Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used options: Raven X or wait for refresh prices to drop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need a sanity check here. My budget for a used X is about 65ish. With recent price reductions on new vehicles I'm seeing plenty of good Raven options even in the high 50s now. But I'm also seeing refresh models in the high 70s. At this point I feel like I could wait a few months for a used refresh in the mid 70s and stretch my budget a bit for a vehicle that, while only a year older than a comparable 2021, is refreshed with all the latest. Since I own Teslas already and intend to keep this future x for at least 5-6 years, it makes sense to wait and get a used refresh. WWYD?

Depends if you're going to road trip a lot. The charging capability is a huge difference. If you're not, my preference would be the nicest Raven Performance I could find

I don't say we road trip "a lot" but it's not uncommon for us to do so 3-4 times a year. Compared to my LR M3 is the raven going to be much much slower?

I don't say we road trip "a lot" but it's not uncommon for us to do so 3-4 times a year. Compared to my LR M3 is the raven going to be much much slower?

Yes, but how much slwoer depends if you have a Performance or not, wheel size, etc. I'd say plan for an extra 15 minutes per stop compared to a 3LR. The big battery means you can take a lot of energy with you on the first leg, 200+ miles on the first leg at legit highway speeds is no problem at all, but after that you're looking at 25-30 minutes to add 60% to the battery

Raven Long Range Plus were at one point advertised as "capable of" 250kw charging. They never actually did that in the real world. They charge slightly faster than a 100D at the bottom end of the battery, peaking at ~205kw for a short time, and then something gets hot and they have to limit to around 100kw, so they end up about the same above 40%. The refresh charges blazing fast by comparison, there are videos out there with the exact numbers but from low SoC, IIRC they add 60% in 15 minutes

Normally I'm all for buying the older, slightly less high zoot model, especially when the new one comes with a bunch of idiotic control changes that make absolutely no sense, but the charging is such a step change it's hard to ignore it if you're actually roadtripping reasonably often.

Last edited:
Yes, but how much slwoer depends if you have a Performance or not, wheel size, etc. I'd say plan for an extra 15 minutes per stop compared to a 3LR. The big battery means you can take a lot of energy with you on the first leg, 200+ miles on the first leg at legit highway speeds is no problem at all, but after that you're looking at 25-30 minutes to add 60% to the battery

Raven Long Range Plus were at one point advertised as "capable of" 250kw charging. They never actually did that in the real world. They charge slightly faster than a 100D at the bottom end of the battery, peaking at ~205kw for a short time, and then something gets hot and they have to limit to around 100kw, so they end up about the same above 40%. The refresh charges blazing fast by comparison, there are videos out there with the exact numbers but from low SoC, IIRC they add 60% in 15 minutes

Normally I'm all for buying the older, slightly less high zoot model, especially when the new one comes with a bunch of idiotic control changes that make absolutely no sense, but the charging is such a step change it's hard to ignore it if you're actually roadtripping reasonably often.
LR+ is my target purchase. This is very helpful information. If it were solely up to me, and of course like any good marriage it really isn't, I'd go with a 2022 refresh LR for the longevity overall.

I really like ours as a family hauler, despite its glaring flaws. I think patience is going to pay off for anyone looking to buy one of these in the foreseeable future, we are solidly back in good value for the dollar territory in the used $100k luxury car market at this point. 3-4 year old $100k cars are starting to go for $60k again instead of $120k...lol

I really like ours as a family hauler, despite its glaring flaws. I think patience is going to pay off for anyone looking to buy one of these in the foreseeable future, we are solidly back in good value for the dollar territory in the used $100k luxury car market at this point. 3-4 year old $100k cars are starting to go for $60k again instead of $120k...lol
This is sort of my rationale. If a new mx 6 seater is 87k how could anyone ask for $80k for one with 20k miles? 2 year residual values are way less historically. I know this puts owners who paid way more in a situation but markets gonna market.