Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Tesla - Vehicle Maintenance History

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a used Jaguar a few years ago and when I had it in for service, the service advisor printed a copy of the service history for the vehicle for me. I am in the process of buying a used Model S from Tesla and I was wondering if anyone had any luck or experience in obtaining the vehicle history for a used Tesla from Tesla service?

Just purchased a 2017 ms and Tesla refused to share service history w me.

I purchased a used Jaguar a few years ago and when I had it in for service, the service advisor printed a copy of the service history for the vehicle for me. I am in the process of buying a used Model S from Tesla and I was wondering if anyone had any luck or experience in obtaining the vehicle history for a used Tesla from Tesla service?

I asked them, really nicely, and they were able to tell main ticket items. Drive unit replacement battery and damage. Tell them “I recently purchased a vehicle trying to uncover some details on the vehicle. What all has happened on the old system with the car (Pre 18 ish). Then when they say something like “sorry sir we cannot discuss that” simply hang up and call another service center. You will get one that will budge. Just act penniless and worried, that’s what I did lol.

No.

They wont give it to you under guise of privacy, which is bullshit.

And they get away with it because yall keep buying from them and say "eh it doesnt matter about the history of the car, its a Tesla!!"
Actually, this isnt exclusive to Tesla. When I purchased my last used car (AMG Benz) a few years back, from a private owner, I stopped into the local Benz dealership (after the fact, I know..too late then!) with my car itself/car registration/drivers license AND my title in hand. (Had all that because I needed to order a spare fob). I asked the service manager if he could give me a printout out of any service history done at that location (or any and all otherr Benz locations if possible), and he said "sorry, for privacy reasons I cant get you that".

Reactions: Intense1
It seems to be hit and miss, though mostly miss. I bought my car used from Tesla in 10/2019, and I suspect my car's battery has been replaced. It has no battery sticker and its range at 60k miles was only 2 miles less than it was when new. When I asked, Tesla would not tell me anything about it.

Tesla must be referring to the company's privacy about the percentage of failures. (Not that this is actually a valid reason.)

Actually, this isnt exclusive to Tesla. When I purchased my last used car (AMG Benz) a few years back, from a private owner, I stopped into the local Benz dealership (after the fact, I know..too late then!) with my car itself/car registration/drivers license AND my title in hand. (Had all that because I needed to order a spare fob). I asked the service manager if he could give me a printout out of any service history done at that location (or any and all otherr Benz locations if possible), and he said "sorry, for privacy reasons I cant get you that".
Sucks. We had no issue with porsche. I asked for the full service history before purchase and i got 2 pages of *sugar* that was done.

Dealerships -.-

I got the same response from the 3 different Tesla service agents and delivery agent I asked. I have no idea what work (if any) was performed to the vehicle before I bought it, but I can tell you in 2.5 years/45K miles it's had quite a bit done:

1) rear window defroster
2) TPMS system upgrade/retrofit
3) HV battery contactors replaced/HVAC drain hose/12V battery/drive unit/pyro fuse
4) eMMC replacement/upgrade

and yet still on the original tires when I bought the car.

Before I bought my wife's used Lexus, I was able to run the VIN on Lexus's website to see all the maintenance that was done. You don't even have to own the car...it's just free information and is still up to this day:

They won’t give it to you in writing. But if you ask really nicely as to what has been done they’ll verbally tell you over the phone. my car had one oem tire/wheel replaced in its first 35k miles. That’s it. It also had 3 annual maintence performed. Since and add another 45k miles in two years. We replaced 2 door handles, one fob (dropped in the bay…hubby’s fault), airbags (recall) and front half shafts (SB) and one 12v battery.