Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Non-Raven Model S - Stopping Modes in 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I've been researching the Model S market and wanting to know if the "Stopping Mode" HOLD setting ever made it to pre-Raven Model S? i.e. Model year 2017-2018.

There are a lot of threads from when the feature was originally released (almost a year ago in Oct 2019) but I couldn't find any updated threads or recent comments about it in mid-late 2020. From a used shopping perspective, this could make a big difference in whether you'd want a raven or non-raven MS since having the full HOLD mode and one pedal driving adds quite a bit to the driving experience, especially with city driving.

The early threads about this stated correctly that ONLY Raven Model S will receive the HOLD setting for Stopping Mode (Similar to Model 3), since the old induction motors cannot support it. Is this still the case in late 2020 or has there been an update to allow the older Model S to work in a similar way? If there is still no HOLD mode on the pre raven Model S, what happens when you take your foot off the accelerator fully? Does the car just keep slowly rolling until friction slows it down?

It did not. Pre-Raven models with the AC induction front motor (as opposed to the Raven's permanent magnet front motor) still do not have Hold mode as you describe. If you take your foot fully off the accelerator, it will continue to roll below a few miles per hour. If you're on an incline it may eventually stop. If you press the brake to stop, however, then the car will hold the brakes after you let off the pedal - staying stopped and keeping the brake lights illuminated, until you tap the accelerator again.