Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valance Epoch batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check it. . .

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/1...nology-introduces-large-format-lithium-batter

If you follow the link to the Valence website, that's where it gets really interesting. They have several PDF documents you can download.

If I'm reading this material correctly, these are designed as a drop-in replacement for conventional lead-acid automotive batteries. Their size and shape, and voltage (12.8v), are interchangeable. Each unit has its own built-in cell management system, so you can simply charge it up like a lead-acid battery. All the cell balancing and prevention of overcharging or undercharging is handled internally by the battery unit.

Think of what this would mean for conversions. . . You could take an existing gas car that was converted using lead-acid batteries, which would have a typical range of 40 miles per charge, and you could substitute these Epoch batteries on a one-for-one basis and immediately have an 80-mile car.

The units weigh 35% less than lead-acid batteries, so if you can find room in the car you could actually put in more batteries and get well over 100 miles per charge without increasing the weight of the vehicle.

valence_batteries.jpg

But... How much do they cost?!

But... How much do they cost?!

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

They are manufactured in China, and Valence talk somewhat in their FAQ about efforts to ramp up production and get the prices down. I'm sure they will do that, and I'm equally sure it will take a few years at least. I don't see these becoming available for the "shade tree mechanics" converting 1960s-era VW Beetles anytime soon.

Left Coast Conversions or World Class Exotics might have some upscale clients willing to shell out big bucks for conversions using these batteries -- if Valence are willing to even consider selling such piddling quantities, which remains to be seen.