonic sensors missing.

But it looks wayyy cleaner without those. It's all I look at when I see other new luxury vehicles with all those dime-sized discs all around their cars. Hopefully software updates make Tesla vision much better.