Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver to Northern California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning a trip to Northern California from Vancouver BC. Has anyone gone through this roadtrip who is willing to share what they did (where to stop for hotel, what attractions they stopped at washington, oregon, and california/san francisco)?

So far the one that's confirmed in my trip is the tesla factory tour :) I've been looking for places with destination chargers but it seems the one in san francisco are in high end expensive hotels. The ones that are further out and affordable are fully booked for end of august.

Any help/insight/suggestions would be appreciated.

Would recommend the Marriott across the freeway from the factory. Although if you have an afternoon tour appointment, you could stay somewhat outside the Bay Area and drive in.

If you have a ChaDeMo adapter, the Oregon Coast is a nice way to get from Seattle to Northern California. Keep an eye upon supercharge.info for active progress with SCs along the Oregon Coast which will lessen the need for buying or borrowing a ChaDeMo adapter for the trip.

If you're into craft ale, two of the best purveyors of sours and wilds would be Degarde in Tillamook, Oregon and Cascade in Portland, and as long as you're doing those, you might as well head inland to Bend, Oregon and consume a complimentary anniversary flight at Deschutes - the brewery, not the pub. Prepare to be amazed at mile-high McKinley Pass on the way.

And as long as you're doing all of that, you might as well circumnavigate Crater Lake.

I wouldn't waste time with Rogue Brewing but do recommend Seven Devils, which if I remember right is in Coos Bay - it's a small family-run brewpub with good ale and great food.

We do not know when your trip is planned. Supercharger installations have been completed along US101 in Seaside, Oregon and I believe that Eureka, California is close to completion. Rumors abound that Lincoln City, Oregon and Crescent City, California will be next on the hit parade. I cannot compete with Mr. Jones' recommendations for fermented malt beverages, however. The drive from Grants Pass, Oregon to Crescent City via US199 along the Smith River is pretty neat. US101 through the redwoods from Crescent City to near Willits is awesome. As is the California Coast along SR1 at Leggett to where it rejoins 101 just north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Several hotels near the town of Mendocino have HPWC for guests--check PlugShare or Tesla's destination charging site.

You could consider taking SR89 after SCing at the Mt. Shasta Supercharger and spending some time at Lassen Volcanic National Park. A range charge quite possibly could get you to the SC in Corning without much of a sweat. But you would need to check first.

You might also consider spending some time at Monterey or Carmel-By-The-Sea. (Clint Eastwood used to be the mayor of Carmel!) Lots to do and see (Cannery Row, Monterey Bay Aquarium, whale watching voyages), and it is about two hours or so from the factory. A better drive would be to take SR17 over the hill from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz and then proceed south on SR1 to Monterey.

You might think about seeing the Sierra Nevada for your return trip, heading over to Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks. An 80% charge from Yosemite Valley will make Mammoth Lakes (on the eastern slope) easy, and SC all the way north--Mammoth Lakes, Gardnerville (actually Topaz Lake), Reno, Mt. Shasta City and then either direct up I5 or a more scenic drive to Bend and then Detroit Lakes and Portland.

Have a blast! If you decide on hitting the Sierra, send me a PM, and I can give you more info. We live in Fresno.

• Informative
Reactions: Lon12
We do not know when your trip is planned. Supercharger installations have been completed along US101 in Seaside, Oregon and I believe that Eureka, California is close to completion. Rumors abound that Lincoln City, Oregon and Crescent City, California will be next on the hit parade. I cannot compete with Mr. Jones' recommendations for fermented malt beverages, however. The drive from Grants Pass, Oregon to Crescent City via US199 along the Smith River is pretty neat. US101 through the redwoods from Crescent City to near Willits is awesome. As is the California Coast along SR1 at Leggett to where it rejoins 101 just north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Several hotels near the town of Mendocino have HPWC for guests--check PlugShare or Tesla's destination charging site.

You could consider taking SR89 after SCing at the Mt. Shasta Supercharger and spending some time at Lassen Volcanic National Park. A range charge quite possibly could get you to the SC in Corning without much of a sweat. But you would need to check first.

You might also consider spending some time at Monterey or Carmel-By-The-Sea. (Clint Eastwood used to be the mayor of Carmel!) Lots to do and see (Cannery Row, Monterey Bay Aquarium, whale watching voyages), and it is about two hours or so from the factory. A better drive would be to take SR17 over the hill from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz and then proceed south on SR1 to Monterey.

You might think about seeing the Sierra Nevada for your return trip, heading over to Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks. An 80% charge from Yosemite Valley will make Mammoth Lakes (on the eastern slope) easy, and SC all the way north--Mammoth Lakes, Gardnerville (actually Topaz Lake), Reno, Mt. Shasta City and then either direct up I5 or a more scenic drive to Bend and then Detroit Lakes and Portland.

Have a blast! If you decide on hitting the Sierra, send me a PM, and I can give you more info. We live in Fresno.

Wow, thanks so much for the info TaoJones and cpa! My trip is for the second half of August. I'm hoping more SCs are up and running then but I won't be counting on it. I'll mark all the routes/locations you've mentioned. These are good info to share. Thanks again!