Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire Drain or Insane? Please Help.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my CPO MS75D for almost 2 months now. During the service visit several weeks back, I asked about range and battery usage. They talked to me about it and noted in the service write-up as "customer education". Here's what I see and I need help understanding if this is a problem or not.

Supercharged to 87% at 4pm Saturday
Drove 137.2 miles, spent 42.5 kWh, rate 310 Wh/mi
Supercharged at 4pm Monday (48 hours later) from 9%​

(See pic showing what I just noted). Is this normal for non-trips, i.e. driving 15 to 30 miles each time i'm in the car? With a 75 kWh battery, shouldn't I get more than this... even factoring reserve capacity, what's usable, and the leaving 22% on the table (100% - 87% + 9%)? Doing more math would tell me that at 100%, draining to 0%, I would only get 54.4 kWh.

Range Issue 20160708.jpg

I feel like I am driving a 60D. Please help.

• Informative
Reactions: Grant
The first miles are some of the highest consumption, as the car does a lot of various things. A lot of short trips is worse than a longer one.

So you've had it for two months, hopefully you've taken a 200+ mile trip where you can get much better numbers.
Phantom drain needs to be measured between stop and start, without driving.
If you've got Sentry mode on, that can explain a lot of it, the car doesn't get to sleep.

I certainly understand the first miles with higher consumption, but as you see I averaged 310 Wh/mi for my trips, and am able to get under 300 for some (as you see on the top line).

My car doesn't have sentry mode and I keep it in my garage overnight. Over the course of 48 hours, what would have consumed ~15 kWh of battery?!?