Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model S is a disappointment.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I traded in my 2018 Model S and purchased a new 2023 Model S in September 2023. In many ways I wish I had not. Tesla removed the ultrasonic sensors and replaced them with additional cameras which have been a huge step backwards. The new system is called TeslaVision, which frankly stinks. Many of the features I paid for are not available such as: remote summons, park assist, and auto lane change. The blind spot monitoring system is terrible. Phantom braking can still an issue. Lastly, I am not a fan of stalkless controls on the steering wheel. Frequently (and particularly at night) I find myself searching for the “right” button either to flash my headlights or turn on the wipers. Thank goodness I’ve never had to honk the horn.

The sales experience was the worst I’ve ever experienced. The only way to reach customer service was via txt messages. In addition, Tesla owned me money and it took nearly 4 weeks for them to EFT the funds back to my bank account, even though I had no trouble uploading my final payment within seconds. I loved my 2018 Model S. I do not like this car.

Just curious: did you test drive a new Model S before you bought one? I also replaced my 2018 S with a 2023 S, but I knew what I was getting (and I chose the yoke even though I had the option to get a round wheel). I would prefer stalks, but I’ve gotten used to not having them. I don’t care about Summon or Autopark, but we’ll get them eventually, and the vision-based Park Assist is better than nothing and improving. I didn’t experienced much phantom braking in my 2018 and don’t in my 2023 either. The blind spot monitoring in the 2023 is better than it was in the 2018.

I don’t know how much you drive, but give it more time, it might grow on you. 🙂

I also replaced my mid-2016 MS90D with a new MS LR in December. I understand most of your comments, but the one I don't quite understand is the comment that auto lane change does not work. Did you purchase EAP, or just have the base autopilot. I did decide to purchase EAP, partially for the auto lane change capability which I had very much grown accustomed to on my AP1 vintage car. I actually find it works very well, at least in the "manual" mode where I signal my desire to change lanes. I agree in the navigate on autopilot mode that at times it's logic of changing lanes doesn't always seem that great (it always wants to get in the left lane on a two lane interstate, even when noone else in sight). But otherwise I find auto lane change is a good or better.

I fully understand the comments about stalks. One thing on the horn which I've learned. You don't need to actually press the button. Just take your hand and put it over that right spoke area, so like you were going to press on the center of the wheel, just put your hand fully over the right spoke and it should honk the horn. At least it does for me with my yoke.

I traded in my 2018 Model S and purchased a new 2023 Model S in September 2023. In many ways I wish I had not. Tesla removed the ultrasonic sensors and replaced them with additional cameras which have been a huge step backwards. The new system is called TeslaVision, which frankly stinks. Many of the features I paid for are not available such as: remote summons, park assist, and auto lane change. The blind spot monitoring system is terrible. Phantom braking can still an issue. Lastly, I am not a fan of stalkless controls on the steering wheel. Frequently (and particularly at night) I find myself searching for the “right” button either to flash my headlights or turn on the wipers. Thank goodness I’ve never had to honk the horn.

The sales experience was the worst I’ve ever experienced. The only way to reach customer service was via txt messages. In addition, Tesla owned me money and it took nearly 4 weeks for them to EFT the funds back to my bank account, even though I had no trouble uploading my final payment within seconds. I loved my 2018 Model S. I do not like this car.
I think you'll get used to some of it over time. It's a much nicer car than my 2012 at least. Thankfully you should be able to update to a center horn soon (for a cost I'd assume) so that should take care of that issue. There is a third party company working to bring back turn signal as well. Shouldn't have to go to these lengths for a new car but that's the new Tesla I guess. The vision system is a mess but seems that most of those features should be coming back with an update before summer (maybe).

I can't figure out how to flash the lights without disabling the auto brights too. I have to hold it back down for a second to reenable.

