Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 P100D vs 2020 performance vs 2019 Long range Model S-which to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello to the everyone!

Been here reading for years but needed honest advice and opinions from you highly knowledgable folks.

Looking at 3 options of a Model S to purchase that are all pretty close in price and mileage that are very different:

2018 P100D: Has a sunroof, which is very desireable to me. Also has Ludic+

2019 Raven Long Range: Slowest of the 3 options, about 2K cheaper

2020 Performance: Headrests feel pushed forward more than the ‘18 and ‘19. Are these adjustable?

Really struggling with this decision because each of these cars hits a different sweet spot for me.

A few of the questions i have are: Do these ALL have the turn signal blind spot camera that my Model Y does?

How reliable are the sunroofs?

Are the batteries/drive units reliable on all 3 of these?

If you had to choose, which one would you go with and why? Same color and interior options.

Thank you all, and looking forward to your answers!

Hello to the everyone!

Been here reading for years but needed honest advice and opinions from you highly knowledgable folks.

Looking at 3 options of a Model S to purchase that are all pretty close in price and mileage that are very different:

2018 P100D: Has a sunroof, which is very desireable to me. Also has Ludic+

2019 Raven Long Range: Slowest of the 3 options, about 2K cheaper

2020 Performance: Headrests feel pushed forward more than the ‘18 and ‘19. Are these adjustable?

Really struggling with this decision because each of these cars hits a different sweet spot for me.

A few of the questions i have are: Do these ALL have the turn signal blind spot camera that my Model Y does?

How reliable are the sunroofs?

Are the batteries/drive units reliable on all 3 of these?

If you had to choose, which one would you go with and why? Same color and interior options.

Thank you all, and looking forward to your answers!
Assuming the "conditions" of all 3 are similar - as in mileage, features, no issues or accidents etc, I would always choose the newest one simply because of the (in order of importance) warranty , range and charging speed.

Drive units and batteries have generally been reliable for those years .

The headrests are more ergonomic on the newer cars.

Reactions: Jayskywalker21
Assuming the "conditions" of all 3 are similar - as in mileage, features, no issues or accidents etc, I would always choose the newest one simply because of the (in order of importance) warranty , range and charging speed.

Drive units and batteries have generally been reliable for those years .

The headrests are more ergonomic on the newer cars.
This is probably the best answer. My ONLY gripe is that the 2020s don't have ventilated seats and for me that's a deal breaker somewhat because my back gets sweaty lol. Also you'll probably pay somewhat close to refresh price if you go 2020 then again I haven't done much research yet.

Reactions: SilverGS
i had a 2018 P100 D with a march build date that i traded in this past december for a MSP. i would tell you my sunroof was awesome with no issues during my 5+ years of ownership. also, i had a 72W charger so my charging rates were even faster at home then the new MSP. Make sure the P100 D at least has a march build date because that is when they started the MCU2. if it were me, i would eliminate the 2019 long range and just choose between the two performance models.

Reactions: Jayskywalker21
I'd opt for one of the raven cars (~April 2019+) as they get you true one pedal driving with the permanent magnet front motor, slightly more range/faster charging, and adaptive suspension. Those are all pretty significant upgrades IMO. The performance/P100D cars use the same large rear drive unit. Headrests are adjustable up and down but not fore/aft.

I miss the sunroof I had in my 2015, but I didn't use it very often. They are also expensive to repair if they fail. At least the other cars have glass so you get a little light.