Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is all new to me as a newbie Tesla owner of a model 3, it’s dated 2022 and done over 14800 miles so far.
The car will be 2 years old this coming September 2024, have checked history in app but nothing is showing.
So they say 2 year check of brakes plus cabin filters, I’m in the UK and will use the Northampton service centre centre so they can look and check over the car etc while doing the work required.
As anyone done this and what kind of costs are expected, Cheevely Ev do mobile work and does a lot more jobs on the car for the same cost.
Just a little confused what is best, as still under warranty until September 2026

This is all new to me as a newbie Tesla owner of a model 3, it’s dated 2022 and done over 14800 miles so far.
The car will be 2 years old this coming September 2024, have checked history in app but nothing is showing.
So they say 2 year check of brakes plus cabin filters, I’m in the UK and will use the Northampton service centre centre so they can look and check over the car etc while doing the work required.
As anyone done this and what kind of costs are expected, Cheevely Ev do mobile work and does a lot more jobs on the car for the same cost.
Just a little confused what is best, as still under warranty until September 2026

Brakes happening now, 8th of June 2024 - it is in Service Centre (Notts).. This is from my estimation, straight from the app at the post date::
  • Brake Fluid check - £16.90
  • Tire rotation - £39.60
  • Brake caliber maintenance - £159.89
Total brakes and wheels service : £259.18 including VAT
I will have discussion with services as if these are stuck some sort and cannot be serviced, then it is warranty issue IMHO, and then I should not pay for service (and repairs) :/

Filters where done at home by ranger, couple of months ago:
  • cabin filter replacement (labour): £ 19.80
  • cabin filter (parts): £ 28:60
So total with VAT is 58.08
total cabin filters is £48.40 + £ 9.68 VAT

My car, model 3 LR (2022) & it is essentially Year 2 service

Issue is that technician cannot do something with calilpers and it iwll end up with new calipers (warranty replacement)

thank god that booked it now, at 49k miles :D so if it is still under warranty, I would probably do it with Tesla as there might be warranty issues and in such case - free repairs.

• Informative
Reactions: carnutt
Upvote 0
The brake pads can be removed, cleaned and greased by any competent garage. But do direct them to the service manual, which is available online. Usual caution about incompetent garages! You might pay anything from £90 to £180. I think Tesla want about £200? Not hard for a competent home mechanic with the tools.

You can certainly change the cabin filters yourself, though a little fiddly compared to what it should be.

Upvote 0
Brakes happening now, 8th of June 2024 - it is in Service Centre (Notts).. This is from my estimation, straight from the app at the post date::
  • Brake Fluid check - £16.90
  • Tire rotation - £39.60
  • Brake caliber maintenance - £159.89
Total brakes and wheels service : £259.18 including VAT
I will have discussion with services as if these are stuck some sort and cannot be serviced, then it is warranty issue IMHO, and then I should not pay for service (and repairs) :/

Filters where done at home by ranger, couple of months ago:
  • cabin filter replacement (labour): £ 19.80
  • cabin filter (parts): £ 28:60
So total with VAT is 58.08
total cabin filters is £48.40 + £ 9.68 VAT

My car, model 3 LR (2022) & it is essentially Year 2 service

Issue is that technician cannot do something with calilpers and it iwll end up with new calipers (warranty replacement)

thank god that booked it now, at 49k miles :D so if it is still under warranty, I would probably do it with Tesla as there might be warranty issues and in such case - free repairs.

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying, prices seem fair going to the service centre, my other ev had always got serviced by dealer so history selling the car etc, so I think like you say going with a SC at least gives the car until warranty runs a history on the app etc.

Upvote 0
The brake pads can be removed, cleaned and greased by any competent garage. But do direct them to the service manual, which is available online. Usual caution about incompetent garages! You might pay anything from £90 to £180. I think Tesla want about £200? Not hard for a competent home mechanic with the tools.

You can certainly change the cabin filters yourself, though a little fiddly compared to what it should be.
It’s keeping that service history up to date just in case of a problem later down the line if needs be with Tesla etc.
Perhaps after warranty may use the Cheevley EV to follow up on the next services required.
Only came across them on the YouTube channel (James/Kate Coates etc.)
But like you say some garages near me won’t even touch a Tesla for the simple jobs.

Upvote 0

Yeah

And service center cannot remove my brake pads due to dirt and *sugar*... This can happen sometimes

Reactions: newoldietessie
Upvote 0

You grease brake pads???

Upvote 0
You grease brake pads???
You apply a special lubricant (it is a form of grease that won't migrate) to the relevant parts of the calipers and, in many cases, to where they contact the pads. Sorry for the oversimplification.

Tesla describe it in their recommended servicing as:
  • Clean and lubricate brake calipers every year or 12,500 miles (20,000 km) if in an area where roads are salted during winter

Upvote 0