I also replaced my mid-2016 MS90D with a new MS LR in December. I understand most of your comments, but the one I don't quite understand is the comment that auto lane change does not work. Did you purchase EAP, or just have the base autopilot. I did decide to purchase EAP, partially for the auto lane change capability which I had very much grown accustomed to on my AP1 vintage car. I actually find it works very well, at least in the "manual" mode where I signal my desire to change lanes. I agree in the navigate on autopilot mode that at times it's logic of changing lanes doesn't always seem that great (it always wants to get in the left lane on a two lane interstate, even when noone else in sight). But otherwise I find auto lane change is a good or better.

I fully understand the comments about stalks. One thing on the horn which I've learned. You don't need to actually press the button. Just take your hand and put it over that right spoke area, so like you were going to press on the center of the wheel, just put your hand fully over the right spoke and it should honk the horn. At least it does for me with my yoke.
I could never get the palm over right side to work consistently. I put a $1 plastic dot over the horn so I can find it now. I would rather have stalks as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I traded in my 2018 Model S and purchased a new 2023 Model S in September 2023. In many ways I wish I had not. Tesla removed the ultrasonic sensors and replaced them with additional cameras which have been a huge step backwards. The new system is called TeslaVision, which frankly stinks.

I 100% agree with you on the above two points. I have owned two Plaids and am looking for a daily and absolutely won't be shelling out any more money to Tesla unless they add back a working radar and park sensors. Pissed they decided to save money, cheap out and remove them on their top end models.

We are all lemmings to buy them nurtured like this. We are the ones to blame and Elon knows it. We are sheep. Money talks.

I hate hearing things like this. I'm definitely in the market to buy a new electric vehicle but looking at other manufacturers cause I want simple things like parking sensors and stalks. Tesla will eventually learn to give the consumer what they want rather than what Tesla wants. Soon probably....
Tesla is no longer in the position that people have no good alternative. So losing sales over $50-100 in parts seems like a bad move. You'd think Tesla could at least offer that as a paid 'upgrade' option for $250 or something like that.

A lot of the things the OP mentioned are concerns of mine which keep me from wanting to upgrade to a newer model S/Tesla. It's sad that coming from cars 8-9 years ago we seem to have to compromise on upgrading which should be the opposite. I don't want to have to buy EAP when my AP1 could do manual lane changes with the stalk, auto park w/o cameras, etc. Also like their half baked implementation of HW4 and it not being fully functional on cars. Only Tesla can seem to get away with selling a half baked car and making you pay for things like EAP with no ETA on when functionality will work. EAP is standard features on 90% of cars. I get the notion of cars can get better with OTA updates but selling you a car with features that should work rolling off the dealer lot should be common practice.

I got a 23 in September too, and coming from 17 S. I agree on some of the arguments you have.
-Vision only is definitely a step back but with latest updates it got a bit better. Ultrasonics should have stayed.
- Auto lane change works. If you have EAP or FSD.
-The blind system monitoring is better than older ones because older ones did not have any. It being in the center screen is a bit problematic.
- stalkless especially for wipers drive me crazy. it's such bad design to choose something from screen then use steering wheel button.
- horn is even worse in highway when people drift I could not react and if I could not escape to the other lane there would be an accident. ( a retrofit is available nevertheless)
- another problem is the seats are worse quality. I miss the good leather seats of the 17.
- the GUI is horrible. 17 had superior energy and tire pressure app that could be put in the other screen. the new energy app is an abomination which does not give almost any useful info.

but also 23 has so much cool stuff:
- the battery and the range
- motors are better
- I like the yoke. (but still not as useful as a steering wheel still I chose it for variety)

Overall I like it but I would take interface of the old and add at least one stalk or make controls for wipers and headlight redesigned.
some buttons at the back of the yoke or steering wheel could be used to directly use them.

but also 23 has so much cool stuff:
- the battery and the range
- motors are better
- I like the yoke. (but still not as useful as a steering wheel still I chose it for variety)
I'm frankly disappointed with the range, which really goes to being disappointed that I'm not see any significant improvement in energy usage in a Wh/mi terms for highway cruise conditions. For reference, my lifetime average over almost 80k miles on my mid-2016 MS90D with 19" slipstreams was 280 Wh/mi. Very similar driving conditions and over the first 4,600 miles of ownership my 2023 MS LR with standard 19" aeros is running 300 Wh/mi.

