Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Help Evaluating my Battery Analysis (2012 85kwh)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help Evaluating Tesla Battery Analysis

I am looking at a used Tesla, model S. 2012, 85, RWD. It has 202,000 miles. Yes I know that is very high :)

I paid the owner to take it to Tesla for a pre-purchase inspection and they looked at a lot of the basics and then he had them do a battery analysis so I can gauge the current battery degradation. He provided it to me but it doesn’t mean much. Could someone help in understanding it? The car is being offered at a pretty good price so I am just trying to figure out if the battery is good/bad/okay and what I can expect for longevity. Thanks in advance!

——————-

HV Battery Capacity Retention Warranty Check

Vehicle was sold without a HV battery capacity retention warranty.

CAC Fleet Check

The HV battery installed within 5YJSA1DN3CFP02451 has a Calculated Amphour Capacity (CAC) of 190 Ah. This is 4.1 % lower than the average of similar vehicles, which is 198.1 Ah.

This VIN's CAC value is within an acceptable range when compared to its similarly aged fleet. For more information, see Article 5404. Note that CAC data can be inaccurate in certain usage patterns.

The number of drives detected between the selected timestamps was 7.
The average distance per drive was 8.8 miles.

The longest Drive session found between the selected timestamps was 2024-05-05 21:00:48 UTC until 2024-05-05 21:35:36 UTC. The following analysis is based on that event.

Range & Energy used
The vehicle was in Drive for 0.6 hours / 35 minutes.
During this time it travelled 30.0 miles showing a use of 17% displayed SOC, 8.7 kWh and 289 Wh/mi.
Rated range used was 34 miles, it dropped 13% more than distance actually driven.

Driving Statistics
The maximum speed reached during the journey was 96.8 mph.
- The proportion of Drive time spent above 70 mph was 40.8% (14.2 mins).
- The proportion above 80 mph was 18.7% (6.5 mins).
- The proportion above 90 mph was 0.9% (0.3 mins).
The accelerator was pushed aggressively 8 times.

HVAC consumption
HV HVAC used 0.14 kWh which is 1.6% of the total Drive energy, 0.5 miles Rated range or around 4.6 Wh/mi.
Of this, the A/C compressor used 0.14 kWh (1.6%), Cabin Heating used 0.0 kWh (0.0%) and Battery Heating used 0.0 kWh (0.0%).
The average left cabin temperature setpoint was 71.6 degF, the average right temperature setpoint was 71.6 degF.
The coldest ambient temperature was 67.1 degF, the hottest ambient temperature during Drive was 77.0 degF.
The coldest battery temperature was 58.1 degF, the hottest battery temperature was 92.3 degF.
Range Mode was NOT used.

Low Voltage System consumption

The low voltage system (via the DCDC) used 0.25 kWh which is 2.8% of the total Drive energy, 1.0 miles Rated range or around 8.2 Wh/mi.

Help Evaluating Tesla Battery Analysis

I am looking at a used Tesla, model S. 2012, 85, RWD. It has 202,000 miles. Yes I know that is very high :)

I paid the owner to take it to Tesla for a pre-purchase inspection and they looked at a lot of the basics and then he had them do a battery analysis so I can gauge the current battery degradation. He provided it to me but it doesn’t mean much. Could someone help in understanding it? The car is being offered at a pretty good price so I am just trying to figure out if the battery is good/bad/okay and what I can expect for longevity. Thanks in advance!

——————-

HV Battery Capacity Retention Warranty Check

Vehicle was sold without a HV battery capacity retention warranty.

CAC Fleet Check

The HV battery installed within 5YJSA1DN3CFP02451 has a Calculated Amphour Capacity (CAC) of 190 Ah. This is 4.1 % lower than the average of similar vehicles, which is 198.1 Ah.

This VIN's CAC value is within an acceptable range when compared to its similarly aged fleet. For more information, see Article 5404. Note that CAC data can be inaccurate in certain usage patterns.

The number of drives detected between the selected timestamps was 7.
The average distance per drive was 8.8 miles.

The longest Drive session found between the selected timestamps was 2024-05-05 21:00:48 UTC until 2024-05-05 21:35:36 UTC. The following analysis is based on that event.

Range & Energy used
The vehicle was in Drive for 0.6 hours / 35 minutes.
During this time it travelled 30.0 miles showing a use of 17% displayed SOC, 8.7 kWh and 289 Wh/mi.
Rated range used was 34 miles, it dropped 13% more than distance actually driven.

Driving Statistics
The maximum speed reached during the journey was 96.8 mph.
- The proportion of Drive time spent above 70 mph was 40.8% (14.2 mins).
- The proportion above 80 mph was 18.7% (6.5 mins).
- The proportion above 90 mph was 0.9% (0.3 mins).
The accelerator was pushed aggressively 8 times.

HVAC consumption
HV HVAC used 0.14 kWh which is 1.6% of the total Drive energy, 0.5 miles Rated range or around 4.6 Wh/mi.
Of this, the A/C compressor used 0.14 kWh (1.6%), Cabin Heating used 0.0 kWh (0.0%) and Battery Heating used 0.0 kWh (0.0%).
The average left cabin temperature setpoint was 71.6 degF, the average right temperature setpoint was 71.6 degF.
The coldest ambient temperature was 67.1 degF, the hottest ambient temperature during Drive was 77.0 degF.
The coldest battery temperature was 58.1 degF, the hottest battery temperature was 92.3 degF.
Range Mode was NOT used.

Low Voltage System consumption

The low voltage system (via the DCDC) used 0.25 kWh which is 2.8% of the total Drive energy, 1.0 miles Rated range or around 8.2 Wh/mi.

That means it works as expected now. There's no guarantee that it will continue to work fine like this in the future.

Reactions: ucmndd
Upvote 0
That means it works as expected now. There's no guarantee that it will continue to work fine like this in the future.

Exactly this. 👍

Furthermore, that analysis doesn't give any information on module imbalance (which would be a better way to detect impending failure), only the observed capacity of the entire pack. Further furthermore, lots and lots of early Model S pack failures have nothing to do with the cells themselves but rather moisture intrusion, corrosion, failed battery management boards or other supporting electronics, etc etc.

I'll offer the same advice I give to anyone looking at a 2012-2014 Model S:

Are you financially able and willing to spend $7-15k at any moment in response to a sudden and catastrophic drive unit or battery failure? Alternatively, are you willing to dump the car for scrap at any moment and take the loss? If so, proceed at your own risk. If not, do not buy an early Model S at pretty much any price.

Upvote 0
How much is the asking price? It certainly is an early model, 2,451st off the production line? Buying a used Model S:
He wants 10k for it. With the EV incentive/rebate, I’d pay 7k.

Has some other issues: cracked windshield, water leak on the top causing water marks near the rear dome lights, rear passenger window not going up (sensor issue) and small ding on the front right fender which causes the tire to rub when making hard right turns.

To me those all seem solvable and probably things I could fix myself, minus the fender

Upvote 0