Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used MS 19" mag or compatible for spare tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We'll be traveling East to remote locations this Summer (Côte Nord to Natashquan, then Blanc Sablon, Anse-aux-Meadows, Gros Morne, Fogo, St-Pierre-et-Miquelon, St-John, and back through NS) and I thought I should not push my luck too much and I should bring a spare tire & wheel with me. (Last Summer, we cracked a mag in Cape Breton. No way to get a new one before a few days, so we went back (slowly) to Montreal on the cracked mag, re-inflating the tire 2-3 times a day!)

I have an extra tire (145/45R19) after suffering a flat (pot-hole slit) tire last Winter, and purchasing two new tires so they are balanced. So before purchasing a brand-new mag at Tesla (375$+tx last Summer) I'm looking for the possibility to buy either a used one, or a compatible rim or mag. I know that BMW rims might be compatible (perhaps with a centering ring) but that they may interfere with the calipers. (I know that I could purchase BMW spare tires but they are more expansive than buying a mag at Tesla, since I already have a tire.)

I can't find a used MS 19" mag (or at least a single mag, not the set, in Eastern Canada). So I thought I could try one of these after-market mags, which appear to be cheaper. But I'm not sure how reliable they are, and on the other hand, it might not be worth the ~100$ difference compared to a new one at Tesla. Plus, I'd be happy to have this spare one if ever I crack another mag.

What do you think/suggest?

I have a set of aftermarket on my car (my daily wheels) and have been happy with them. They are Replica R187s (lots of others on here have used them as well). Canadian made, have been running them for 6 months and no issues to date.