While the slightly larger battery helps, the fact I'm not seeing any benefit in energy use results in very little increase in practical range. But nowhere the improvement I expected given all the comments I'd always seen of the benefits of the revised motor setup, etc.

June 2023 Model S Plaid is my first EV. I have another ICE truck with stalks and a round wheel and all that.
  • King of road rocket power never boring
  • King of road, supercar braking never boring
  • Brainless home and best available Supercharging network, total peace of mind
  • I love the look and comfort of the yoke and stalkless driving (only thing I'd change is center horn, but can't be bothered time+expense to swap it out)
  • Widebody with 295s a must and still do the parking lot look back every time
  • Yea, $6K for EAP sucks, but I'd tick the box again as it's a must (FSD is a non-starter for LA metro driving)
I'm giving the market a couple more years to marinate so I have more options like the improved Taycan, Lucid Sapphire, etc w/ NACS. Otherwise, zero regrets getting the MSP. Order placed for the Cyberbeast when it dropped.

IMG_0265 (1).PNG

Last edited:

This only worked about half the time for me in my 2022 MXP. It was sooo flakey. So glad to have a real horn back in my '24 MSP.

Reactions: dsm363
I'm frankly disappointed with the range, which really goes to being disappointed that I'm not see any significant improvement in energy usage in a Wh/mi terms for highway cruise conditions. For reference, my lifetime average over almost 80k miles on my mid-2016 MS90D with 19" slipstreams was 280 Wh/mi. Very similar driving conditions and over the first 4,600 miles of ownership my 2023 MS LR with standard 19" aeros is running 300 Wh/mi.

While the slightly larger battery helps, the fact I'm not seeing any benefit in energy use results in very little increase in practical range. But nowhere the improvement I expected given all the comments I'd always seen of the benefits of the revised motor setup, etc.

I averaged 235 wh/mile in my 2022 MSLR loaner going home last night 131 miles.
Averaged 233 wh/mile driving back to Tesla service the same 131 miles. Temps were 45F starting out at 7 am this morning and rose to 60F by the time I got to Fremont. I lost 1.7% due to headwinds. I have no doubt that summer driving conditions would see a significant improvement even over this.

20240320_095228.jpg_compressed.JPEG

This only worked about half the time for me in my 2022 MXP. It was sooo flakey. So glad to have a real horn back in my '24 MSP.
I tried that multiple times as well. Couldn't get it to work consistently by pushing the center of the right side of the steering wheel.

So am getting the overpriced retrofit. But glad they are actually offering it. I doubted they would for at least a year.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
Does Tesla not run focus groups with prospective buyers of their vehicles? I assumed they would but based on the layout and decisions made, I'm thinking they don't know what people want or they just don't care enough to go that route. I'm holding on to my classic S85 with no AP for as long as it makes practical sense. I plan to pay for a battery upgrade and a drive unit upgrade with the time comes, but I'm not looking forward to replacing mine with a newer Model S.

- stalkless especially for wipers drive me crazy. it's such bad design to choose something from screen then use steering wheel button.

Agree on most of your other points, but this I disagree. Or perhaps you haven't noticed? You can simply press the wiper button on the steering wheel, which activates the wiper once. But at the same time a menu appears on the dash, which you can use with the left scroll wheel. You don't even need to look at the dash, just press the button and scroll up to increase wiper speed. Can be done with keeping both hands on the steering wheel.

Overall I like it but I would take interface of the old and add at least one stalk or make controls for wipers and headlight redesigned.
some buttons at the back of the yoke or steering wheel could be used to directly use them.
I would try the s3xy buttons. And hopefully they release their stalks next month.

One thing about having a center horn is that hopefully you aren’t pushing on it when the airbag goes off. That is one advantage to having the horn buttons on the side.