Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire battery drain test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Might help to explain why it's impossible: because you're asking a powerful computer system to run and analyze video from 4 cameras (in fact, it's already running in low power mode) and just somehow "do it without draining more battery". It already consumes well under 1% an hour - and can run multiple days without really dragging your range down. I've left my car at a shop for a week and only noticed it had Sentry on the whole time near the END of the time. That's how little it drags your range down.

Leaving the car for a few hours at a Less Than Secure place doesn't even take a percent.

Also, with the manual line breaks making quoting/reading a real pain. Why?? 😂

It does. Mine does it after almost every drive. Sits there for half an hour or so, hearing the interior fan running in my garage. Starts some minutes after you get out and close the door. It's pretty smart. Then, when it's done with that, a short while later, it goes to sleep (clunk).

Would be odd (but not un-Tesla-like) to hear some cars do it and some don't. 🤔

Interesting... it did work on my model 3 for about a month or so. Am I the only one here where the anti-AC-stink no longer works?

• Informative
Reactions: FalconFour
Possible cause of battery drain,
Have been loseing about 20 miles a day for the last month or so and by chance came upon this issue with battery pre conditioning. Only use it very ocassionally using the Tesla app. and always make sure that I turn OFF pre Conditioning in the app, as I don't need it everyday, but I found when looking In the charging section on the cars screen in the "schedule" section under settings battery pre conditioning was still shown as "ON" at the last set time I had used. The app looks like it didn't turn off pre conditioning on the cars computer. So every day unknown to me the car was warming the battery up and thus perhaps draining the battery.

Mike H - you may be on to something here. I have gone in to my garage and heard my
car "making fan sounds" in the middle of the afternoon/evening/night. How can that
even be possible? I have assumed "the computer is cooling itself" ... whoa, wait a
minute ... why does the computer, in a car that's been sitting in the garage for several
hours, need to cool down at all? There isn't enough air flow to cool it without a fan
running? I guess I should be happy that the fan doesn't run continuously ... phooey.
The temp in my garage is usually in the 50's - isn't that air cool enough to keep the
car (computer?) cool without having to run the fan? For when the car is not in use?
- Jim in the PNW

Since last Post have been in touch with the service guys and they have done a remote diagnostic check and say there is a problem with the autopilot computer not allowing the car to sleep. Booked in but not till end of June as they want it for a bit and no loaners available till then. Will post when job done.
PS. Forgot to mention service guys also said fault has caused new updates to be loaded, but not installed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and KenC